Play in Front DS U-Joints?

Jeepfan30

How much play should there be in the h block u-joints on a front DS? I have a JE Reel with greasable u-joints, about 35k miles on it. When I grab the h block I can wiggle it back and forth, decent amount of play. Time for new u-joints? Thanks,

WJCO

Meme King
Post a video. Play at the joint itself should be zero. However, where it goes into the gear box, there should be a little bit of gear lash on all gear boxes.

Jeepfan30

Post a video. Play at the joint itself should be zero. However, where it goes into the gear box, there should be a little bit of gear lash on all gear boxes.

Thanks. It is not rotational play, backlash between gears. It is up and down play in the h block at the transfer case end. There is no play in the pinion, or TC output flange, all in the u-joints.

JeepJeep75

Thanks. It is not rotational play, backlash between gears. It is up and down play in the h block at the transfer case end. There is no play in the pinion, or TC output flange, all in the u-joints.

U-joints should have zero side-to-side play as you described. You should replace the u-joints ASAP.

Top Bottom