need help removing stripped lug nut

2014siljk

started installing my evo level kit with my old man emu springs in rear....and i stripped the lug nuts on front tire....i got driver side and rear done
......anyone know how to remove stripped lug nuts. went to autozone and bought reverse thread socket that screws on counter clockwise but that didnt work

rockwell

The factory lug nuts have a stupid sheet metal cap over them so that tends to happen. You might be able to rip them off with some vice grips and have better luck getting a socket on there.

sparks

I had a similar issue the reverse threaded socket worked after I took a dremel and rouged the shit out the edge of the lug nuts. It was a mixture of beating on a cheap socket, impacting it tighter, then reverse socket and dremel until the damn thing finally bit and took it out.

There's a couple different sizes of the reverse sockets too. It took me a couple trips to get the correct one. I'll be happy to send the 2 I have to you to borrow if you want. Not a quick fix but saves $ from buying something you may never need again.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

holliewood61

If it has the sheet metal cap on it get that crap out of the way and use an 18. You could also drill out the stud and replace it while you have everything apart.

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

2014siljk

I got the sheet metal off ..I couldn't believe that crap...Still no luck..Went and bought Irwin bolt thing and Gator grip ..Nothing....Thinking of biting the bullet and taking it to NTB or discount tire

GraniteCrystal

I got the sheet metal off ..I couldn't believe that crap...Still no luck..Went and bought Irwin bolt thing and Gator grip ..Nothing....Thinking of biting the bullet and taking it to NTB or discount tire
So the sleeve is off? It wasn't that which was stripped? Definitely the actual threads?

2014siljk

I had a similar issue the reverse threaded socket worked after I took a dremel and rouged the shit out the edge of the lug nuts. It was a mixture of beating on a cheap socket, impacting it tighter, then reverse socket and dremel until the damn thing finally bit and took it out.

There's a couple different sizes of the reverse sockets too. It took me a couple trips to get the correct one. I'll be happy to send the 2 I have to you to borrow if you want. Not a quick fix but saves $ from buying something you may never need again.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks sparks....I'll keep that in mind..The one I got was 3/4...Goes on like it's supposed to get tight but then it just keeps spinning

Top Bottom