WARN 62132 Power Interrupt Kit

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Anybody use this on their rig?

My winch is directly wired to my battery at the moment. I found this the other day and I am considering it.

WARN 62132 Power Interrupt Kit.jpg

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
In my mind, more connections would be a fire hazard if they weren't protected and insulated properly.

iball16

I have something similar installed on the wife's Jeep. However, we paid $20ish for just the solenoid. Used extra wire from the winch to wire it. She also has Contra VI switch installed to "power" the winch . Gives my wife the piece of mind that no one can mess with the winch while she's away from her baby.

AdrockTT

I have this exact kit on my JKU/winch. This was a logical update for me when I added in-cabin winch controls. There are many many videos/stories/accounts of a "run-away" winch. If the solenoid fries while you're pulling cable, the winch can/will damage the vehicle (and could hurt others). You need to get power to the winch killed ASAP. Some run a manual disco at the battery, some plan to yank the negative cable, some have no plans and play the odds (not that common given how much winching gets done w/o this phenomena). I will say, all the videos I've seen of the winch on "auto-pull" there would not be time for yanking a negative battery cable. Pulling an under-hood disco? Maybe? I like having my winch generally off, activated for pulls, and able to be fully disabled/powered down w just a switch flip.

That's my take on it :)

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I have this exact kit on my JKU/winch. This was a logical update for me when I added in-cabin winch controls. There are many many videos/stories/accounts of a "run-away" winch. If the solenoid fries while you're pulling cable, the winch can/will damage the vehicle (and could hurt others). You need to get power to the winch killed ASAP. Some run a manual disco at the battery, some plan to yank the negative cable, some have no plans and play the odds (not that common given how much winching gets done w/o this phenomena). I will say, all the videos I've seen of the winch on "auto-pull" there would not be time for yanking a negative battery cable. Pulling an under-hood disco? Maybe? I like having my winch generally off, activated for pulls, and able to be fully disabled/powered down w just a switch flip.

Good point and I like the idea.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Wow, I guess I don't wheel hard enough to use my winch as much as you do. At least, in the last 30 years, I have only seen one winch cable related fire and it was something that could have been prevented.

AdrockTT

Wow, I guess I don't wheel hard enough to use my winch as much as you do. At least, in the last 30 years, I have only seen one winch cable related fire and it was something that could have been prevented.

I don't think it has anything to do with how hard one wheels (I am trying not to take that as condescending?). I think it is just bad luck if a solenoid becomes stuck in the pull mode. Here's an example on a Warn winch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSS-CmVTIGU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

One can google for more examples (*links removed).

In other countries, winches are required to have an interruption/circuit breaker/etc. to pass inspection (cannot be run directly to battery).

Maybe I'm just paranoid, like overkill/redundancy? I like being able to power down the entire winch on one readily accessible in-cabin switch. It's a cheap mod to add (you could even source your own solenoid to cut costs...). I think most the buggy guys have an in-cabin power cut.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think it has anything to do with how hard one wheels (I am trying not to take that as condescending?).

No, I wasn't trying to be condescending, I was simply stating that I must not use my winch enough. For me, I typically only use mine on "hard" trails.

I think it is just bad luck if a solenoid becomes stuck in the pull mode. Here's an example on a Warn winch:

Here's the discussion about the event (links can be removed if not allowed?):
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/1080045-when-solenoids-stick.html
More discussion of similar events:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/1089566-winch-kill-switch.html

Really? You had to post up links to a pirate just to make your point? Not trying to be a dick here but I have specific rules that ask members to NOT direct people to competing forums and clearly, nobody is as badass as those guys. :naw:

http://wayalife.com/faq.php?faq=wayaliferules#faq_otherforums

In other countries, winches are required to have an interruption/circuit breaker/etc. to pass inspection (cannot be run directly to battery).

I guess thank god I live in America. :usa-flag:

Maybe I'm just paranoid, like overkill/redundancy? I like being able to power down the entire winch on one readily accessible in-cabin switch. It's a cheap mod to add (you could even source your own solenoid to cut costs...). I think most the buggy guys have an in-cabin power cut.

Your money and your Jeep - you should do whatever it is you want with both. Maybe I just haven't been wheeling enough to be paranoid about this stuff and I am by no means a "buggy guy" - guys that I would assume are way more badass than me. :idontknow:

AdrockTT

No, I wasn't trying to be condescending, I was simply stating that I must not use my winch enough. For me, I typically only use mine on "hard" trails.

Really? You had to post up links to a pirate just to make your point? Not trying to be a dick here but I have specific rules that ask members to NOT direct people to competing forums and clearly, nobody is as badass as those guys. :naw:

http://wayalife.com/faq.php?faq=wayaliferules#faq_otherforums

I guess thank god I live in America. :usa-flag:

Your money and your Jeep - you should do whatever it is you want with both. Maybe I just haven't been wheeling enough to be paranoid about this stuff and I am by no means a "buggy guy" - guys that I would assume are way more badass than me. :idontknow:

Understood, I won't take it as condescending then. I removed any links from prior post, my apologies. I just recalled reading about a run-away winch in the past... Let me know if the YouTube one isn't allowed.

Being in the muddy south, I've had to use the winch more than I'd like to admit in the past...(but no more mudding for me! :naw: )

I am well aware you're an experienced wheeler (and being sarcastic, I suppose to make a point here). I was certainly not trying to turn my endorsement of a winch power interruption circuit into a contest, confrontation, or controversy.

I do think a separate power circuit for the winch power is a pretty common wiring method, not so much for fire prevention but to control on/off. I'd be paranoid with my dash mounted winch "in/out" switches if the winch had power full time...might get inadvertently activated!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Understood, I won't take it as condescending then. I removed any links from prior post, my apologies. I just recalled reading about a run-away winch in the past... Let me know if the YouTube one isn't allowed.

Being in the muddy south, I've had to use the winch more than I'd like to admit in the past...(but no more mudding for me! :naw: )

I am well aware you're an experienced wheeler (and being sarcastic, I suppose to make a point here). I was certainly not trying to turn my endorsement of a winch power interruption circuit into a contest, confrontation, or controversy.

I do think a separate power circuit for the winch power is a pretty common wiring method, not so much for fire prevention but to control on/off. I'd be paranoid with my dash mounted winch "in/out" switches if the winch had power full time...might get inadvertently activated!

It's all good and I appreciate you removing the links. The YouTube one is fine as I know you were trying to promote the channel but rather, just using it as a reference.

As far as I go, I would never assume that I know more than the next guy or is as experienced as some might think I am. To be clear, I wasn't taking your post about the power interrupt as some kind of confrontation. I simply haven't seen a need for one. Perhaps if I spent more time reading other forums and watching YouTube videos, I would but I tend to lean on my own personal experiences over those that can be found on the internet. More times than not, the problems I see there are 100% preventable, the result of poor purchase choices and/or caused by user error.

aermotor

I don't think it has anything to do with how hard one wheels (I am trying not to take that as condescending?). I think it is just bad luck if a solenoid becomes stuck in the pull mode. Here's an example on a Warn winch:

HOLY CRAP. Were they trying to hit the disengage but weren't able to?

Sure, it may never or happen or one in a million, but if it does, it would be nice to stop it from grenading.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Sure, it may never or happen or one in a million, but if it does, it would be nice to stop it from grenading.

To be fair, that winch was mounted on the back and under the rig. A place where it's constantly subject to water, mud and crap. Do we know when the last time he's cleaned things out? What was the condition of the solenoids? Devils in the details and that's not what YouTube is for.

AdrockTT

In that video - the solenoid bugged out and was stuck in the "on" position. They were forced to disconnect the line but it kept pulling and significantly damaged the winch/mount. It is def (thankfully) a rare occurrence (agree w Eddie there), but is reported.

In reality, I mainly have mine setup w power interruption so wandering fingers don't press my winch in/out buttons and yank the winch on accident! (But it's nice to be able to cut power ASAP if there's an issue).

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I can see how you would want something like this as a fail-safe with hardwired in cab winch controls. but if you are running a controller to your winch, your fail-safe is to simply pull out the controller. I have no issues using my winch controller, the only time it sucks is when its buried in the back of the jeep when I need it, but again, that is MY fault and completely avoidable... just my :twocents:

AdrockTT

To be fair, that winch was mounted on the back and under the rig. A place where it's constantly subject to water, mud and crap. Do we know when the last time he's cleaned things out? What was the condition of the solenoids? Devils in the details and that's not what YouTube is for.

Certainly agree. Even more of a freak phenomena w those of us who take care of our stuff. Guy said that winch was 10 years old too!

AdrockTT

I can see how you would want something like this as a fail-safe with hardwired in cab winch controls. but if you are running a controller to your winch, your fail-safe is to simply pull out the controller. I have no issues using my winch controller, the only time it sucks is when its buried in the back of the jeep when I need it, but again, that is MY fault and completely avoidable... just my :twocents:

FYI that wouldn't solve a run away solenoid. The controller activates the solenoid in the box on top of the winch...if it's fried and the circuit is complete (pulling), removing the controller won't stop the solenoid (that's why it's a "run-away"). Again, rare, but just to clarify. Have to pull the battery or disrupt power.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Definitely never seen or thought about that happening to a winch before. Crazy. I am still confident there was some underlying problem that could have been avoided to prevent that though.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom