Tight/pulling steering

zombie hunter

2013 sahara 61000ks
Been having steering issues for awhile ever since power steering pump packed up. Had that replaced aswell as a faulty damper replaced... still no luck.
Just upgraded to HD ball joints , Teraflex HD tie rod and drag link and still no luck.
They have done alignment and all specs in order according to local shop.
Steering doesnt feel light and smooth like it was before. It tends to pull out while driving no matter what speed. I was told power steering box could be the issue. I see there is a sweat or it could be a leak on the box.
As per previous post ive checked everything what you guys recommended, unfortunately havent found sum1 with lower adjustable control arms 2 check of thats the issue.
Any advice would be highly appreciated

Sent from my SM-G920F using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Check tire pressure. You could also disconnect the drag link from the pitman arm and turn the steering wheel one revolution in each direction and see if you feel binding. That would tell you if it is the box or intermediate shaft at least. Just be careful you don't turn the wheel too far and set it back in original location.

And your sure this problem started before you replaced the dampener? If your not sure, I would remove that and go for a test drive.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
From the pictures, it looks like your drag link is flipped (raised) but the trac bar is still mounted to the factory location. This might be a problem, it also looks lime ypu have almost no caster... but I'm not convinced that would cause the symptoms you are describing.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
2013 sahara 61000ks
Been having steering issues for awhile ever since power steering pump packed up. Had that replaced aswell as a faulty damper replaced... still no luck.
Just upgraded to HD ball joints , Teraflex HD tie rod and drag link and still no luck.
Steering doesnt feel light and smooth like it was before. It tends to pull out while driving no matter what speed. I was told power steering box could be the issue. I see there is a sweat or it could be a leak on the box.
As per previous post ive checked everything what you guys recommended, unfortunately havent found sum1 with lower adjustable control arms 2 check of thats the issue.

What do you mean by the steering "tends to pull out"? As in, out of your hands? Otherwise, it sounds to me like you're just feeling the effects of ball joints that just haven't broken in yet.

jeeeep

Hooked
2013 sahara 61000ks

was the steering pump and dampner replaced with mopar oem?

that's a lot of parts replaced that really have nothing to do with your issue but if you went to a 4x4 shop their primary interest is to sell.

zombie hunter

Check tire pressure. You could also disconnect the drag link from the pitman arm and turn the steering wheel one revolution in each direction and see if you feel binding. That would tell you if it is the box or intermediate shaft at least. Just be careful you don't turn the wheel too far and set it back in original location.

And your sure this problem started before you replaced the dampener? If your not sure, I would remove that and go for a test drive.
All tyres are on 2 bar. I noticed this after my pump was replaced, not sure if the problem existed when pump was fkd. I do need a new boot on my shaft, its abit loose

zombie hunter

What do you mean by the steering "tends to pull out"? As in, out of your hands? Otherwise, it sounds to me like you're just feeling the effects of ball joints that just haven't broken in yet.
No it just tends to wonder off, doesnt stay straight. The steering also doesnt return to centre properly when taking a corner and letting go of steering to come back. Also feels like im fighting with crosswinds because im always correcting the steering when driving on Highway

zombie hunter

was the steering pump and dampner replaced with mopar oem?

that's a lot of parts replaced that really have nothing to do with your issue but if you went to a 4x4 shop their primary interest is to sell.
Pump was mopar, damper was bilstein. All those parts needed to be replaced due to wear and tear, they were very loose

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No it just tends to wonder off, doesnt stay straight. The steering also doesnt return to centre properly when taking a corner and letting go of steering to come back. Also feels like im fighting with crosswinds because im always correcting the steering when driving on Highway

This sounds like you have too little positive caster. Did you install adjustable front lower control arms with your 3" lift? If so, you need to bring your caster back to about +4°

View attachment 246711 just noticed a oil leak. Not sure if it has anything to do with it

Looks like you might have a loose hose fitting... maybe a blown seal but I doubt it. Shouldn't make a difference with what you're feeling though.

zombie hunter

This sounds like you have too little positive caster. Did you install adjustable front lower control arms with your 3" lift? If so, you need to bring your caster back to about +4°

Looks like you might have a loose hose fitting... maybe a blown seal but I doubt it. Shouldn't make a difference with what you're feeling though.
Still have stock control arms

Top Bottom