6 speed JK occasionally gets stuck at around 2k rpm and then drops again to idle

jeepr13

As the title says I have a JKU (3.8) that has had some weird idling issues, it occasionally gets stuck at around 2k rpm and then drops again to idle when I am in neutral (6 speed manual). Anyone else have this issue? I have had idling issues with my old tj, but it ened up just being a loose vacuum line. I have read that it could be the tps (throttle position sensor) or IAC (idle air controller). Many have suggested cleaning the throttle body and IAC and that this helps, has anyone done this with sucsess?. Thanks in advance.

WJCO

Meme King
Being that there's so much electronics nowadays, I would disconnect the battery for 10 seconds and then reconnect it. If that doesn't work, cleaning the IAC and Tbody would be my next step. How many miles on it?

jeepr13

Being that there's so much electronics nowadays, I would disconnect the battery for 10 seconds and then reconnect it. If that doesn't work, cleaning the IAC and Tbody would be my next step. How many miles on it?

It has about 90k on it. So not brand new obviously. Just got the jeep so I don't know all of its quirks yet. It does have a banks cold air intake, could that have an effect? I checked spark plugs today, and disconected the battery. Don't recall it doing that before I disconnected the battery... could that have caused an issue?

WJCO

Meme King
It has about 90k on it. So not brand new obviously. Just got the jeep so I don't know all of its quirks yet. It does have a banks cold air intake, could that have an effect? I checked spark plugs today, and disconected the battery. Don't recall it doing that before I disconnected the battery... could that have caused an issue?

I doubt it would be an issue. Make sure all the clamps are tight. Also if there are any sensors going into the aftermarket intake, Make sure they are tight and air isn't leaking around them. TPS sensors can malfunction without setting a code. You can test them pretty easily with an ohmmeter.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

I doubt it would be an issue. Make sure all the clamps are tight. Also if there are any sensors going into the aftermarket intake, Make sure they are tight and air isn't leaking around them. TPS sensors can malfunction without setting a code. You can test them pretty easily with an ohmmeter.

The only issue I could see if that when removing the IAT from the stock air tube and reinstalling into the new tube from banks that you slightly damaged the sensor. It's a sensitive sensor and could have been damaged on reinstall.

Top Bottom