Just bought a Jeep with 90k on it, what should I check/ replace?

jeepr13

As the title says, just bought a 2008 Sahara JKU with around 90k on it. Super clean for the mileage, but want to know your opinion on what I should check, replace, etc. Already replaced the clutch, transmission fluid and changed the oil. Plan on changing the differential fluid and spark plugs this weekend. Thanks in advance. 16583332_434660736865035_7419815054792458240_n.jpg

jeepr13

Well I am a noob and posted this in the wrong place... can an admin please move this to the correct forum? Cheers and excuse my failure haha

ScoobyCarolanNC

Well I am a noob and posted this in the wrong place... can an admin please move this to the correct forum? Cheers and excuse my failure haha

Well you could have done a hell of a lot worse! Congrats & welcome aboard! I just rolled over 90K myself but in a 2010.

If you're doing your plugs, change the wires too. I also replaced my PCV valve ($10) when I did this service last summer. Your brake pads & rotors should get checked too. They're easy to do yourself. Other than that maybe the air filter ($20) too? The transfer case maybe as well. Your looking at a full day with all that stuff, but that's about everything I can think of. I recently bought a set of rubicon shocks & springs from a guy who lifted his Jeep & it was an awesome upgrade, but you can probably hold off a bit on that.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Kalums

Check the seals on your hard top front panels, some are rubber some are foam if the foam ones are missing you will usually see where the glue/adhesive was... Some people don't really pay attention when reinstalling and pinch the seals... (I've done it before). Check for play in the ujoints and ball joints. That's really all I can think of right now.

Edit: oh yeah when you replace the plugs might as well do the wires and clean your contacts too. 😝

Sent from my LG-LS997 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
Congrats! Looks like it is in great condition for a Jeep with 90k! I would start by doing the basics like air filter, both diffs, brakes/rotors, and then check the ball joints. I would also take a look at the other less frequently changed fluids as well.

jeepr13

Thanks for the advice guys, I plan on getting spark plug wires too now. Should have mentioned I just had new pads and rotors put on the jeep as well. I have a cold air intake so I'll use my compressor to blow any dust out, but don't need to replace it.

I have heard about PCV valves a ton with JKs, what issues do they cause that I should be aware of?

ScoobyCarolanNC

Thanks for the advice guys, I plan on getting spark plug wires too now. Should have mentioned I just had new pads and rotors put on the jeep as well. I have a cold air intake so I'll use my compressor to blow any dust out, but don't need to replace it.

I have heard about PCV valves a ton with JKs, what issues do they cause that I should be aware of?

If your PCV is totally shot it can cause some different problems. Every vehicle has one so it's not just a Jeep thing. What it does is vent gasses from the crankcase back into the engine to be reused. Since they're oily & rich their combustible. They can get gummed up after a long time & cause vacuum issues which is just rough running. You may not even notice it, but after long enough stuck open it can gum up your internals by venting when it's not supposed to. If stuck closed the fuel system is expecting that gas, doesn't get it, and has to alter either spark or fuel to compensate. Most of what I know is from a turbo Audi so it maybe a bit different in a naturally aspirated engine but that's the gist of it. Take off your ignition block, unclip the hose, pull it out, pop a new one in, and reattach everything. Since your wires are off it'll be way easier so it's a good one to do now.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Nice jeep, looks really clean. I would say after you do some basic fluids, get out and enjoy it :thumb:

Owen19

Check the coolant system too. I'd do a coolant flush even if it looks clean just for the peace of mind. You can also add brake fluid, suspension bushings, ball joints and tie rods to the to-check/inspection list.

jeepr13

I have done u joints, lift kits, put in a crate motor and such. Do you think installing ball joints is something I could do myself without issue? I have looked at a few how to's but makes me nervous.

Top Bottom