What is this part? Exhaust system - 2016 Jeep JK 2 door

Helwyr

Looking at upgrading the exhaust in my jeep.

A mechanic at a local big name shop said that "this" part would be "illegal" to remove. Never mentioned what is was called, but I assumed it was something like the catalytic converter.

Then I got home and thought more about it... isn't the cat BEFORE the y pipe, and that catback systems are literally behind the cat?

So what is

this.jpg

Mopar® 5147214AD Exhaust Extension Pipe for 12-17 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door

Is it illegal to remove? Was this mechanic an idiot? Am I?
As long as I keep my catalytic converter, and stick to a reputable brand name... Should I be ok?

jeepr13

The part you are pointing at is the muffler and not the cat. Where I live in Colorado there are no emissions testing so you don't even need a cat let alone an exhaust system. Differs by state what is allowed, but if that system is a catback you shouldn't have any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
It may be called a resonator. Either way it has NO affect on emissions. The only thing illegal about removing it would be if it violates some kind of draconian noise code.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
It may be called a resonator. Either way it has NO affect on emissions. The only thing illegal about removing it would be if it violates some kind of draconian noise code.

^^^This. It's a resonator, but really it's a second muffler. It's the same concept as the 2 mufflers used in the Dynomax Quiet Crawler system.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom