Gears and RPM

MOX4x4

Anyone interested in creating a Gear/RPM/Tire Size database? It could be helpful for the "What gear should I run" question.

2017 JK 2-Door
3.6L
35" Nitto RidgeGrapplers
4.56 Gears
2,300 rpm at 60 MPH.

JK60mph.jpg

aermotor

Have you seen the charts that already exist?

3.6L

10958f88f8c24be10e0c763a04951f80.png

--

3.8L

jk_ratio-chart-12.png

J

JKDream

Have you seen the charts that already exist?

3.6L

10958f88f8c24be10e0c763a04951f80.png

--

3.8L

jk_ratio-chart-12.png

I'm actually curious if this would provide some clarification on whether or not those tire sizes are sidewall heights or true ride heights.
My 37's and 5:13's is almost dead on to the "35" on that chart, not 37s.

aermotor

I'm actually curious if this would provide some clarification on whether or not those tire sizes are sidewall heights or true ride heights.

Pretty sure they are just stated heights and not real world heights.

MOX4x4

Ok, never mind. Just went out and checked, 70mph with my short 35's. Looks like the chart is spot on 2,700.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Interesting. I'm auto - close to 3k rpms at 70.

might need to get the GPS out and check the MPH.

Yep, verify with GPS, I'm almost willing to bet you flashed the wrong tire size. It's easy to do. You need to measure from the ground to the center of the axle and multiply by 2. But GPS will get you there too. Just keep adjusting tire size until you get it right. :thumb:

zimm

Caught the Bug

It's real world height. My 315 duratracs are actually 33.75" tall with weight on them.

does the real world hight matter? I mean, if you have like 33,5 inch tall with x amount of cargo and empty you have 34 inch of hight, you still have the same radius of the tire so I do not understand all this fuzz about real hight an mesured hight.

For me the interesting size must be when the tired is unloaded becuase you should always have the same tire diamater, radius with or withoult load.

Or I´m totaly out on a bicycle tour here?

WJCO

Meme King
does the real world hight matter? I mean, if you have like 33,5 inch tall with x amount of cargo and empty you have 34 inch of hight, you still have the same radius of the tire so I do not understand all this fuzz about real hight an mesured hight.

For me the interesting size must be when the tired is unloaded becuase you should always have the same tire diamater, radius with or withoult load.

Or I´m totaly out on a bicycle tour here?

The distance between the center hub of the wheel and the ground will change as you add weight to the vehicle. This will also change depending on the air pressure.

White Russian

37" Trail Graps here with auto, 5:13's and right around 2800rpm at 70mph.

How do you like that if you had to do it again would you go 4.88 or stay 5.13's

Whats everyone else's opinion I have a 2013 JKU with 3.6 and an Auto on 37's I was planing on re-Gearing as well but I'm at a crossroads between 4.88's and 5.13's.
Its My Daily Driver and I like to drive it to the trail.

Last edited:
Top Bottom