Maximus-3 vs Rhino Rack

SwamiCJ7

Ok, so I'm pretty undecided on the 2 different rack systems. So, I would like your opinion / thoughts on why you preferred one over the other. From what I've read online and through forums, I have assessed the following, pro's / con's are all mixes in:

Maximus-3:
- 4 mounting points vs Rhino Racks 6 mounting points
- Rear mounting points attach to roll cage / sports bar
- You can run the rack without the hard top
- There are 2 rack sizes, 60" and 76"
- Limited feedback / online following; seems "less popular" than Rhino Rack
- Based on above comment, latest forum posts I found was in mid / late 2016

Rhino Rack:
- Gaining "popularity" for its innovation compared to other rack systems; lots of positive feedback
- Lots of accessories, but may also be attached to Maximus rack as a result of earlier co-development / collaboration
- Rear rack points are supported through tub frame / outline. US that better than roll cage?
- Only used wit hard top
- Only one rack size, 72"

From a price point, Rhino Rack are slightly more costly but Northridge4x4.com has 25% off sale which is making the comparison by cost pretty much dead even. Also, I believe that the overall high is also pretty dead even.

From my perspective, I'm looking to do more overland trips with the long term goal to buy a rooftop tent (RTT).

So, please enlighten me with you insights on why you chose one over the other.

Thanks!

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I have the rhino rack and love it. Does everything it's supposed to, has never leaked or rattled and I've had over 100kg on it quite a few times.

It does however make the hardtop extremely heavy making it at least a 2 man lift. The other thing you won't find in the advertising is that there is a HUGE difference in height between the quick release legs and the standard legs. The quick release system is about 100mm taller.

Also i don't know where you got co-development from. The rhino rack backbone system was originally designed in Australia by a small company and the design sold to rhino rack.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RubiXplr

Leaning toward the Rhino-rack

I’m interested in following this thread, with hopes of learning something. I’ve researched these two options as well and I’m currently leaning toward the Rhino-rack backbone system. I prefer the way it integrates to the hardtop and can be removed all at once, without additional alignment considerations. Also, I swap to the soft top for the summer and the Maximus System mounts to the soft top mounting bracket locations, so I would have to remove those brackets completely with the top - this is not a big deal, but I expect it to require a bit of extra attention to realign the brackets and top during hardtop installation or remove and install these brackets separately. I typically leave the soft top brackets installed year round, which I could not do with the Maximus. All considered, both systems seem like great options.

Top Bottom