Dash Cams on WK Overland

HappyBuddhaman

Just picked up a beautiful 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland a few weeks ago. Was looking to install a dash cam (ThinkWare model 770 front and rear).

Does anyone have any experience with have a dash cam in a similar vehicle? I'm looking to have it hard wired, but don't know if I should add an auxiliary power supply or not, I don't want to mess with the electrical system too much and have heard that dash cams can drain the battery and put strain on the alternator. Plus I've heard scattered reports about these affecting the Air Suspension.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

gheller

Congrats on your new WK.

I'm about to install a dashcam into my Wrangler today. I got the LG.
The thinkware 770 is supposed to be a top model 2 ch cam and also uses very little current while in parking mode (because it reduces video quality)
I decided on a newer cam by LG Innotek LG D521. Also a 2ch cam with parking mode. Video quality is very good and stays the same in park mode.

Hardwiring is a must if you want to use the parking mode feature. Both of these cams have low voltage shut off meaning it won't kill your battery. They also have high temp shut off in case they get too hot.
I'm not running the battery pack (Cell Link).
Dash cams, especially good ones such as Thinkware, Blackvue, LG, Blacksys draw very little current and are not going to have any affect on your alternator.

I have not heard of dashcams affecting air suspension systems, although I heard of a case or two where a cam interrupted the TPMS on one tire or two but this is extremely rare I think.
I bought mine from blackboxmycar dot com
They have great customer service and will price match any price you find less.

Sent from Earth to Space and back...can ya give it a second!? WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

HappyBuddhaman

Thanks!! Appreciate it, looking at that website, my back windows are tinted, seems like they can help me choose the proper unit.

Top Bottom