To regear or not!

Amrth

Background: 2012 JKU with 37 on stock axles/gears.

I saw a promo run by 4wheel parts store which said 1099 out of the door. So I went out today to get a quote. Find the quote attached, the final price will be 700$ off on the total so out of the door I should have it for ~1800$. Since I've 37 I'm planning for 5:13s..

Went with an thought might end up below 1300~ but 500$ above budget has got me thinking.

Any thoughts on this? IMG_5060.JPG IMG_5061.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rb1boxer_3

Damn big difference here in San Antonio a guy that works there said its 1250 plus 90 if you need a new carrier for the front d30

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yea your getting hosed. You don't need to replace the inner axle seals or the wheel bearings unless they are shot which I assume they are not so there is money back. Plus as Overlanderjk said 11qts of oil is way to much! They are ripping you off

RonG

I was always bothered that everywhere else, people seem to be able to get regeared for $1,000 to $1,500. The cheapest I had found in South Florida was over $2,000. When I got the 4WheelParts flyer with the $1,099 regear, I thought I was good to go. Just to check it out, I called. By the time all was said and done, it was going to be another $500+.

Oh, well. I've got other stuff I can spend money on.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Sooooo...the $1099 deal was actually $1800? That's not much of a deal anymore . Just save your money and buy some axles with the gear ratio already installed.

Amrth

Damn big difference here in San Antonio a guy that works there said its 1250 plus 90 if you need a new carrier for the front d30
Thats freaking BIG of a difference!

11 quarts of oil for the axles? Are they replacing your engine oil too? You're getting hosed for that price.

Yea your getting hosed. You don't need to replace the inner axle seals or the wheel bearings unless they are shot which I assume they are not so there is money back. Plus as Overlanderjk said 11qts of oil is way to much! They are ripping you off
The guy over there said its a good practice to change them while we are there at the gears, because my jeep has 82000 on the odo! 11 quarts is a good catch, I'm sure to ask them about that.. Should I just change the seals and bearing if its needed only?

And is the 300 dollar warranty optional lol

Its optional :)

Why are you going to run 5:13 on a Dana 30 with 37s. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

5.13s Dana30 37s? You'll shoot your eye out kid.

I've a buddy who has been running 5.13's on 30 for around ~1.5 years now and his opinion was to go for it. His is a daily driver also. I'm inbtwn 4.88's or 5.13's.

Thanks for all your inputs

silverbullet88

I wouldn't go near 4wheel parts. I would look for another shop with good review's. On the phone the 4wheel parts guys sounded like 15yo's trying to figure out what an axle even is. They quoted me nearly 3k.

Called a smaller local shop. 1350 out the door. He warranties all of his work. Local jeep club lead me to him.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Background: 2012 JKU with 37 on stock axles/gears.

I saw a promo run by 4wheel parts store which said 1099 out of the door. So I went out today to get a quote. Find the quote attached, the final price will be 700$ off on the total so out of the door I should have it for ~1800$. Since I've 37 I'm planning for 5:13s..

I'd say depends one what you want. Stronger axles? Save money and buy axles. Daily driver maybe dirt roads I'd re-gear but go with 4.56/4.88 the pinion is still a decent size.
I re-geared to 4.56 in may and now I just built a d44 front. From experience, I say save it for axles.

Amrth

I wouldn't put the money into a D30 save up get a 44 or 60

Thanks, this is where I stand now. With so many inputs here I realized, putting money on D30 is not worth it.

I wouldn't go near 4wheel parts. I would look for another shop with good review's. On the phone the 4wheel parts guys sounded like 15yo's trying to figure out what an axle even is. They quoted me nearly 3k.

Called a smaller local shop. 1350 out the door. He warranties all of his work. Local jeep club lead me to him.

A local here has the same for 1850$ and I was inclined to get a quote just because of the promo.

I'd say depends one what you want. Stronger axles? Save money and buy axles. Daily driver maybe dirt roads I'd re-gear but go with 4.56/4.88 the pinion is still a decent size.
I re-geared to 4.56 in may and now I just built a d44 front. From experience, I say save it for axles.
Point taken, save up for axels its is.

Top Bottom