Hydro Assist and DW ?

TJ2JK

Now that I've been running my 37's on the rocks in Moab a few times, upgrading to Hydro Assist is in the plans.
However, in the past I've also had the excitement of DW. With that now in-check (worn ball joints....now replaced), I was wondering if anyone has experienced DW with a Hydro Assist (HA) ?
My wife is nervous that with the Hydro Assist, that IF we have that occur again, and with HA, it will only amplify the issue which scares her to death (she does drive the Jeep around town and loves it...usually), but hates the DW experience. She's been doing her own research and some people say it can't happen with HA (masks any issues), yet others say it makes it worse.
So.....what's the truth? Anyone running HA and have still experienced DW?
She's the toll-gate in moving forward and I need to convince her life will be better with HA.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If anything, hydro assist will do an even better job of masking death wobble. In other words, if you have loose or worn out components that would otherwise lead to death wobble, you won't know it.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I would try and make sure you figure out why your getting death wobble before you do hydro. The hydro will just mask the issue.

Edit- eddie beat me to it lol

jeeeep

Hooked
as mentioned, HA will mask DW.

I have HA w/37's and was feeling a slight shimmy for about a month - never got worse than a slight shimmy

Finally decided to check things over and found the ball joints and hubs were worn - the lower ball joint was so loose I'm surprised the shaft didn't fall out on its own.

Hubs were also shot probably due to the ball joints being bad for so long.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
as mentioned, HA will mask DW.

I have HA w/37's and was feeling a slight shimmy for about a month - never got worse than a slight shimmy

Finally decided to check things over and found the ball joints and hubs were worn - the lower ball joint was so loose I'm surprised the shaft didn't fall out on its own.

Hubs were also shot probably due to the ball joints being bad for so long.

Crazy just at how much a ram assist will absorb so much :crazyeyes:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I had a shimmy, also with 37".
Tighten all the bolts to spec and rebalanced my tires, just that alone almost completely eliminated it. Next step was to check ball joints, found some play in them and will be replacing stock ones with ProSteers next week. I am sure that will put a complete stop to the shimmy.

Proper tire balancing makes an enormous difference!

.....…...............................................................
MY BUILT/REBUILD: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?44123-Rebuilt-of-a-Billet-Silver-mall-crawler&p=859931#post859931

jeeeep

Hooked
Crazy just at how much a ram assist will absorb so much :crazyeyes:

really is, I was surprised how bad the ball joints were and I was driving on freeways with them shot like that up to 75mph.
Next time I feel a shimmy I'm not putting it off to do the full inspection

TJ2JK

Thanks for the replies so far. Helpful for sure.
I too didn't think having Hydro could amplify DW, but rather dampen it or hide the underlying cause(s), but my better half wasn't taking my word for it. This will help.
I've eliminated the DW recently, and just for good measure, had the tires re-balanced and using Eddie's great info, re-checked the caster and toe-in. All are good, everything tight.
Now the real challenge begins....convincing her I 'need' Hydro for the slickrock in moab.....to help keep the gearbox from an early death

Top Bottom