New axles and Brakes question

Malac

So I have been saving up for my new Dana Ultimate 60 axles and it is becoming even more evident that I need to do my brakes first. The question is, should I just replace the pads (cheap) and keep working toward my 60's or should I bite the bullet and get the right package for my breaks now? And by right breaks, I am thinking about the Dynatrac progrip brake set up. And before all the questions, I am not completely set on getting the Dana axles over the Dynatrac. I am still doing my research and saving for relatively about the same costs.
Thanks all.

Malac

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
So I have been saving up for my new Dana Ultimate 60 axles and it is becoming even more evident that I need to do my brakes first. The question is, should I just replace the pads (cheap) and keep working toward my 60's or should I bite the bullet and get the right package for my breaks now? And by right breaks, I am thinking about the Dynatrac progrip brake set up. And before all the questions, I am not completely set on getting the Dana axles over the Dynatrac. I am still doing my research and saving for relatively about the same costs.
Thanks all.

Malac

What size tires are you running?

Edit: I see your profile says 37s. Do you want to replace your brakes because of wear or because you don't feel like they are stopping you as well anymore.

tgoss

I guess it depends on how close you are to pulling the trigger on new axles, but brakes are not a thing I fvck around with. That being said it doesn't necessarily mean you NEED progrips.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
dont the 60s come with a dual piston caliper setup? if so, the progrip upgrade would be rendered useless... as will a 5x5 progrip rotor on a 8 lug axle... either way it looks like IF you dropped the money on any brake component at this time, it would be a temporary brake solution for you.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
If you need new pads and rotors and are planning on 60's in the near future, I would go cheap for the time being. No sense paying for pro grips when they won't work for your planned upgrade

Malac

If you need new pads and rotors and are planning on 60's in the near future, I would go cheap for the time being. No sense paying for pro grips when they won't work for your planned upgrade

I think this clearly solves my dilemma. Yes I am running 37's but the axle upgrade will move them to 40's (as you stated along with the larger 8 bolt everything). I am not overly concerned about the performance issue of the brakes just noticing that they are getting a little squishy and probably around 20% pad life left. The Axles are about 2 months away from being purchased( just finishing up my homework and deciding on manufactures). In the end I think it will be best to just get a set of pads and use them until I do the major upgrade witch as stated would render any other options useless when the new axles go on. Thanks again for the use of you all as a sounding board to help me in my decision.

Malac

Thanks all.

Malac

When it comes to stopping power, better to have more than you need versus not enough or just barely enough. We don't think anyone would say their Jeep has "too much stopping power" or when looking at brake upgrades say "I want only what I need to stop my Jeep." And with a surplus of stopping power, if you decide later on to increase your wheel/tire combo size you'll still have plenty of braking power to keep things under control.

If you're already in the market for axle upgrades, Dynatrac ProRock 60 axle assemblies come with upgraded brakes, so you don't have to spend extra to get more stopping power with your axle upgrade.

https://www.dynatrac.com/axle-assemblies/prorock-60-axle.html

Now, if you're looking at upgrading the brakes on your current axles, something you need to keep in mind is that the brake upgrade you're paying for now will probably not work on the 60-series axles you're considering. So, you'd be spending money for a temporary upgrade, unless you could recoup the money spent by selling your current axles once you have the 60-series units installed. So, you really have to look at how long you'll be running your current axles before upgrading to 60s, and will you see a return on the investment.

That being said, there are lots of posts on this forum and others where folks have installed the ProGrip system and been thoroughly pleased with the results. Since ProGrip maintains the stock calipers, you don't have to open up the brake system and worry about bleeding it, so really you by yourself could install the system. And not only would you see better stopping on the street, but also uphill or downhill you'll find your Jeep has a lot more holding power to stay put as you're negotiating obstacles and such.

https://www.dynatrac.com/brake-systems/progriptm-for-the-jeep-jk.html

Last edited:

aermotor

Ermmm, if you're going to buying UD60s (should just buy the Dynatrac Hardcore 60/60 set instead) but both come with upgraded brakes... no clue why you would want to upgrade something you're going to not be able to use as soon as you get the new axles. Have you researched your axles enough? You should know that most kits all come with upgraded brakes. If you buy the ProGrips you will NOT be able to use those on on the UD60s or the PR60s. Spend the $12K for the Dynatrac's and don't look back.

Top Bottom