Thoughts on the Maximus-3 carrier? Or another option..

Adamdrubicon

I'm looking at getting a carrier for my 2015 hard rock. At first I was going to get the teraflex. I see mostly positive things about it but then I saw the posts about the breaking. And I don't really like how it slides in with those two bolts to tighten. I don't plan on doing any crazy off roading just some mild stuff in the summer when camping. The aev looks good but I don't want to loose my hook and I don't like how it's not centre. I have 35 wheels on 20 inch wheels that are about 110 pounds. The stock carreir and tail gate are holding op ok but it's only been on the pavement. What do you guys think of the Maximus-3? I don't see much online about it. I've already done around 15 hours of research and I'm no closer to a decision. Some people even say the stock carrier will be ok....I've added rubber tubing to the bump stops so there are making contact now. Any info would be amazing.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I'm looking at getting a carrier for my 2015 hard rock. At first I was going to get the teraflex. I see mostly positive things about it but then I saw the posts about the breaking. And I don't really like how it slides in with those two bolts to tighten. I don't plan on doing any crazy off roading just some mild stuff in the summer when camping. The aev looks good but I don't want to loose my hook and I don't like how it's not centre. I have 35 wheels on 20 inch wheels that are about 110 pounds. The stock carreir and tail gate are holding op ok but it's only been on the pavement. What do you guys think of the Maximus-3? I don't see much online about it. I've already done around 15 hours of research and I'm no closer to a decision. Some people even say the stock carrier will be ok....I've added rubber tubing to the bump stops so there are making contact now. Any info would be amazing.

Idk about that carrier but I sure like my AEV one. And if you're that attached to the tow hook, I've read you can modify it to fit. I personally don't like a tow point that's not captured so I just have a Factor 55 attachment in the receiver. And I don't even notice it's off-center now. But it does leave the tailgate handle more accessible.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jkratt

The Teraflex Hinged tire carrier had an issue with a brakage. I am sure somebody will provide the article. With that said, I have one and have not had any issues. I run a 35 inch tire and the assembly keeps the tire tight against the carrier and the bump stop on the other side. Absolutely no rattle or tire movement. I like the tight fit against the jeep and the one handed operation of the tailgate. I also run a first gen poison spyder rear bumper and like the clean look of the combo. I check my tire carrier routinely to make sure there are no issues. It has been two years, all good.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

trailraider

i Run the maximus-3 on my jeep. Its alright. worth the money?... MEH. the carrier is good but the accessory add ons are not coated well. I've had mine on for only about 6 months and the fuel can holder is already showing signs of rust.this is not from lack of cleaning.
i don't think i would buy it again. i have the hard rock as well , and if the guys at AEV would have actually wanted the business and returned phone calls , i would probably be running that. but as their customer serviced sucked i looked for a alternative.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like an okay setup and if I had to choose between it and a Teraflex, I'd go with this.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I'm looking at getting a carrier for my 2015 hard rock. The aev looks good but I don't want to loose my hook and I don't like how it's not centre. I have 35 wheels on 20 inch wheels that are about 110 pounds.

Couple comments here:

It sounds like you're interested in keeping your stock bumper since you prefer to keep your stock tow hooks,

The Hard Rock bumper was made to work with the AEV carrier so you wouldn't have to scrap that,

It sounds like you prefer the one-hand opening method for the carrier as opposed to one where you first open the carrier and then the tailgate separately so...

The reason the AEV has the tire offset slightly towards passenger is so you can actually reach the handle with a 40" tire mounted. I just saw a buddy's rig with the Evo gate mounted carrier, which has the tire mounted in the middle, and with a 37" tire, you have to reach behind the tire to grab the handle. Forget for a moment that it looks "off" and remember that it's functional.

If you're really hung up on keeping your tow hook, you can probably upgrade to some longer bolts to account for it and keep it in place. Go look at my build thread. It has some up close pictures of how the AEV carrier bracket mounts and you'll get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

My personal preference was to get the weight of the tire off the tailgate and onto the frame. I also wanted to keep a one-handed operation, which necessitates that it be linked to the tailgate through a link. The only downside to that is that if you hit something on the trail, you could transfer the shock into the tailgate and damage it, but based on the type of offroading you said you do, that won't be a problem.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Couple comments here:

It sounds like you're interested in keeping your stock bumper since you prefer to keep your stock tow hooks,

The Hard Rock bumper was made to work with the AEV carrier so you wouldn't have to scrap that,

It sounds like you prefer the one-hand opening method for the carrier as opposed to one where you first open the carrier and then the tailgate separately so...

The reason the AEV has the tire offset slightly towards passenger is so you can actually reach the handle with a 40" tire mounted. I just saw a buddy's rig with the Evo gate mounted carrier, which has the tire mounted in the middle, and with a 37" tire, you have to reach behind the tire to grab the handle. Forget for a moment that it looks "off" and remember that it's functional.

If you're really hung up on keeping your tow hook, you can probably upgrade to some longer bolts to account for it and keep it in place. Go look at my build thread. It has some up close pictures of how the AEV carrier bracket mounts and you'll get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

My personal preference was to get the weight of the tire off the tailgate and onto the frame. I also wanted to keep a one-handed operation, which necessitates that it be linked to the tailgate through a link. The only downside to that is that if you hit something on the trail, you could transfer the shock into the tailgate and damage it, but based on the type of offroading you said you do, that won't be a problem.

LOL!! I was just about to respond to that post when I started reading yours. Well said and really, the AEV tire carrier is the best option for something like this or at least, in my opinion.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
LOL!! I was just about to respond to that post when I started reading yours. Well said and really, the AEV tire carrier is the best option for something like this or at least, in my opinion.

:thankyou:

I've only heard of this Maximus company once before and I have never seen or heard anyone I know of running them. I'm not a fan of being any one's guinea pig for parts.

MOX4x4

Idk about that carrier but I sure like my AEV one. And if you're that attached to the tow hook, I've read you can modify it to fit. I personally don't like a tow point that's not captured so I just have a Factor 55 attachment in the receiver. And I don't even notice it's off-center now. But it does leave the tailgate handle more accessible.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Same Here, the AEV tire carrier is really nice option for the factory bumper. As far as off center.. you will not notice, or care, after about 5 minutes.

Baja

Maximus 3 Comments

I have had this carrier for the past 32,000 miles. I like it a lot.

The good:
- The ease of opening your gate is nice. That was important in a carrier for me. I did not want to fool with additional latches, etc.
- It is strong and the install was pretty simple.
- The third brake light and antenna mast are nice.
- They have accessory mounts for jacks, gas cans, roto-packs, etc. I only have the Jerry can holder. It is pretty simple. It uses a ratchet strap to hold the can in, which you have to provide yourself, plus remove the hooks from, but I can say that it is rock solid.

The bad:
The isolator which the carrier closes against in order to snug everything up to prevent vibration/squeaking breaks. I have gone through two of them. They both broke fairly quickly. It is made out of a harder material. I think it may be derlin? before it breaks, the rack is virtually noise free. I do get some occasional squeaking and a rattle. The rattle comes from the cheap adjustable rod end that they use. I have been meaning to replace it with a quality U.S. made one, but just haven't done it yet. I am sure that will cure it. The problem is that due to the broken isolator, it allows the loose tolerances of the rod end to rattle. Other than that the tire squeaks from rubbing on occasion, depending on the road surface you are on. Usually bad freeway hop does it. then I can be on a rough dirt road and it doesn't squeak at all lol. I think that a rubber bumper that pushes away on the carrier when closed, such as the stock set up would be a better design. I have been meaning to play around with some ideas, but just need to make the time to do it.

All in all, I am happy with it. I find it hard to believe there is a perfect carrier out there that will open when you open your gate. I have friends who have bumper mounted units which are independent of the gate and some of those sound like they are falling apart when going down the road. I also entertained the Crawler Concepts unit, but went with the Maximus due to the available options for accessory mounts. I liked the poison spyder bumper/carrier that opens with the gate, but just didn't want to spend the coin and add the weight.

If anyone wants pics of the two issues I am referring to on my carrier, shoot me a PM with your mobile number and I will take and text you some photos.

Adamdrubicon

I'm also looking at the evo hinge mount. Is tough to pick one of these carriers there's no many to choose from. I was also thinking I could just get the teraflex hinge and keep my carrier. At least that would beef up my tail gate.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I'm also looking at the evo hinge mount. Is tough to pick one of these carriers there's no many to choose from. I was also thinking I could just get the teraflex hinge and keep my carrier. At least that would beef up my tail gate.

The Teraflex tire carrier is the Ford Pinto of the carrier world.

Honestly, you'd be better off just upgrading to the Skyjacker TGSJK1 Tailgate Saver Spare Tire Support. It's 1/10th the cost of that Teraflex abomination.

Skyjacker-Tailgate-Saver-Spare-Tire-Support-TGSJK1a.jpg

Top Bottom