Securing winch line for daily driving?

jkjurny

How are people securing their winch lines for daily driving? Hook on a shackle?

The Factor 55 Prolink looks cool, but I'm worried someone will steal it. Most people won't know it's worth that much, but it's still a worry.

Do people just go hookless and tuck in the winch line end?

Suggestions please. Not sure what the best way is. Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just hook mine to a shackle. If you have a safety thimble, you can just suck up the line till it rests on the fairlead.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I secure it to a shackle as well, but then I like to protect it with a fresh coating of mud.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1359573221.493771.jpg

Skirmish

If you do get a safety thimble I would suggest the Viking. It has a bigger hole so you can flip the shackle through it and have the flat pin for the strap. Suck it in when not using it. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1359586591.942951.jpg

GCM 2

I have been looking at the thimbles but didn't like the small hole for just the shackle pin. I now know which one I will go with. VIKING!

:thumb:

I have a couple of shackles/D rings/clevis that are up to 7/8" pin in my recovery gear, rated way more than my winch and line could ever pull, but it fits just fine through the Viking thimble. Now that 7/8" pin will not fit through my EVO 1/4 pounder front bumper or rear D ring mounting points only 3/4" and smaller.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I have a couple of shackles/D rings/clevis that are up to 7/8" pin in my recovery gear, rated way more than my winch and line could ever pull, but it fits just fine through the Viking thimble. Now that 7/8" pin will not fit through my EVO 1/4 pounder front bumper or rear D ring mounting points only 3/4" and smaller.

One of my first purchases was the ARB recovery kit that had shackles, 3 straps, snatch block, etc. Those shackles have the 5/8" pins so when it comes time to drop the smittybilt for a 1/4 pounder I should be in good shape. :thumb:

It's nice to know the Viking can accommodate larger recovery gear. That makes it much more user friendly on the trail! :beer:

Skirmish

The one issue with leaving the line out if it is synthetic is you are exposing that section of line to the sun unless you run your rock sleeve over the exposed part. Just something to keep in mind. UV is bad for synth.

jkjurny

The one issue with leaving the line out if it is synthetic is you are exposing that section of line to the sun unless you run your rock sleeve over the exposed part. Just something to keep in mind. UV is bad for synth.

Thanks. Didn't know that. Good reason to buy the rope cover then.

Top Bottom