CROSSROADS; need help?!

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
So I am headed to Moab in a little over a week(next Friday the 10th). I have had death wobble for quite some time that unfortunately prevented me from getting everything else done that I wanted to do before the trip.

So my dilemma is this:
Do I buy a full size spare or new front driveshaft?

I am currently sitting on cooper stt pro 37x13.50. And running my old 35" falken as a spare. My rear diff is open so my plan has been if I blew a tire on a trail I would put the spare on the rear and get it off the trail. (Trailering to Moab anyway)

I am also sitting on 4" Evo Plush Rides and still have the factory driveshafts and while it has been ok so far I am worried it could fail with the 37's.

We are running Green day(area bfe), rusty nail, and possibly behind the rocks. If that makes a difference in anyone's advice/opinions.

Build Thread - "Jenny"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?41740-The-build-of-Jenny&highlight=build jenny

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
So I am headed to Moab in a little over a week(next Friday the 10th). I have had death wobble for quite some time that unfortunately prevented me from getting everything else done that I wanted to do before the trip.

So my dilemma is this:

I am currently sitting on cooper stt pro 37x13.50. And running my old 35" falken as a spare. My rear diff is open so my plan has been if I blew a tire on a trail I would put the spare on the rear and get it off the trail. (Trailering to Moab anyway)

I am also sitting on 4" Evo Plush Rides and still have the factory driveshafts and while it has been ok so far I am worried it could fail with the 37's.

We are running Green day(area bfe), rusty nail, and possibly behind the rocks. If that makes a difference in anyone's advice/opinions.

Build Thread - "Jenny"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?41740-The-build-of-Jenny&highlight=build jenny

Buy the spare. you can drive home with no front drive shaft, plus what is going to happen is your front drive shaft is going to limit your front flex/droop; you will likely tear the boot on the exhaust cross over when it makes contact, that will cause it to spill grease, but isn't going to SUDDENLY cause any failure. you can get by for a few weeks or more with a torn boot. My vote is for the spare. 100%

Last edited:

RUBIBLUE

Tire or driveshaft

Buy the spare. you can drive home with no front drive shaft, plus what is going to happen is your front drive shaft is going to limit your front flex/droop; you will likely tear the boot on the exhaust cross over when it makes contact, that will cause it to spill grease, but isn't going to SUDDENLY cause any failure. you can get by for a few weeks or more with a torn boot. My vote is for the spare. 100%

I agree the correct size spare would be a good choice. I do hope that when you installed the 4" lift that you also replaced your factory CV with a high clearance CV and either installed exhaust spacers (ok option) or installed a exhaust kit that routes the passenger side behind the transmission cross member (Much better). both are not that expensive and will give you a little more piece of mind.;)

jeeeep

Hooked

So my dilemma is this:

Build Thread - "Jenny"

you definitely want a matching spare. depending on your existing tread wear you may not be able to run it for long if you end up using it (it could cause gear/transfer case damage) but it'll be better than trying to run a 35. If it were me, I'd get 2 new tires, use one of the others as a spare - but that's just my OCD.

the trails you plan to run will probably cause the front stock driveshaft fail pretty quick, depending on your driving style.

I was on a run in September (not Moab but similar terrain) and a Jeep in our group - JKU, 37's stock driveshafts ...it was doing great until about midday when we had to go up another incline that started with a ledge bump, that's when the front driveshaft decided to fail. it didn't fall out but it was just spinning in it's repezza casing. they had to get winched up to the flat area and removed the DS which ended their day.

If you have the budget do it right and have fun :thumb:

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
you definitely want a matching spare. depending on your existing tread wear you may not be able to run it for long if you end up using it (it could cause gear/transfer case damage) but it'll be better than trying to run a 35. If it were me, I'd get 2 new tires, use one of the others as a spare - but that's just my OCD.

the trails you plan to run will probably cause the front stock driveshaft fail pretty quick, depending on your driving style.

I was on a run in September (not Moab but similar terrain) and a Jeep in our group - JKU, 37's stock driveshafts ...it was doing great until about midday when we had to go up another incline that started with a ledge bump, that's when the front driveshaft decided to fail. it didn't fall out but it was just spinning in it's repezza casing. they had to get winched up to the flat area and removed the DS which ended their day.

If you have the budget do it right and have fun :thumb:

Luckily all my tires have less than 100 miles on them. I just remembered I have a spare joint for the stock shafts. Also have a buddy not using his old shaft anymore that I could probably grab as a spare

Build Thread - "Jenny"

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug

This reminded me that I have a spare joint! Have a buddy that doesn't use his oem shaft anymore so I may snag that just in case. Thanks everyone!

Build Thread - "Jenny"

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
As mentioned deff the spare tire. Even with you having an open diff the traction control in the Jeep will kick in if it sees the one tire spinning faster than the other due to incorrect size

Top Bottom