Newbie hoping for some good advise from WAL on coil springs options (weight issue)

nds501

Hello everyone! Thanks for taking the time to read my long post and maybe even help me out!

I have a 2017 2-door Rubicon hard top and when I put a full ice chest in the back, along with some other miscellaneous gear, the back end of the jeep sits low and it rides pretty bad. On road driving is not that much of a concern to me as I am not running around town with a lot of weight but I will use this jeep to go camping in and the trail down to the river is pretty rough. (My old Z71 would barely make it due to ground clearance and approach angles.)

I loaded up 4 jack stands, a floor jack and miscellaneous tools the other day to take to my dad's house to do tire rotations and oil changes on our jeeps and I thought the back end was dragging the whole way there...

In the future, I plan on adding an aluminum bumper in the front and steel bumper with tire carrier in the back so that will add more weight. Roof rack is probably going to happen too. (I'm also looking at a removable winch system so I don’t have to carry that thing on my bumper full time since this is my daily driver)

I have researched and researched some more on this topic and the best I have come up are to replace the coil springs and maybe the shocks.

My stock coils are 14/56s and I have been thinking about putting in 18/59s or 19/60s to overcome the added weight. I am also looking at rancho's 9000 series shocks.

My main goal with this project is to help my jeep carry more weight without sagging too much and bottoming out on the trails.

I am not necessarily looking for a lift yet as I want to keep my stock wheels and tires until I can buy another vehicle for a daily driver.

I have heard that adding the stiffer 18/59 or 19/60 springs will lift the jeep 1-2" and I am ok with that (I think). I am not ready to do new drive shafts and everything else that is required for a larger lift.

I have also looked at Rancho's 2" sport system that comes with 4 new coil springs and the 9000 series shocks but they are not available yet for a 2-door and I don’t know if their springs are stiffer than my stock springs and if they will help any with my weight issue.

I am not looking for a cheap, aesthetic fix like coil spacers since the added weight will just squish the stock springs down and I will lose travel in the spring.

Am I on the right path? Any suggestions and advise will be much appreciated!

thanks-nds501

aermotor

I know you are saying you don't want to add a coil spacer, but that is the simple solution, that's what I've done. It is also not an aesthetic fix, it is a real world practical fix. Shocks will not fix the sag.

Airbags are another option, they are a cheap solution but will effect the ride, limited the rebound and making it a bit more harsh. I ran them for 4 years on a 4 door and liked how much they helped keep my ass end up. I didn't have the ride either.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I doubt the Rancho are stiffer. The 4 door springs will do what you want, but your Jeep will ride like a tank, unloaded. I would personally look at this new Rancho kit, if I still had a 2 door.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

madstiles

I have a 4 door with 59 springs in the back and with no weight or hardtop on it's a rough ride. Spacers are cheap, easy and reliable they also maintain the stock ride but if you have the funds a small lift would definitely be a viable option but you might end up needing a spacer anyways as a lot on here do to level it when loaded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

nds501

I hope Rancho releases the new kit for 2 doors soon. I might call them tomorrow and see if I can get an eta.

Thanks for the responses guys! Keep them coming!

Sent from my SM-G925V using WAYALIFE mobile app

nds501

Thanks JKbrick. I still have no idea what I'll do. I'm thinking a compromise of 17/58 springs with maybe a spacer on the rear might be my best bet. These stock springs are just too soft.

Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-G925V using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

I had the same problem that only got worse when I added a steel bumper and carrier. Ended up going with the HD OME 2" springs and my 2 door rides much better and hasn't bottomed out since. I also run Rancho 9k.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

JulietKilo

You could look at the 2" lift ARB makes with the heavy load springs. I crossed the country with the light load springs installed and about 1100lbs of weight in the back. I barely noticed a sage in the rear.

nds501

I had the same problem that only got worse when I added a steel bumper and carrier. Ended up going with the HD OME 2" springs and my 2 door rides much better and hasn't bottomed out since. I also run Rancho 9k.

BaddestCross- After reading your response and looking at OME stuff i think i might be sold. How much lift did your 2-door get with the OME HD 2" springs? Also, how are you liking your rancho 9ks? Any reason you chose those over the OME shocks?

thanks-nds 501

nds501

Thanks for all of your responses WAL! My dad turned me on to you guys when he was researching mods for his jeep. It seems like there is a nice community here.

All these options are overwhelming to say the least. I am leaning towards the OME 2" HD coil springs. Or maybe the new Rancho sport kit. Both look nice!

thank you all for all of your feedback!

nds501

BaddestCross

BaddestCross- After reading your response and looking at OME stuff i think i might be sold. How much lift did your 2-door get with the OME HD 2" springs? Also, how are you liking your rancho 9ks? Any reason you chose those over the OME shocks?

thanks-nds 501
You know, I don't remember the measurement before I loaded it down, but I can tell you it's sitting at about stock measurements right now (according to a diagram I found online someplace) with a 260lb bumper and rack system, 10 gallons of gas, a high lift jack, a shovel, a roof rack, a hard top, and a 35x12.5" spare. 😎 Unloaded, I would guess at least 2.5" or better.

20170308_171639.jpg
20170308_171659.jpg
20170308_171718.jpg
20170308_171743.jpg

I installed the medium duty OMEs before I installed the bumper thinking they would be enough, but one run in the desert proved me wrong. Swapped in the HDs and cranked up the 9000 settings a notch or two and it rides like a dream (in my opinion, of course).

TBH, the Jeep came with the Ranchos when I bought it, but once I understood how they worked and the flexibility they provide, I'd buy another set in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

nds501

You know, I don't remember the measurement before I loaded it down, but I can tell you it's sitting at about stock measurements right now (according to a diagram I found online someplace) with a 260lb bumper and rack system, 10 gallons of gas, a high lift jack, a shovel, a roof rack, a hard top, and a 35x12.5" spare. 😎 Unloaded, I would guess at least 2.5" or better.

I installed the medium duty OMEs before I installed the bumper thinking they would be enough, but one run in the desert proved me wrong. Swapped in the HDs and cranked up the 9000 settings a notch or two and it rides like a dream (in my opinion, of course).

TBH, the Jeep came with the Ranchos when I bought it, but once I understood how they worked and the flexibility they provide, I'd buy another set in a heartbeat.

nice looking jeep. i think that your spring and shock setup might work out good for me. thanks for your help

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I'm running 18/59's with a TF puck kit. I love the stance and just like what was mentioned it does ride rough unless loaded down and is a bit better. I got after measure about 2.5" of lift. I am hoping to get the same results but a more smoother ride with the Rancho which I am leaning towards.

IMG_20170228_085821172.jpg

BaddestCross

nice looking jeep. i think that your spring and shock setup might work out good for me. thanks for your help

Thanks! It's yet to be seen how the ride is with the hard top off, but now she's really comfortable on and off the road.

The cost is pretty reasonable for this setup too. Good luck... Hope it works for you!

black pearl

Hooked
You know, I don't remember the measurement before I loaded it down, but I can tell you it's sitting at about stock measurements right now (according to a diagram I found online someplace) with a 260lb bumper and rack system, 10 gallons of gas, a high lift jack, a shovel, a roof rack, a hard top, and a 35x12.5" spare. [emoji41] Unloaded, I would guess at least 2.5" or better.

View attachment 247383
View attachment 247384
View attachment 247385
View attachment 247386

Off topic: how do you like that rear bumper I find the latch on mine makes a lot of noise on rougher terrain (play in latch)

BaddestCross

Off topic: how do you like that rear bumper I find the latch on mine makes a lot of noise on rougher terrain (play in latch)

I love it. I adjusted the latch so that it pulls tight against the rubber stops next to it. I actually have to push the gate in a little to unlatch it, but I have no noise whatsoever from the system.

I was concerned because I had read a couple of reviews complaining about noise, but I pulled the trigger anyway because I couldn't find any other system that allows you to store two full-sized jerry cans behind the spare.

black pearl

Hooked
I love it. I adjusted the latch so that it pulls tight against the rubber stops next to it. I actually have to push the gate in a little to unlatch it, but I have no noise whatsoever from the system.

I was concerned because I had read a couple of reviews complaining about noise, but I pulled the trigger anyway because I couldn't find any other system that allows you to store two full-sized jerry cans behind the spare.

That's why I got mine also ... I guess I'll have to fuss with the latch adjustments some more

Top Bottom