Recommendations on build list

So I'm finally putting together a lift kit build list for my jeep and would like any recommendations or extra tidbits of information I may need to know. I'm looking to go with a 3in lift with 35s until I decide to upgrade my gears/axle, grab some 37s, and trim my fenders.

Current driving habits / setup:
-Daily driver
-The trails I ride are very mild and poke along :drinks:
-Stock 2016 Rubicon with 4.10 gears
-Transmission and oil pan skid

Does the following list sound pretty solid or is there anything I should be concerned about?

Wish list items:
- Front adjustable lower control arms --- Currie
- Front drive shaft 1310 --- Adams or J.E. Reel
- 3.5 in coil springs --- JKS
- Front track bar --- JKS
- Rear track bar bracket --- EVO
- 3 in Bump stops --- EVO
- Brake line extensions F/R --- Crown
- Front sway bar links --- JKS quicker disconnect (open to suggestions and could go cheaper since I have E-Discos)

I'm unsure which route to take with coil springs. I was looking hard at EVO, RK, Synergy, and JKS. For some reason I took a note over a year ago to purchase JKS coil springs and do not remember my reasoning. Any suggestions for coil springs? Also should I go ahead and upgrade my shocks or can I get away with some shock extensions for a little while?

Just a few extra FYI's... Chose Currie FLCA's over EVO's because it was cheaper and didn't feel like I needed the ability to adjust the caster while the control arm was bolted in place or for a beefed up control arm for my needs. Figured it was more of a convenience to adjust with EVO FLCA and after I had any FLCA set I wouldn't need to touch the adjustments anymore (could be totally wrong here, and never have adjusted any caster). I chose Adams or J.E. Reel because it seems like the go to companies. Honestly, I'm not really sure why I chose the JKS front track bar.:thinking::idontknow: EVO rear track bar because I don't think I could go wrong with that choice. JKS quicker disconnects just in case I ever needed to disconnect if my E-disco failed.

Thanks in advance!

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Honestly, i would just buy a complete kit. The evo enforcer is a great kit. Thats basically what your piecing together anyway. I havent done the math, but its probably cheaper to buy the kit anyway then all the random pieces your picking. And as for shocks, i would recommend rancho 9000s, especially while the rebate is current

Edit: i would recommend a drag link flip kit also. Evos kit will eliminate your need for an adjustable front track bar as well

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Id say if you're lifting over 3" get a Drag link flip kit and use the stock front track bar. You can get away with shock extenders for awhile, but the ride may not be optimal. Since you have so many JKS parts, I'd recommend the JKS kit. The price seems reasonable.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Andy5160

Hooked
Honestly, i would just buy a complete kit. The evo enforcer is a great kit. Thats basically what your piecing together anyway. I havent done the math, but its probably cheaper to buy the kit anyway then all the random pieces your picking. And as for shocks, i would recommend rancho 9000s, especially while the rebate is current

Edit: i would recommend a drag link flip kit also. Evos kit will eliminate your need for an adjustable front track bar as well

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Second that motion Greg!

JKbrick

Anyone had any experience with the JKS coil springs? I may just stick with the EVO kit, add a drag link flip and call it a day.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I just put the JKS coils I had on my 2 door on my neighbors 4 door. They were supposed to be 2" lift and gave me 3 3/4" but only 3" on his 4 door. I thought they rode very nice, no different then my new EVO hd leveling kit. That's what the box said anyway

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I agree with this. With appropriate bumpstops you can do 35's on a 2" lift and 37's on 2.5". Really all depends on your end goals.

Edit: with trimmed fenders.
Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app
I actually have considered this and it would save a little money if I was happy with 2.5in springs with 35s or 37s with a fender trim. Maybe if I saw some more pictures with that setup I would be convinced. Seems like a lot of people end up with 3in lifts on 37s.

Anyone have some photos of 2.5in lifts on 37s with a fender trim?

I would think I'd need to upgrade my gears before going 37s also. What bump stop size should I get if I went 2.5in with 37s. I would think larger than 2.5 because of the extra tire size to eliminate rub. Thoughts?

RSQCON

Anyone had any experience with the JKS coil springs? I may just stick with the EVO kit, add a drag link flip and call it a day.
If you want a complete kit now that I would go with Currie. Gets you the arms you want, the make good coils and great steering products.

GraniteCrystal

Thanks guys.

I run the JKS JSpec JKonnect kit. It's about as complete a kit as you can get, but you could just order certain parts if you wanted to. Lots of pics in my build thread. I'm running 3.5" with 37s and I love the stance and the ride. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

I run the JKS JSpec JKonnect kit. It's about as complete a kit as you can get, but you could just order certain parts if you wanted to. Lots of pics in my build thread. I'm running 3.5" with 37s and I love the stance and the ride. Happy to answer any questions you may have.
Nice build man! I may have to go with the same tire and wheel setup you have. I definitely like the looks of your jeep! [emoji106]

It's been a little while since I last replied, but I bought a few things to get me started with my build.

What I have so far:
- JKS JSPEC 2.5" suspension system
- C Gussets
- ATX Ravine wheels
- Dana 44s w/ 4.10s

I'm attempting to run my stock Dana 44 w/ C gussets, 4.10s, and stock control arms for now. When my budget allows I'll upgrade my control arms, drive shaft, gears, drag link flip kit, 3.5" springs, etc. I really wanted to get 37s under my jeep without the extra expense of the other components that would be recommended after a 3" lift. Figured I would immediately get 37 envy if I bought 35s to start with. I'll slowly add recommended parts for a larger 3.5" lift until I have a complete kit.

So I have two questions...

1. Will the 2.5" bump-stops that come with the JKS JSPEC lift be enough or should I consider a larger bump-stop with 37s? Also... I will be trimming my fenders.
2. Is there anything else to consider when running 37s with a 2.5" lift? I know its not an ideal setup, but I'll be doing some mild wheeling and mostly daily driving until I get stronger parts and a larger lift for more articulation and tire clearance.

Edit: I'll look at trimming my pinch seams and my Rubi rails also.

Last edited:
F

Fionayeti

I agree with most comments here - go with a complete lift system and save yourself some headaches. Engineers spend lots of time designing and testing their systems so you get a safe kit, good performance all at fair costs. JKS and EVO are well-respected manufacturers and you can't go wrong with either. I like soft springs with stiffer shocks, like Fox, which is my setup. Some guys like stiff springs with a softer, hydraulic shock. It just depends on what you want the vehicle to do. Take into account the weight of bumpers, winches. etc. that you plan on running, because that'll really effect your suspension and performance.

Also, some kits are more complete than others. 35's will put stresses on everything. I'd consider new track bars, track bar bracket supports, steering bracket supports, C gusset supports and stronger ball joints. Remember, Jeep didn't design the vehicle for 35's. And did I mention new driveshafts? You'll want those too if you go 4" and higher.

I'm not a fan of shoving a 35 or 37 inch tire on a 2 or 2.5 inch lift. You'll rub at extreme articulation if you don't trim your fenders or buy new flat style ones like Bushwhackers. Much of this is opinion so I'll keep it at that.

The one thing I will say from experience is that an auto tranny, and even a manual tranny, with 4:10's ain't going to cut it with 35's and definitely not with 37's. I have a rubi with the crappy 3.8 and 4:10's and the stupid thing never stayed in overdrive and had zero power in first gear - or any gears. I upgraded to 5:13's and what a relief! Now I never kick out of overdrive and the Jeep is quick off the line. And I got my low end wheeling crawl power back. At 70 mph's I'm at about 2400 rpm's - perfect for the 3.8 engine which wants higher rpm's to make power. If you go to 37's you'll want 5:38's. Again, lots of opinions on this but ultimately it's all about what you want your Jeep to do.

Top Bottom