Cylinder 4 help

Cam

A little history on our 2012 JK. Well right after we got our Wrangler we had the failed left cylinder head that everyone talks about. Our left cylinder head was the one that ended in AA and they replaced it at bout 20K miles under warranty. Everything was fine until last November. Same code, same cylinder, another new left head but this time with the part ending in AC replacing they AB head the put in, still under extended head warranty at about 60K miles. They also said it needed a new coil pack for that cylinder and with my warranty up that was $40. Sounded fine to me. Two weeks later same code. Replaced same coil pack again and PCM. While not under warranty they took care of it. Frustrated to not have the jeep another week but appreciated not being billed for a preexisting problem with the warrenty having ran out. Two weeks later same code. They had it for a week and figured out it was the spark plug for that same cylinder. It took so long because they didn't think it could be the plug because the head they put in a few months ago came with new plugs. No charge. Today two week later, check engine light on again. Going to check the code when I get home and take it back to the dealer. Question is should I try a new dealer? It's not under warranty but this dealer is trying. If I switch to a dealer farther away with a better reputation I don't know if they will feel obligated to say this is a preexisting problem while it was still under warranty? Not to mention if they say it's good to go is it really. Go enough to take the kids out on the trail and have it break down again. Lost all confidence in the jeep. :mad::mad::mad:

srbell0585

Having worked at many dealers I would say take it to the same one. I know it's frustrating. If you haven't already sat down with the service manager/general manager and expressed your frustration I would do so.

Sent from my SM-N910T using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
agree take it to the same one since you already have a history and they really shouldn't tell you anything is out of warranty if it's related to the same issue.

I'm attached to my Jeep but if I were having the same ongoing issue I'd be contacting the AG and getting lemon law paperwork going...I'd have them start talking about replacing the Jeep or the whole motor

Cam

Went home last night and its the same code.P2311 cylinder 4 misfire. :naw::naw::naw:

Called the service manager. He said bring it back in and they would be contacting Jeep directly for direction. It is over 5 years old and 60K miles now so the 3 yr 36K mile bumper to bumper and 5yr 60K power train warrantly is over even though the last cylinder head replacement was before the 5 year power train warranty was expired. Its just the cylinder head that has the extended 10 year 150K mile warranty so I guess we will see where this goes. Thank for the advice.

Cam

Well after having the Jeep at the dealer for another week a Jeep Engineer is recommending cutting the wire at the PCM and directly wiring the PCM to the coil of cylinder 4. I guess with the new head, plug, coil pk, and PCM, they have concluded it must be a short in the wiring harness between the PCM and coil. They said this will take about 4 hours and be about $698 and will hopefully resolve the problem. They said that since they warranty is expired and they did the PCM at no cost after the head they have to charge us for the labor. Seems high but fair after the other work and parts done for free. Could prob get this done cheaper elsewhere but keeping it at the dealer in case it doesn't fix the problem. Seem like a lot to bypass the wiring harness but what else are my options when I have had it in 4 times so far for a coil pack, plug, and PCM and been charged nothing and even If I wanted to go somewhere else I would owe $150 for diagnostic done.

Top Bottom