EVO bolt on coilovers VS plushride + King 2.5 adj VS. Front coil overs only?

zimm

Caught the Bug
I'm just not happy with how the Fox 2.0 IPF shocks are working with the EVO 3" plushrides that I recently installed. I can't put my finger on it, but I don't like the dampening. I get a lot of roll when quickly transitioning left to right, and wallow when running over undulating pavement.

I'm faced with dropping $2k for King 2.5" adjustable shocks to dial it in.

Or with that much investment, would it make more sense to jump to the bolt on coilovers? Or coil overs up front, and run the king 2.5" shock in the rear? That would be cheaper and I wouldn't have to worry about a rock taking out the vulnerable coilover.

I am concerned about noise with the coilovers. I'm a daily driver and run 95% street. I do go off-roading every month or two. I also tow a camper. I'm happy with the spring rate in the rear for handling the camper, but if I go coilover back there, I'll need to go with the heavier spring from what I read on the forum here.

I'm happy with my off-road performance, but what will do better on the street?

Finally, I'm running AEV wheels which are something like 5" backspace, so maybe the coilover won't work anyway if the tires will eat them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're not already running a drag link flip/track bar relocation bracket, I might start there instead.

zimm

Caught the Bug
If you're not already running a drag link flip/track bar relocation bracket, I might start there instead.

Already got the EVO flip. It really tightened up the steering and makes highway tracking much better. I just want to solve the rolley-polly feeling.

GraniteCrystal

Wouldn't the rolley-polly feeling be more a function of springs that shocks? I'd hate to see you drop that amount of $ on King shocks and still have the same feeling due to how the plush rides are handling

aermotor

Ride is subjective. I ran plush 4" coils with Elka shocks for 5 years and the ride was stiff but soft, no wobble feeling.

It seems like more people are saying the 3" plush are too soft for them lately. Coilovers will cost you twice what King 2.5's will and will take more work to dial in.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I'm pretty sure you'd need spacers with COs at least in the front. Considering you're in VA, you may want to consider how much maintenance you're willing to do on a daily driven car with COs that sees salted roads. Standard springs and shocks would likely be much easier to care for.

It sounds like you're looking at the adjustable King 2.5's so at least you'd be in control of the dampening aspect and that may help correct some of that roll you're talking about. But if you're still set on COs you can definitely do fronts and rears separately. Just consider whether you really need them.

FuriousDz

ive read some good things about the rancho 9000 shocks which are also adjustable maybe as an alternative to what you would spend on the kings.

I will be in a similar boat early next year when I decide to do my lift. Love the idea of coilovers but to be honest living in jersey Im not sure i want to spend the money to have them trashed by east coast weather. plus as others have mentioned taking the time to dial them in and keeping them maintained needs to be considered.

Just to be clear I dont have first hand experience with the ranchos but from what ive read I will be considering them when it comes time.

benatc1

Hooked
May not be exactly what your looking for but I've been happy with the pairing of the evo plush rides and rancho 9ks, while I do like the ride and it was affordable at the time i do use mine a lot but may move to a king shock or bo coilover someday. Theses shocks and springs ride well together imo and are adjustable

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

benatc1

Hooked
May not be exactly what your looking for but I've been happy with the pairing of the evo plush rides and rancho 9ks, while I do like the ride and it was affordable at the time i do use mine a lot but may move to a king shock or bo coilover someday. Theses shocks and springs ride well together imo and are adjustable

shin0bi1

Hey I am rocking the 4" evo enforcer with 2.5 kings non adjustables. For my kind of daily driving and trail riding it is perfect. I have gone thru 2 sets of rubicon shocks and they could not hold up to the abuse i put them through. These king shocks laugh at everything i put them through offroading. On the pot holes streets of chicago, they do fairly well just note that they can be a little aggressive in rebounding but the confidence of traction is there. I get no feeling that 4 door jku acts like a boat on water anymore and i can aggressively corner and brake now. It definitely feels more sporty than a boat fashow

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
May not be exactly what your looking for but I've been happy with the pairing of the evo plush rides and rancho 9ks, while I do like the ride and it was affordable at the time i do use mine a lot but may move to a king shock or bo coilover someday. Theses shocks and springs ride well together imo and are adjustable.

May not be exactly what the OP is looking for either but I am really happy with the EVO Double Throwdown, but then, I guess ride is subjective so what do I know.

Just kidding.

I drove your rig Ben and I must say that was a nice setup you have, so I can second what big Ben is stating here.

Testlab

Why replace shocks at all? The Fox 2.0 series is tunable, you could have them revalved yourself in an afternoon.

Really, any replacement shock could put you in exactly the same boat, because what feels too soft to you is too firm to someone else. This way it feels right to the person that matters- you.

If you need walked through it feel free to pm me, or there are tons of videos online.

Also, before you get scared of it, you can run them with air in the IFP chamber instead of nitrogen to feel things out, then later have a shop charge them with nitrogen once you have the time sorted. A bicycle pump is plenty to get the pressure up.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I hate to admit it, but maybe the plushrides aren't for me. Maybe I'll go back to rock Krawler. 3.5 instead of the old 2.5's. Heck maybe 4.5's in the back since they sag back there. I did like their street manners, but not the ride height.

Ddays

Hooked
I would try an adjustable shock before I dropped the coin on coilovers. I'm running Fox 2.0 adjustables and am very happy with them. Lots of guys say good things about the adjustable Ranchos too.

Top Bottom