Shingles?! Really!!!

RamP

So yeah I dragged myself to the doctors with a pain in my head that I can only describe as somewhere between a jack hammer and hot poker in the ear. The ENT takes one look and says "shingles". Really WTF!!! Worse part is that it's affected the nerves in my face so only half of it s operational. Totally sucks. Best part is the Vicodin.
Anyone else ever deal with this?

MTG

Caught the Bug
Deal with Vicodin? No, I popped some once and it did nothing for me. Totatlly dissapointed. :grayno: :cheesy:

Sorry man, that sucks. Hope you get better soon!

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Thankfully not yet and hopefully never.

I've had a few friends that have shingle flare ups every once in a while and it really gets them down so I hope you feel better soon!

Good luck and watch out for that Vicodin it can screw you up worse than the shingles! :beer:

Last edited:

RamP

Thanks. Yeah the Vicodin works for me. I rarely take meds so even an Advil makes me dizzy. Lol.
Best part is with the past 2 days off I've researched all my mods and compiled an entire parts list for the Jeep and registered for an Easter safari at Rouche Creek PA and a Jeep Jamboree in Shamokin PA.

JAGS

Hooked
Sucks dude....been seeing a lot of commercials for this lately. Connected to dormant chik pox virus.

As for the Vicodin, just had surgery for broken hand and they gave me some. Heard it does well mixed with alcohol so I popped a few 500 mg tabs and headed out to Suds-n-Grub last week. ;)

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Thanks. Yeah the Vicodin works for me. I rarely take meds so even an Advil makes me dizzy. Lol.
Best part is with the past 2 days off I've researched all my mods and compiled an entire parts list for the Jeep and registered for an Easter safari at Rouche Creek PA and a Jeep Jamboree in Shamokin PA.

Well there you go! :thumb:

Your getting some quality WAYALIFE time!

WLFMOON

If you can take some vitamin c tablets like Ester C, take about 5,000 mgs a day. Works like a charm to get rid of shingles!!! Been there only it got me behind my knees and it felt like a third degree burn. Not fun at all.

RamP

If you can take some vitamin c tablets like Ester C, take about 5,000 mgs a day. Works like a charm to get rid of shingles!!! Been there only it got me behind my knees and it felt like a third degree burn. Not fun at all.

I will try that. The thing is that I haven't gotten any chicken pox type rashes. Just a massive ( what I thought to be ) earache that turn out to be shingles.

Skid_Kid

That blows! I hope you get better. Nothing wrong with getting the build list done and signing up for the runs. So there is a bright side. I was on Vicodin and Oxycontin for a few months. Be careful and take what you need. It was not fun having to be weened off of them.

RamP

I feel for you had them about 2 years ago and like you it was in my face which is sort of rare most of the time it affects your back...anyway I woke up looking like the Elephant man so I went in to Urgent care and was diagnosed with Shingles. The pain was incredible! :naw:

How long did the weak face thing last? Eating sucks with only half a mouth to use.

mkjeep

Junkyard Dog
Oh man, I feel for ya. My dad had shingles this past year on his head and face. He's also bedridden from a stroke. It really sucked to watch him endure that pain. Hope for a quick recovery, I wouldn't wish the shingles on anyone. Your heads gonna look like a big nasty booger.

StrizzyChris

Sucks dude....been seeing a lot of commercials for this lately. Connected to dormant chik pox virus.

Yup, most of us already have the virus from childhood.

The symptoms are like feeling like ur shin is on fire. The virus that causes shingles is a form of herpes zoster zoster that hides in your nerves(spine) and are asymptotic until you become immunocompromised for some reason. It then will "flare up" along a nerve root. That is why shingles usually effects one side of the body and one location at a time. There's no evidence that vitamins or anything will make it better, but its possible that it aids in recovering your immune system and allows your body to fight the virus back into dormancy. If the pain continues, you may want to ask your doc about a steroid like prednisone to help with inflammation.

Top Bottom