Motobilt D-ring mounts ripped straight off

RebelconJk

Yessir that was me. Both of the d-ring mounts ripped straight off. Sounded like a gunshot when it did too. Not sure if it was just a dud or if all their products are that way, but I wouldn't take my chances.

What Motobilt bumper did you have? I didn't see that they made one for the WJ.

WJCO

Meme King
What Motobilt bumper did you have? I didn't see that they made one for the WJ.

I'd personally like to see pictures and know if they got in contact with Dan. I'm sure he would've straightened it out.

Sent from my SM-G935T using WAYALIFE mobile app

This is a post from an earlier thread where he mentioned it. It wasn't his. It was on a JK.

Motobilt is pretty popular out here on the East Coast. They sell a lot of Crawler Concepts stuff, which I've never had any personal experience with (the Crawler Concepts JK is local to me also, and it's pretty beefy), so I'm not going to say one way or another on those products. HOWEVER, we did have a JK that had the Motobilt bolt on D-ring mounts, and on a recovery attempt one of them broke from the weld, and the other one just sheered off where they bolt on. I wouldn't touch motobilt products.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
You'd think that if that's the picture they're using to sell their products that they'd at least make an effort to clean it up and make it presentable.

That said, if the weld broke on the lug, they should be ashamed of their QC. And if the bolts broke, they should be ashamed of selling bolts that aren't up to the task.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
You'd think that if that's the picture they're using to sell their products that they'd at least make an effort to clean it up and make it presentable.

That said, if the weld broke on the lug, they should be ashamed of their QC. And if the bolts broke, they should be ashamed of selling bolts that aren't up to the task.

It does look a little rough, doesn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
It does look a little rough, doesn't it?

I'm a field construction worker who's made plenty of lifting lugs that hold tens of thousands of pounds. My field work doesn't have to look like its for an advertisement. But, I make them look nicer than this, even when it's a temporary part. Why? Because some engineer or project manager may be walking by and see that myself and the guys I work with always do a quality job on the projects we build and maintain. Attention to detail could be the thing that causes nothing bad to happen in adangerous environment.

Last edited:

Tomsryt

It's stick welded.
If the metal was prepped and preheated, (the 1" thick probably robbed all the heat, so no penetration),
it would hold. I'd like to see a picture of the broken weld, I'd bet all the weld stayed on the plate, (the thinner one).

metalic

This is sad. The rear mounts they make now look like EVO knockoffs. At least of they're going to rip off someone's design they should make sure they have a quality product

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Crso8541

Honestly any company that sells a product runs the risk of it's product failing despite QC'ing it. Sometimes it just fails, could be from crappy weld, metal fatigue, the list can go on and on. To me it's more of how the company handles the problem. I have talked with the guys at Motobilt before and they are/seem to be some really knowledgeable guys and love what they do. I know several people that have their stuff and love it. It's hard to say that a company has never had a failure when they haven't been on the market for very long. That really boils to more they haven't had one yet. If they are D-bags and don't want to take care of the issue, that to me is more of a deal breaker than one instance of someone having a D-ring mount breaking off. Now if when a whole mess of people start saying their stuff is crap and have substantial evidence that it's crap then yea, they are crap.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
Stuff breaks on occasion. What's the big deal ? Buy something else and forget about it.

Jeep with stuff on it. [emoji631]

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Honestly any company that sells a product runs the risk of it's product failing despite QC'ing it. Sometimes it just fails, could be from crappy weld, metal fatigue, the list can go on and on. To me it's more of how the company handles the problem. I have talked with the guys at Motobilt before and they are/seem to be some really knowledgeable guys and love what they do. I know several people that have their stuff and love it. It's hard to say that a company has never had a failure when they haven't been on the market for very long. That really boils to more they haven't had one yet. If they are D-bags and don't want to take care of the issue, that to me is more of a deal breaker than one instance of someone having a D-ring mount breaking off. Now if when a whole mess of people start saying their stuff is crap and have substantial evidence that it's crap then yea, they are crap.

I'm with you buddy. Everyone makes mistakes it's about how you deal with them.

JeepinTN

Odd...

I have their rear micro bumper on my JK and I can say the d ring mounts are beef... Far more solid than anything else on the market. As far as someone breaking the welds on one of their front d-ring shackle mounts. I question this personally and would like to see actual pictures of the product that failed as I have seen much of their work and its pretty nice. I have never seen anything that isn't solid that they make. I know that their front shackle mounts DO NOT come with hardware so I question this as well. This is the Motobilt rear shackle mount vs the EVO ones that came off my Jeep for comparison. 16998968_10104065195437935_9202853054546636380_n.jpg

Top Bottom