Rear drive line removal problems

mauijim

So I have a 2012 JK sport that I'm swapping axles out with front and rear Dana 44's from a Rubicon. The front was a breeze and the rear was until the driveline won't come apart. I have removed the 8 bolts but it just doesn't want to separate. I'm new at this and I need some help. Any suggestions on what to do or what I haven't done? Please help.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jkrichard

They are usually just a little stuck on there. I had to tap mine a few times with a soft mallet just to free it up a little. It should come off after a few light hits.

bthomas

Best I remember, there's a few small holes thru the back side of the yoke, you can tap the joints out of the yoke hopefully pretty easily that way. I'll see if I can find one of my old ones and get a pic. I discovered these the hard way... AFTER spending WAY to much time tapping all around with a rubber mallet. A few taps on either side with a flat punch and it was out.
Image1488588042.555673.jpg
Something like that, use the larger non threaded holes.
Image1488588193.982980.jpg

Last edited:

scull20

Best I remember, there's a few small holes thru the back side of the yoke, you can tap the joints out of the yoke hopefully pretty easily that way. I'll see if I can find one of my old ones and get a pic. I discovered these the hard way... AFTER spending WAY to much time tapping all around with a rubber mallet. A few taps on either side with a flat punch and it was out.
View attachment 246615
Something like that, use the larger non threaded holes.
View attachment 246616

This is the key. Once you get it started with a punch/screwdriver/etc. it should wiggle free pretty easily.

ChuckMRN

Just use the short end of the allen wrench you use to remove the bolts. Light taps around in a circle gets it done

mauijim

Hey thanks everyone...I got it apart and was very easy actually....used the center punch with a 2 lbs hammer and hit the side slightly and bam !!! It popped right out!!!! Thanks again everyone!!!![emoji41][emoji1303]

Top Bottom