A leaky hardtop?

So the weather in North Carolina has sucked here lately snow, ice, rain, more ice and more rain gut in my jeep today my back cargo area floor is wet and my drivers side front floor board is soaked any ideas on where to start looking for the leaks I'm guessing its the hard top

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
So the weather in North Carolina has sucked here lately snow, ice, rain, more ice and more rain gut in my jeep today my back cargo area floor is wet and my drivers side front floor board is soaked any ideas on where to start looking for the leaks I'm guessing its the hard top

I noticed I sometimes have a bit of a drip up front where the panels meet above the console. I can't say I have had much issue with it but it has always leaked just a tiny bit. Make sure your panels are seated properly and there isn't something like a leaf or something between the seals of the roof panels.:idontknow:

jkjurny

Check the gasket on your doors. I've noticed that mine came loose a bit just by simple opens and closes daily on the door.

WillMooseJaw

Also make sure the plugs are in the tub good right under the matts. Driving in the rain could cause some water to come up through the holes.

my_jk

jeephh2o.jpg

My hardtop sometimes leaks a little and lands on my gps :grayno: Once I found a ton of standing water that came in thew the door on my CB coax cable.

View attachment 14390

My hardtop sometimes leaks a little and lands on my gps :grayno: Once I found a ton of standing water that came in thew the door on my CB coax cable.

Yea holy crap that's a lot of water mines just damp Its not bad yet I've looked at everything the top the door and the plugs ? All appears ok but both front floor boards a little of the back passenger side floor board and the back cargo area close to the door is wet or all that I would figure its the top

orngcrushrgrl

Clean all your door seals as well as the ones on your hard top. Mine leaked due to grit and dirt til I figured that out

Jersey_Devil

The hard top leaks on my passenger side and I get some near the sub.... But both of the sides front seat floor get wet somehow and I dunno how either.... Must be coming from underneath cause the mats ain't wet... Just the carpet underneath....

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Clean all your door seals as well as the ones on your hard top. Mine leaked due to grit and dirt til I figured that out

I was going to say the same thing, my door seals leaked and had about 2" of water on my PS side floor board. Had a small cut in my seal water was going thru it to the floor.:doh:

Good luck and hope this helps :idontknow:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Holy cow that is a lot of water. As mentioned, a leak is common right where the windshield, door and top all meet. Make sure that area is clean and that the rubber seal isn't bunched up funny or bent.

The hard top leaks on my passenger side and I get some near the sub.... But both of the sides front seat floor get wet somehow and I dunno how either.... Must be coming from underneath cause the mats ain't wet... Just the carpet underneath....

Mine is the same way the floor mats are dry on top but the floors are soaked? But I'm gonna clean all my seals tomorrow and check everything really good I wish it would hurry up and warm up so I can take the top off and let it all dry out good

Krynn

Mine is the same way the floor mats are dry on top but the floors are soaked? But I'm gonna clean all my seals tomorrow and check everything really good I wish it would hurry up and warm up so I can take the top off and let it all dry out good

Mine leaks with the exact same results as yours. I'm pretty sure I've traced it to the door seal, somewhere along the section between the door and the A pillar but below the door/a pillar/roof junction. I've cleaned everything but still have the leak when it rains a lot. I read a while back of someone who cut a small slit in the door seal near the bottom of the window, fed about 18" of tubing up inside the seal to stiffen it up, then glued the slit shut. Supposedly that caused the seal to be a lot tighter along the A pillar and prevented further leaking. With all the rain we've had lately, I'm seriously considering giving this a shot. Worst case scenario would be that I have to replace the door seals, and that's something I was considering anyway to fix this.

reiverrob

Leaky Hard tops

Hi Guys I live in Scotland, it rains a lot here as you probably know and I have suffered big time with leaks! here are my cures for my problems (no guarantees here) Footwell filling, on my JK I found the door seal on the roof panel near the door pillar has a small strip of reticulated foam (porous) that goes up and behind the rubber seal (why I have no idea) but because it's porous and in heavy rain or spray the foam creates a capillary action and draws water into the vehicle. My solution was to force vaseline (petroleum jelly) into this foam until it was clogged with it creating a water repellent seal.

Glass tailgate, same solution as above, the reticulated foam is behind the seal that runs along the bottom edge of the glass, in each corner here you will find a strip of this foam fill it with vaseline. this stopped my tool well filling with water.

Removeable panels over the cab, I had a leak in the center joint which dripped water onto the dash and down into the instruments, the problem here was dry seals on the panels not making a watertite joint, my solution was to remove the panels and spray all the seals with a clear Silicone lubricating spray. This allows the seals to creep when the roof panels are re-fitted and make a watertite seal.

You will probably find like me that this treatment has to be done once a year.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom