Windshield Brace Bolt Hole/Nut Stripped Out...

myrddin

He guys... I was reminded today that I have a bolt that I cant tighten on my driver side windshield bracket... its just stuck in the hole... I can pull it right out... the threads are stripped on the bracket side. One day while tightening it to (15 FP?) it just stripped out... I think its because I have removed the light bar brackets so many times?? All the others are fine, but my OCD would love to fix if I can... I do have a nutzert tool, bot I would rather fix it as is if its possible? Looks like the dash needs to come out to see that nut? Anyone on here have to fix this before?

Hope someone can help...
2009 JKU

jeff_in_rc

When you look in the hole what do you see? Are the threads stripped completely out of the nut? If no have you thought of running a tap thru the nut to clean it up?
If completely stripped out either a thread repair, heilicoil or something similar, or a nutzert would be in order.

myrddin

You think a heilicoil will work? It's pretty far recessed. Yes it's 100% stripped... I can push the bolt in and pull it out as if it were just a hole... but that nut is still in place. If I remember right it's a nut on a plate or something like that.

Not sure what to do...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeff_in_rc

As long as you can drill it out to the correct size and put the heilicoil in you should be good, and yes the nut is on a plate. I do not know of you can get the plate out but if you could then you could weld a new nut in place. I don't think you could use a nutzert because it is recessed, could be wrong.

myrddin

Thanks... I'm going to go grab a heilicoil kit and try... starting there and ic that fails I will look at nutcerts... and see what my options are... if anyone has done this please chime in... kind of sucks that it's stripped out...

If I get the heilicoil in... should I try to torque it to 15 FP or snug it up and not push my luck?

whatroads

If this were my jeep, I would check with the dealer parts counter to find out what size bolt this is. I would then look to see how much larger the next bolt size would be. If not too much larger, around 1/16 inch diameter, I would drill to the next size and re-tap it. You might have to temporarily use a regular hex bolt and order the next size up torx bolt so it mostly would match the other bolts. For the torx bolt you could try some of the online auto parts stores or simply do a web search. Paint the new torx bolt head and you're done.

T.McD

Like Jeff said, I would recommend installing a helicoil first as it does not involve taking all the outer brackets off. If that does not work, installing a nutsert will need all the outer brackets off to get to a flat level. If it's still recessed due to a welded nut behind and taking the outer brackets off, I would use a small sleeve between the insert and the tool to get the insert to get into the hole and sit flat for pulling needs.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeff_in_rc

Thanks... I'm going to go grab a heilicoil kit and try... starting there and ic that fails I will look at nutcerts... and see what my options are... if anyone has done this please chime in... kind of sucks that it's stripped out...

If I get the heilicoil in... should I try to torque it to 15 FP or snug it up and not push my luck?

I would use a 1/4 drive ratchet and just snug it up.

If this were my jeep, I would check with the dealer parts counter to find out what size bolt this is. I would then look to see how much larger the next bolt size would be. If not too much larger, around 1/16 inch diameter, I would drill to the next size and re-tap it. You might have to temporarily use a regular hex bolt and order the next size up torx bolt so it mostly would match the other bolts. For the torx bolt you could try some of the online auto parts stores or simply do a web search. Paint the new torx bolt head and you're done.

Good idea, hey myrddin take a look at this suggestion as it's a good one. Something to consider.

myrddin

Ok so 30 bucks later (bought the heilicoil) I noticed the comment about, the bolt. I thought it was a good idea... so I started looking at my taps and looking at next size up M10x1.25x however long... while doing so I noticed that the nut that's inside the window brace was there but seemed deeper than the others... so I pulled out a random bolt that was right size but a lot longer and it threaded up fine... I ran my M8 tap in to the nut and cleaned it up and then started looking closer at it... it's not stripped, but it's too far into the brace for the factory bolt to reach... I think it's fallen out of the thing that holds it in the tub or frame... so now I'm trying to make sure it's not stripped and figure out how to shift it back into place... or I may see if I can find longer bolts?

Long story longer... I think it did strip, but just the outer edge, and I don't think the bolt ever screwed all the way in due to how the nut side has fallen away...

Thoughts?

Last edited:

myrddin

It's odd that the nut is so deep... I picked up a M8 x 1.25 x 40mm hex head bolt ant it threads right up and tightens up fine... I think it shifted or something. It's tight for now... I did order a set of extra long torx bolts I found on Amazon... will see if they are long enough... worst case I will calm my OCD down with a set of 10 matching bolts from the hardware store... I didn't find any online, but haven't looked real hard yet.

Appreciate everyone's help! Very cool...

jamo922

I’m having a similar problem as one of my boats will not come out. It seems to be stripped in place. I don’t know how to get that not removed. Any suggestions as appreciated. Image1528403395.079633.jpg

BaddestCross

I’m having a similar problem as one of my boats will not come out. It seems to be stripped in place. I don’t know how to get that not removed. Any suggestions as appreciated. View attachment 303215

From what I understand, it's a nut attached to a flimsy piece of metal. I had the same problem but on one of the bolts on the side. I ended up having to cut it off.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Top Bottom