CB pain in the A$$

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
So, I bought a Cobra 29 LX BT, ran the positive and negative wires no problem, ran the antenna cable no problem. Now, I ordered the Poison Spyder Tailgate Antenna Mount and the Rugged Ridge CB mount for above the Mirror.

Problem one, the Rugged Ridge CB Mount is not designed for a full size CB like the Cobra 29 LX, so I had to do Some Modifications to it, I Chopped it and welded it back together and added a steel strip to strengthen it. So that problem was solved.

Problem two was the antenna itself, man what a pain in the butt. I kepted getting a Antenn Fail and warning. Ended up being a bad ground. I wire wheeled the powder coat off but still did not work. So, I ended up running a ground wire from the passenger front seat grounding stud back to the antenna mount. Checked continuity and it was good.

I am also painting the chrome bracket to match the color of my Jeep. I just put the second coat of primer on.

Tomorrow I get to mess with the SWR Meter and attempt to tune the antenna.

Attachments

• IMG_1155.jpg
    IMG_1155.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_1152.jpg
    IMG_1152.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_1157.jpg
    IMG_1157.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_1160.jpg
    IMG_1160.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_1162.jpg
    IMG_1162.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_1163.jpg
    IMG_1163.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_1164.jpg
    IMG_1164.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_1165.jpg
    IMG_1165.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I use the fire stick on my Jeep and have for years. Are you still getting a antenna failure message?

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
I let you know in a little bit, I need to reinstall the bracket and mount the CB back up. I Just finished the final coat of clear coat on it I was using a 3 ft fire fly antenna. I am going to use it until my 5 ft Firestik II comes in. I am going out today to tune the 3 ft firefly using a stand alone SWR meter. Just to make sure everything is working. The grounding was kicking my butt.

onbelay

I've had a Firestick on a tailgate for 7+ years, without issue. The mount was grounded to the tub using the most rearward subwoofer mount bolt. SWR is consistently 1.1-1.3 throughout all channels ... despite a 35" spare, tire carrier, Hi-Lift, and two jerry cans in the way.

You definitely had/have a grounding issue, as you saw, but it's probably not necessary to run your ground that far. I would be concerned about inductance with such a long cable (assuming it's not shielded).

Have you considered bonding your frame, bumper, and tub using flat braid? That's next on our list (plus several spots on the exhaust).

Last edited:

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
So, I got my Antenna tuned, the best I could get was 2.1 on Cahnnel 1 and 2.0 on Channel 40. This was with a 3ft firefly antenna, my question is will I get a better tune with a firestik II 5 ft antenna? The 3 ft antenna was one my friend had laying around the garage. There seemed to be no damage to the antenna but could it be damaged from being thrown around?

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I think most people on here, run 3 feet, from what I've seen. I'm having the same issue. I think I need to rework my ground. I had the same 3 ft Firestik on my 2 door and my SWR was a little over 1.5.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
How do you have yours currently grounded? Here is my set up.

Attachments

• IMG_1175.jpg
    IMG_1175.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_1176.jpg
    IMG_1176.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1177.jpg
    IMG_1177.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_1179.jpg
    IMG_1179.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_1180.jpg
    IMG_1180.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_1181.jpg
    IMG_1181.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_1182.jpg
    IMG_1182.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 230

onbelay

So, I got my Antenna tuned, the best I could get was 2.1 on Cahnnel 1 and 2.0 on Channel 40. This was with a 3ft firefly antenna, my question is will I get a better tune with a firestik II 5 ft antenna? The 3 ft antenna was one my friend had laying around the garage. There seemed to be no damage to the antenna but could it be damaged from being thrown around?

I'm running the 3' Firestik II. The SWR meter barely moves when I key the mic unless I'm around channel 20 (it might get to 1.3/1.4).

It's on the tailgate, right next to all of this metal. Note, the Hi-Lift is not attached in this picture, but the SWR values were taken while it was installed:

Installed_rear.jpg

BaddestCross

I only got 2-3 with the 3' Firestik. Went to the 4' and SWR is 1-1.4 across all channels and the output power went up by 2x.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

sacraig

I let you know in a little bit, I need to reinstall the bracket and mount the CB back up. I Just finished the final coat of clear coat on it I was using a 3 ft fire fly antenna. I am going to use it until my 5 ft Firestik II comes in. I am going out today to tune the 3 ft firefly using a stand alone SWR meter. Just to make sure everything is working. The grounding was kicking my butt.

Also recommend Onbelay's suggestion of bonding with the flat braid, have mine set up the same way and no issues. Remember to close all your Jeep's doors when you tune the antenna, sounds silly but will make a difference, as will having anyone standing close to your rig while tuning. I ran the 5' Firestick for awhile and loved the performance but found it a tad too tall for my garage, 4' on now and no issues. Good luck and I'll try and find a great link I saw re antenna tuning simplified

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

sacraig

Here's the link, hope it helps

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/blogs/installation-guides/18330687-cb-antenna-tuning-instructions

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
I appreciate all the help. I am going to run a bonding strap from the end of the frame to the body in the rear, real close to the tailgate section. Then from the inside of the body to the tailgate. Then a new grounding wire from the tailgate to the mount. I am going to drill a hole in the mount and bolt the grounding wire directly to the mount. I hope that will work.

onbelay

I appreciate all the help. I am going to run a bonding strap from the end of the frame to the body in the rear, real close to the tailgate section. Then from the inside of the body to the tailgate. Then a new grounding wire from the tailgate to the mount. I am going to drill a hole in the mount and bolt the grounding wire directly to the mount. I hope that will work.

Awesome. Make sure each of your bonding straps are 10" or less. Longer than that = inductance and impedance issues. Have you seen Alan's (K0BG) Web site for mobile HF installations? If not, he has great advice on mobile HF bonding. The same principles apply to CB, since CB (11M) is technically an HF (10M-160M) band.

We were checking ground locations in the rear cargo area last night while making changes to our tow harness wiring, and noticed that the 2007-2011 JK subwoofer speaker bolt actually is a poor ground. I -- and many others -- have used that location for years without issue, but I'll be changing up my ground as well just for good measure.

Good luck with your troubleshooting!

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
So, I installed a few 1 inch thick, 12 inches long braided grounding straps from the frame to the tub to the tailgate. Checked ground with a fluke meter, everything checked good. Then I found out after being on the phone with Cobra my radio was defective. I turned up the talk back and keyed the mic and got nothing but static. The radio kept going back and forth on the antenna check from pass to fail while checking it. I called a few CB shops and talked to them also and they stated they have had one or two bad 29 LX BT models.

I ended up doing an RMA for a replacement radio, if this one does not work I am going to go to a Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB.

onbelay

So, I installed a few 1 inch thick, 12 inches long braided grounding straps from the frame to the tub to the tailgate. Checked ground with a fluke meter, everything checked good. Then I found out after being on the phone with Cobra my radio was defective. I turned up the talk back and keyed the mic and got nothing but static. The radio kept going back and forth on the antenna check from pass to fail while checking it. I called a few CB shops and talked to them also and they stated they have had one or two bad 29 LX BT models.

I ended up doing an RMA for a replacement radio, if this one does not work I am going to go to a Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB.

Gosh, that's awful, but it makes sense now why you had those issues. You'll have a rock-solid install once your radio is installed!

I'd pick that 980 if I was in the market for a CB radio. I don't know what the activity is on 11M SSB, but it's nice to at least have the capability.

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
So here are my grounding straps installed.Again checked everything with a Fluke Meter. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated, I think that should work. I can check when my replacement CB comes in.

Attachments

• IMG_1185.jpg
    IMG_1185.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1186.jpg
    IMG_1186.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1188.jpg
    IMG_1188.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1187.jpg
    IMG_1187.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1190.jpg
    IMG_1190.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1193.jpg
    IMG_1193.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1194.jpg
    IMG_1194.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1198.jpg
    IMG_1198.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1197.jpg
    IMG_1197.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 81

BaddestCross

Shit, that's a lot of grounding! Now all you're missing is a rod beat down 8' into the ground clamped to another wire attached to your frame! 😂

Kidding aside, good job... Shouldn't have a grounding issue with the new CB in the slightest!

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom