Beadlocks?

rcdude3

I have been running Trail Ready Beadlocks for 3 years with no issues other than a rock knocking off the logo sticker on the ring. They sent me a replacement. :thumb:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
What beadlocks do you guys run? I'm looking and doing my own or just buying some, need some help!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Do NOT make your own unless your rig is strictly a trail rig and your trailer it everywhere. Super dangerous.

Most people here run either ATX slabs or chamber pros, kmc machete, or trail ready beadlocks. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them

metalic

Do NOT make your own unless your rig is strictly a trail rig and your trailer it everywhere. Super dangerous.

Most people here run either ATX slabs or chamber pros, kmc machete, or trail ready beadlocks. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them
I know people that have and others that do run DIY beadlocks. Some are trail rigs and others do see the street. What makes them super dangerous?

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

tgoss

KMC Machetes. Will be doing the exact same set up on my new axles. I love these wheels, they take a serious beating.

IMG_2760.jpg

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Atx slabs here, never had an issue with them in 4 years I have been running them

IMG_7844.JPG

Also ran walker evans before which were great, the only thing I didn't like was how the bolt heads stick out but they are a great looking wheel

IMG_6353.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know people that have and others that do run DIY beadlocks. Some are trail rigs and others do see the street. What makes them super dangerous?

Just because lots of people do it doesn't mean they're safe. If you or your buddies trust them, inflate one while standing in front of the ring... I dare you. I have a friend who's been in the industry way longer than me, is VERY knowledgeable about Jeeps and was put in the hospital after his unexpectedly failed on him.

KMC Machetes. Will be doing the exact same set up on my new axles. I love these wheels, they take a serious beating.

View attachment 247316

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but those rings look brand new and far from being seriously beat :crazyeyes:

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug

Mostly what's wrong with them on a daily driver is that no matter how good you are most people don't have the necessary equipment to assure they are as close to 100% true and straight as possible. That can and will cause issues daily driving a rig at speeds and that could make it dangerous.

I would run wheels from Trail Worthy Beadlocks or the ATX Slabs leaning more towards the slabs if I was for sure driving it everyday and far distances.

metalic

Just because lots of people do it doesn't mean they're safe. If you or your buddies trust them, inflate one while standing in front of the ring... I dare you. I have a friend who's been in the industry way longer than me, is VERY knowledgeable about Jeeps and was put in the hospital after his unexpectedly failed on him.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but those rings look brand new and far from being seriously beat :crazyeyes:
It was an honest question. I don't know of any failures of them. What failed on them?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What beadlocks do you guys run? I'm looking and doing my own or just buying some, need some help!!

Of the bead locks I've seen on the trail and personally run, I have found that the ATX line of bead locks have the best designed, thickest and strongest rings and use the biggest bolts that are completely recessed and protected from the rocks. Spyderloc's are made by ATX and they are good as well but as much as I love the look of them, I have found that the star gets in the way of things, catches on rocks and trees and will get bent with some hard use. This in turn will throw off the balance. If there is a downside to ATX wheels, it'd be they come with too little back spacing - a good thing if you're running coil overs but otherwise, hard on your ball joints and unit bearings. I loved the look of my old Walker Evans and they worked well for me but their bolts were on the small side, too exposed and while I never broke a bolt, I have seen plenty in the past on other rigs. I do like that Trail Ready is made in the USA and I might have to give them a try next.

metalic

I only run my beadlocks on the trail. I have 4 trail readys and one diy for a spare with my stickies and a set of aluminum rims I run on the street.

metalic

Let's see, you take a steel wheel, weld on a ring and then.... what could possibly go wrong?
A steel wheels a center welded in place. A good and proper weld is strong as the metal it's attached to. I'm not saying go buy a welder at Harbor Freight and weld up a set of beadlocks. If I was going to drive mine on the road with beadlocks or when I did drive mine I have Trail Readys and wouldn't do DIY. By the time you buy wheels, the kit and have them welded you not too far from a good set of wheels and the set I know that gets dd duty never had got them to balance perfect but they do drive nice. I only have a diy spare because I bought my TR's used and they don't make my wheel anymore.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A steel wheels a center welded in place. A good and proper weld is strong as the metal it's attached to. I'm not saying go buy a welder at Harbor Freight and weld up a set of beadlocks. If I was going to drive mine on the road with beadlocks or when I did drive mine I have Trail Readys and wouldn't do DIY. By the time you buy wheels, the kit and have them welded you not too far from a good set of wheels and the set I know that gets dd duty never had got them to balance perfect but they do drive nice. I only have a diy spare because I bought my TR's used and they don't make my wheel anymore.

LOL!! Yeah, I get the part where a "good and proper" weld should be strong. For sure, there would never be any stress placed on the wheel or the bolts so things like fatigue minor flaws should ever be a problem. :crazyeyes:

Don't get me wrong, to each their own. I know there are plenty of guys who run DIY bead locks without any problems, I personally just don't trust them and only because of what I have seen.

Top Bottom