Poor Shift Quality With Amsoil

RioGrandeJK

Hey Everyone.

So I did my trans fluid change (6 spd manual) a few months ago. I couldn't bring myself to drop $25 a qt on Mopar so I called Amsoil, insured it met Mopar spec and got 3 qts of their synchromesh for less than 60 bucks. Followed Eddies write up as far as procedures to the letter. Now I have been getting poor shift quality out of this fluid. Tough to get in gear both from a stop and while moving UNLESS it's good and warmed up. No grinding though. Has anyone else had an issue NOT using Mopar fluid?

Going to plan on changing again back to Mopar before I damage the synchros. I'm pretty disappointed in Amsoil on this one.

Just curious to see others experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RioGrandeJK

I put it in until it ran out. Put the bolt in. 2 full qts and a little of the 3rd. Ran it, checked it again. I haven't checked it since as we got some snow last week and I currently have the flu but I will this week.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Benito

Caught the Bug
I used Ams oil this last time and it seems to be doing ok, I haven't had any issues and it certainly helped out a little bit over the used royal purple synchromesh, before I changed I was grinding gears when I would float from 1-2 and 2-3 and when I would down shift with the clutch from 3-2 and 2-1. After about 500 miles with the ams oil that has mostly gone away, I probably had about 25k on the royal purple

RioGrandeJK

Checked it last night when I installed my JCR engine/trans skid. Fluid level is good. Headed to Moab this evening for the weekend. I will be changing back to Mopar after this trip. Shifting has improved some now that our temps are getting a little warmer. Dont want to risk ruining any synchros.

rl206

Just out of curiosity what Amsoil fluid did you go w/?

I'm about to do a fluid change as well.

EDIT: read over that the first time, sorry lol

madstiles

How was it before the change? I think I'm using Pennzoil cheap stuff (all the parts store had) and no issues. If you pump clutch does it work better? Seems like a different issue to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

RioGrandeJK

It was absolutely fine before the change, no issues. I changed at 40k just as part of regular maintenance.

I thought of calling them, just haven't, probably should. I called them when I ordered it to make sure it met Mopar spec and it was the proper fluid for the Jeep. It makes no difference if i pump the clutch or put it in neutral and then try to put it in gear. Seems odd that I haven't had issues before the change and now I do.

There was not any out of the ordinary shavings, chips or other materials on the drain plug. Just the typical metal fuzz you see on a magnetic drain plug.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Weird. Without changing the actual weight of the oil, I don't see how it would effect the shifting. Specialty cause others have used Amsoil without problem. I'm curious to hear what happens when you go back to Mopar oil. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

RioGrandeJK

So, I just spoke with a technical support guy at Amsoil. He said they haven't had issues but he is sending me a sample kit to send them a sample of the fluid to see what is going on. Very nice folks and super helpful. We shall see what comes of it.

As for rowing the gears with the vehicle off - fine, no issues. This started pretty much immediately after changing. It was cold as sh*t when I did the fluid change.

JKbrick

This is interesting, my son put amsoil in his tj 5 speed and it shifted bad so we put mopar back in, then just this week I put Dino gear oil back in his diffs due to his rear trac loc acted like it was all bound up, seems to have fixed this as well. Can't say I'm real impressed with amsoil personally

RioGrandeJK

This is interesting, my son put amsoil in his tj 5 speed and it shifted bad so we put mopar back in, then just this week I put Dino gear oil back in his diffs due to his rear trac loc acted like it was all bound up, seems to have fixed this as well. Can't say I'm real impressed with amsoil personally

did the shifting improve going back to mopar?

Bigjimbo

I'm running Amsoil Synchromesh since the last change. In my experience it performs better on a cold start with the infamous first to second difficulty when it drops under 30*... Otherwise no difference.

ryager13

I know this is my first post, but amsoil is strange sometimes. In my (2) WRX's I had some guys had the same exact problem, while others swore by it. I think some trans on the same make year model and everything just don't like the stuff.

Top Bottom