Jeep JK 4-door wheel speed sensor

JOHNNYICE4

I have a 2013 JKU with about 93,000 miles on it. The other day when I was pulling out of my buddy's gravel road onto the paved road the ABS and traction control lights came on. I got the codes read and the wheel speed sensor in the front right hub was supposedly bad. 3 hours and $100 later I got the new Timken wheel hub on (the previous owner lived in Pennsylvania and mother nature welded the old hub on, ie. Rust.) In the end the codes won't clear and the lights are still on. Got a friend to clear the codes and I connected the + and - battery terminals to to reset the computer and it still won't work. Jeep told me to go buy MOPAR and that might work.... they weren't any help. Anyone have any ideas? I could really use the help.

Sincerely,
Poor college student

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Kalums

I have a 2013 JKU with about 93,000 miles on it. The other day when I was pulling out of my buddy's gravel road onto the paved road the ABS and traction control lights came on. I got the codes read and the wheel speed sensor in the front right hub was supposedly bad. 3 hours and $100 later I got the new Timken wheel hub on (the previous owner lived in Pennsylvania and mother nature welded the old hub on, ie. Rust.) In the end the codes won't clear and the lights are still on. Got a friend to clear the codes and I connected the + and - battery terminals to to reset the computer and it still won't work. Jeep told me to go buy MOPAR and that might work.... they weren't any help. Anyone have any ideas? I could really use the help.

Sincerely,
Poor college student

Try clearing the codes again and unplug battery over night. After that drive it for a few hours. Sometimes the computer just needs some time to reset while getting a full signal from the speed sensor.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Aerojar

Sincerely,
Poor college student

Why did you replace the hub? My abs wire got rubbed on the rim and wore thru. Got a new sensor from AutoZone for $16 and replaced the sensor only.

Check your abs wires for rubbing ,etc. Mine would only act up when it got wet, which led me to wiring issue... The wire rubbed on the rim ID and wore thru. Leftover issue from my old spacer lift.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I had this issue in the rear, snapped a sensor clean in half, replaced it and drove maybe 1 mile and all the lights went off. I agree with others and double check the wires just in case.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Disconnect your battery for 20 minutes. If that doesn't clear the code, just drive your Jeep around a bit as mentioned and that should do the trick as your computer starts to figure things out.

JOHNNYICE4

Why did you replace the hub? My abs wire got rubbed on the rim and wore thru. Got a new sensor from AutoZone for $16 and replaced the sensor only.

Check your abs wires for rubbing ,etc. Mine would only act up when it got wet, which led me to wiring issue... The wire rubbed on the rim ID and wore thru. Leftover issue from my old spacer lift.

Based on what I had read on all the forums it seemed like replacing the whole hub was the safer or better method. If I were to do it again I would probably just replace the sensor.

JOHNNYICE4

Based on what I had read on all the forums it seemed like replacing the whole hub was the safer or better method. If I were to do it again I would probably just replace the sensor.

I'll disconnect the battery and check the wiring tonight when I get home. I've put about 250 miles on the new sensor hoping it would reset but no luck. Thanks for the help guys! This is my first forum post, it's awesome getting the feedback so quickly. I'll let you know what it's doing tomorrow.

Robs_Red_JK

That is good to know about the wiring because mine has been doing the same thing where it comes on and then is off again when I turn the jeep off and back on. It seems to always do it when I'm driving through a snow storm and actually could use traction control a little haha

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

mgmavant

At 93k, replacing the hub/bearings was probably a pretty good way to do it, but like others have said, replacing just the wire and sensor is really all you should have to do to get the light to come off. I have a 08 JKU and a couple of years ago I was chasing a faulty sensor. For some reason, I recall that I couldn't figure out exactly which one was broken, so I replaced the fronts (didn't clear) and then replaced I think the right rear. That cleared it up. Changing the rears was way easier than the fronts.

JOHNNYICE4

I feel really dumb now. I went back and checked the wiring. It turns out it was unpluged! I know I plugged it in, I must have just not got the red locking clip in all the way. Thanks for the help guys.

Top Bottom