Advice

JagJeeper

Near a move on my build and have a few questions for the experience and more mechanically inclined.
--Got 2014 JKU Rubicon 3.5 RE short arm superflex lift, non adjustable Fox shocks with reservoir, 37's with 20 inch wheels (it was a gift); stationed in Central California so want to set her up for rocks plus better with bumps at higher speeds (my set up is terrible with any speed + bumps)
--planning this October for front PR44 (staying 37's) with regear, drive shafts, chromoly rear axles rods with full underarmor. (Thinking Synergy) Big ticket move I'm saving up for.
1. To improve my ride quality without big expense can I replace my RE springs for Evo plush ride springs with my RE lift? If so 3 or 4 inch? Yes or no spring retainers? Do plush springs make me more tippy/how are they offroad? If no just save up for what to switch out? Long arms really worth it?
2. Was told my wheels are a big part of my ride quality issues. I want to get beadlocks. I'm between Raceline beadlocks (I can get a very good deal on Raceline) vs atx slabs. Any real difference between the brands? Plain Slabs ok vs Chamber Pro 2's? (Which I didn't see a 5 lug wheel) Plus most affordable place y'all recently purchased.

Thanks for any advice hope to see y'all on trail.

Sent from my SM-N910V using WAYALIFE mobile app

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Forgive me as im no professional. RE coils are know to be stiff. I would try switching them out with 4" plush rides. Also, what air pressure are your tires at. I would suggest doing the chalk test bc if your tires are over filled, they will hit bumps very hard

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
--planning this October for front PR44 (staying 37's) with regear, drive shafts, chromoly rear axles rods with full underarmor. (Thinking Synergy) Big ticket move I'm saving up for.

There is no need for "full under armor". Your factory skids are more than adequate. Just get what your Jeep didn't come with like oil pan and transmission protection. It's all you really need.

1. To improve my ride quality without big expense can I replace my RE springs for Evo plush ride springs with my RE lift? If so 3 or 4 inch? Yes or no spring retainers? Do plush springs make me more tippy/how are they offroad? If no just save up for what to switch out? Long arms really worth it?

Yes, you can run the Plush Ride with what you have now and I would recommend the 4" being that you will be running 37's. Spring retainers shouldn't be needed unless your shocks are too long and allow for too much droop. I doubt this though. Plush Rides will not make your Jeep feel tippy as they allow for good stuff as opposed to just droop. Long arms are not needed and would only really benefit your on road ride quality and/or when bombing across the desert.

2. Was told my wheels are a big part of my ride quality issues.

There is truth to this. Most tires made for 20" wheels will have a load range E and very little sidewall and that will give you a harsh ride. If you're running anything more than 30 psi, that'll be the source of a lot of what you're feeling. Running at about 26-28 psi should help.

I want to get beadlocks. I'm between Raceline beadlocks (I can get a very good deal on Raceline) vs atx slabs. Any real difference between the brands? Plain Slabs ok vs Chamber Pro 2's? (Which I didn't see a 5 lug wheel) Plus most affordable place y'all recently purchased.

Racelines are nice bead locks but Slabs or Chamber Pro II's have a better ring design, are much thicker, have bigger bolts and ones that are completely recessed. There are plenty of people running Chambers with a 5x5 bolt pattern.

JKbrick

If I were buying a new set of wheels I think I'd get the machete wheels with the holes in the rings for cleaning purposes, however I bought used slabs cause I'm a cheap ass

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

JagJeeper

Awesome! Thanks for replying. Reading this forum gave me a lot of the ideas for my build. Wish money was unlimited that's why I need tips.
--running 26 psi.
--tires almost ready to be replaced will look into Chamber Pros. (Tax returns) along with 4 inch plush springs.
--get missing pieces of underarmor (also with returns)
--then with my October bonus front PR44's/5.13 gears/drive shaft/chromoly rear axles rods.
Think I'll be ready for Rubicon/Big Bear and Moab. Very exciting. Hopefully can join a WAL run.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I'm running the rock hard skid plate. It's a very solid piece, but if I did it over, I'd get the EVO one. At first I didn't want a transmission mounted skid, thinking it would damage the motor or trans mounts. False. The rock hard skid scoops up mud and lays it against the exhaust crossover pipe. yuck. I found out for my off-roading, I do hit the skids, but it's at low speed and usually just a big rock, so the evo skid would be fine.

JagJeeper

In final negotiations with America's Tire for Chamber Pro II's (330 per) with STT Pro's 37x13.5R17 (315 per). Don't think the salesman is super Jeep savvy. Because:
1. He was going to order valve stems separate I was told it's included with the Chamber Pros?
2. He felt I should get new set of lug nuts. I'm thinking my current ones should work?
3. He recommended I get new tire pressure sensors. I think I could just move them from my old tires into the new ones? Just screws in from inside? (I will have to mount them myself) Should I even keep the tire pressure sensors? If I do with 2 tire valve stems per tire will it matter which I connect it too?

Thanks for helping the mechanically challenged.

GraniteCrystal

In final negotiations with America's Tire for Chamber Pro II's (330 per) with STT Pro's 37x13.5R17 (315 per). Don't think the salesman is super Jeep savvy. Because:
1. He was going to order valve stems separate I was told it's included with the Chamber Pros?
2. He felt I should get new set of lug nuts. I'm thinking my current ones should work?
3. He recommended I get new tire pressure sensors. I think I could just move them from my old tires into the new ones? Just screws in from inside? (I will have to mount them myself) Should I even keep the tire pressure sensors? If I do with 2 tire valve stems per tire will it matter which I connect it too?

Thanks for helping the mechanically challenged.

1) not sure
2) I've always heard new lug nuts with new wheels. Not sure why though. Maybe just a good time to replace them.
3) I don't see why you couldn't keep the old tpms. The extra valve stem is one more thing to break off on the trail though. I think most running beadlocks don't bother with tpms

JagJeeper

1) not sure
2) I've always heard new lug nuts with new wheels. Not sure why though. Maybe just a good time to replace them.
3) I don't see why you couldn't keep the old tpms. The extra valve stem is one more thing to break off on the trail though. I think most running beadlocks don't bother with tpms
Thanks. Not sure if it'd be worth having the tpms. For won't order one. Am looking forward to the 2 stem thing to air down and up better.

rockwell

I would think the TPMS would be even more useful with beadlocks since they are more prone to leak and can alert you if the bolts start to loosen up.

JeepJeep75

I am running TPM sensors in my Machete BL's. I find the system really useful after airing the tires back up after a trail ride. I figured out that I have to air up to 32 psi. Then once the hot compressed air cools, the tires sit at 28 psi when cold.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom