Stereo Upgrade Suggestions

Jersey_Devil

OK so I got a 2010 JKU Rubicon with the Touch Screen head unit overhead sound bar and rear Infinite sub. I want to KEEP my factory head unit, I just want to get a lil more sound outta the stereo. I've been told they have speaker upgrades that are plug and play for both my sound bar and dashboard speakers, is that correct? If so what are some good choices? Now I was also told today that by just simply replacing the factory sub with another better sub really won't do much of anything without upgrading the amps and such... So what I really wanna know is what can I do to just simply add ANOTHER sub to the existing stereo and KEEP the factory one working? I've seen someone post a pic of a box that fits under jku rear seat, and I know I can make a box to keep small and outta the way. Or do I have to delete my factory sub completely? Sorry I never got TOO into stereo stuff, I can hook it up if somebody gives me a lil direction.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and information u provide!

Maybe some pics of ur setups so I can get some ideas???

TheDuff

The mopar offered drop in upgrade speakers are kickers, I see them on amazon a lot.
I don't think you want to use anything else if you plan on keeping the factory HU and sub, since the factory stuff is all 2ohm and pretty much anything else aftermarket will be 4ohm. So either get the kickers or plan on adding a 5ch amp to power after market speakers and sub. Now to add a amp to the factory system is tricky enough. There are a few ways to do it, one would be: line level converter. This would be ideal if you want to ditch the factory amp (doing so you lose fader control at the head unit, but that's what an inexpensive equalizer is for!). Another way involves line level converter and another piece of hardware (I don't remember the name of it, but its talked about else where) that will fix some of the junky stuff the factory amp does. Keep in mind neither of these methods allow the factory head unit to control the amp you are wanting to add, you will need either to add a equalizer or some amps have a connection port for a sub volume knob that can be mounted where you please.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jersey_Devil

Think I'll just do the speakers.... That's other suspension stuff I could buy with that money lol.... Kicker makes a plug and play upgrade and it's on Amazon? Works for me! Thanks!

TheDuff

Since I had the basic CD deck, I ended up just ditching the rest of the infinity sound package. I ran new speaker wire from my new deck to 6.5's and added a amp. I'll be putting a better sub in the factory box. Sure, I could have bought an adapter to allow me to just add a new head unit and keep everything else. But I would lose fader control and still not be able to control the factory sub. Besides I hated how the infinity amp cuts out frequencies to the sound bar speakers. The stupid can bus system makes doing anything to the infinity system a pain and cost about as much as replacing it all. But if you have a good deck option already, then grab the kickers. Maybe just stuff the factory sub enclosure with poly fill and call it a day

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

DasBuxxx

OK so I got a 2010 JKU Rubicon with the Touch Screen head unit overhead sound bar and rear Infinite sub. I want to KEEP my factory head unit, I just want to get a lil more sound outta the stereo. I've been told they have speaker upgrades that are plug and play for both my sound bar and dashboard speakers, is that correct? If so what are some good choices? Now I was also told today that by just simply replacing the factory sub with another better sub really won't do much of anything without upgrading the amps and such... So what I really wanna know is what can I do to just simply add ANOTHER sub to the existing stereo and KEEP the factory one working? I've seen someone post a pic of a box that fits under jku rear seat, and I know I can make a box to keep small and outta the way. Or do I have to delete my factory sub completely? Sorry I never got TOO into stereo stuff, I can hook it up if somebody gives me a lil direction.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and information u provide!

Maybe some pics of ur setups so I can get some ideas???

I would advise against putting even an additional sub in the back, with my experience with installing car stereos I would not mix subs (2 different brands), and I wouldn't fork out the cash for another infinity that is dealer grade. I would recommend sticking with the stock sub unless you plan on setting up an entirely new system with an aftermarket sub and amp:rock:.

As for kicker, I have had a great experience with their speakers in the past, I ran them in my very first XJ...but I haven't run them since. That being said, they have started carrying their speakers at Walmart. Not that I have anything against Walmart, I buy stuff there all the time, but when looking to upgrade from your current set up to them...I recommend listening to them first. The last thing you want is to not even be able to tell you changed out your speakers:doh:.

I am doing some research on this myself, as I made a bet with the better half that involved a new head-unit and speakers in the JK and it is looking like I am going to come out on top. I will be replacing the head-unit though (I am running bare bones stock unit). I will be looking around this weekend and finalizing my decisions. I can report back next week with my findings if you would like.

What are you looking at in terms of a budget?

jkhutchison09

I replaced all 4 6.5s with Polk Audio Dxi650 and put a single Polk 12" w/ 800w Polk Amp. I still use the factory '11 touch screen and it is awesome. That entire line of Polk Audio is "Marine Certified" and so far has held up really well to the elements. The system is crisp and loud with all the doors and top dropped. I spliced into the factory sub in the back and ran the sub volume control up to the front, took off everything but the small faceplate and knob off the volume knob and mounted it right into the dash to the right of the steering wheel. Wouldn't change a thing about it.

Jersey_Devil

So I was can simply REPLACE the factory amp and sub with better ones? Is that all I'd need to buy, just a sub and amp?

Jersey_Devil

I replaced all 4 6.5s with Polk Audio Dxi650 and put a single Polk 12" w/ 800w Polk Amp. I still use the factory '11 touch screen and it is awesome. That entire line of Polk Audio is "Marine Certified" and so far has held up really well to the elements. The system is crisp and loud with all the doors and top dropped. I spliced into the factory sub in the back and ran the sub volume control up to the front, took off everything but the small faceplate and knob off the volume knob and mounted it right into the dash to the right of the steering wheel. Wouldn't change a thing about it.

And how did u fit a 12" sub in an 8" box?

jkhutchison09

Apologies, thought I put this part in but I put a separate box in the back, the factory sub started to go out on me and after pulling it out to see how deep it was behind it, it was pretty shallow. It would be hard to find a good sub that had a reduced basket and magnet to fit and was worried I would get vibrations if I tried to put an aftermarket 8 with an amp in the plastic factory box.

DasBuxxx

Apologies, thought I put this part in but I put a separate box in the back, the factory sub started to go out on me and after pulling it out to see how deep it was behind it, it was pretty shallow. It would be hard to find a good sub that had a reduced basket and magnet to fit and was worried I would get vibrations if I tried to put an aftermarket 8 with an amp in the plastic factory box.

That would be the biggest problem you have in replacing with a quality speaker is the rattle you would get from the plastic box that they put the infinity in. Plus getting it to fit, with a better speaker you are most likely going to have a larger magnet

Top Bottom