Upgrade, but a take-off, stay where I'm at?

kevinp

Okay, let me throw this out to you guys (my extended Jeep crowd). I am facing a decision. Upon learning my Jeep has open diffs, I have decided I want lockers sooner than later. There is a dude here in Hawaii (who might be on this forum I think) who has a seriously beefed up Dana 30 front end (Artec truss, c gussets, upgraded shafts, with 5.13 gears). He's in the market to upgrade his front end. I'm considering buying this axle, installing a locker on it, upgrading my rear to 5.13s, axleshafts and lock it. All this is on an 07 sport manual with 35s. NOW, I understand the optimal gearing for 35s is 4.88, but the 5.13s will give me a head start on 37s, but buying 37s will be many, many moons from now. What say the collective Jeepieness here? OH, the flip side is I beef up my OWN axles with lockers, but go with 4.88s and leave the idea of 37s sitting on the trail behind me unless I go back in and regear.

Input?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I would pass unless its a really really good deal. 5.13's leave a really small pinion and will be easier to break. Not to mention 37's and 5.13's. I think for what you could get that axle for you could probably lock yours and be good to go on 35's. But that is just what I would do.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'd have to agree with OverlanderJK, unless it's a screaming deal, I would pass on it. A beefed up housing won't keep your axle shafts or r&p from blowing.

kevinp

Thank you both for the input. Now I have to ask, what would you consider a really really good deal? Because I'm in uncharted territory here.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you both for the input. Now I have to ask, what would you consider a really really good deal? Because I'm in uncharted territory here.

It's hard to say... maybe $400. No matter how you look at it, it's still just a Dana 30.

kevinp

Oh, labor will be free. Well, maybe a couple of pizzas. And a few bucks for the garage rental.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom