Hauling my Jeep

PilotJK

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a trailer to haul my Jeep in the next few weeks. I've read a few different techniques in securing it to the trailer. Such as... around the axles, frame, or D-rings. What's your preferred method? Also, any other suggestion will be appreciated.:thankyou:

Tumbleweed

A few points to ponder.
1: Get a bigger trailer than you think you need. 20' minimum.
2: Get 5,000 lb axles. Better brakes. Higher weight capacity.
3: Get brakes on both axles. Safety first.
4: Consider a deck over. Wider axles & tires might require it.

Last edited:

2Cross

Caught the Bug
A. Outlet of points to ponder.
1: Get a bigger trailer than you think you need. 20' minimum.
2: Get 5,000 lb axles. Better brakes. Higher weight capacity.
3: Get brakes on both axles. Safety first.
4: Consider a deck over. Wider axles & tires might require it.

I agree with the above.
Get a big trailer. Get strong axles.
I like D-rings to the axles but do Y straps over the tires. I think D-rings are better because when you stop the rig doesn't 'roll' forward (an inch or two). Plus with the D-rings to the axles you still have the vehicles suspension to absorb some of the bumps.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RSQCON

One of the best methods I've seen is to drive your vehicle onto the trailer and leave it running. With the vehicle safely in park get out and place a strap around each end of the front axle tube and hook the other end to your trailer d rings. Now get back in and put the vehicle in reverse so that you are placing a load on those straps. Now you can turn the vehicle off and go place a strap on each end of the rear axle tube and connect to the trailer d rings. Last step is to wratchet down the rear straps.

Of course you might change the sequence depending on if the vehicle is backed onto the trailer. Once you figure out how you want the vehicle oriented on the trailer for the appropriate tongue weight you can order custom straps so that only the rear straps need to be adjustable.

JamesCo

IMG_0770.jpg IMG_0775.jpg

Guys, strapping down Jeeps or any vehicle isn't rocket science. We do it everyday with up to 9 Jeeps on a load. We use wheel straps. You can use them with a ratchet also. Goes over the tire. You could use D-rings, cross chains, deck holes or tie down plates. We have as little as 4 inches between bumpers and they doesn't move. I would suggest using D-rings on a pull or gooseneck, I did on my gooseneck. Just figure out where you want the D-rings and either weld or bolt them down. Lasso straps (Y-straps) suck ass. All manufacturers will not allow us to use them for a reason, they don't hold very well and also can damage the wheel.

PilotJK

I agree with the above.
Get a big trailer. Get strong axles.
I like D-rings to the axles but do Y straps over the tires. I think D-rings are better because when you stop the rig doesn't 'roll' forward (an inch or two). Plus with the D-rings to the axles you still have the vehicles suspension to absorb some of the bumps.

Thanks, I was looking into a 14ft trailer but changed my mind. The most I can do is 16ft due to the limited space on my driveway. D-rings are on my want list too. I was thinking of strapping the axles and additional straps to the bumper. You think that's over kill?

Someone else on this thread said Mac's Straps.... I'm planning on that too...

Any opinions on the below link for Sure Trac?
https://www.sure-trac.com/products.php?trailerId=14

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Thanks, I was looking into a 14ft trailer but changed my mind. The most I can do is 16ft due to the limited space on my driveway. D-rings are on my want list too. I was thinking of strapping the axles and additional straps to the bumper. You think that's over kill?

Someone else on this thread said Mac's Straps.... I'm planning on that too...

Any opinions on the below link for Sure Trac?
https://www.sure-trac.com/products.php?trailerId=14

16ft should be fine for a 2 door, that's what I used on my tj. I have always hooked to the d-rings and kept straps at 45 degree angle to pull the jeep down to the trailer and have never had an issue. But with my new jeep I used macs axel straps too and I'm glad I did, because my new jeep has a lot more suspension travel and one of the straps hooked at the d-rings came loose coming back from Texas. IMG_3019.jpg

RSQCON

There are lots of ways to secure a vehicle but I would never recommend using the d rings on a bumper as the primary restraint. All it's takes is one good bump and the suspension can cycle enough to create slack in the strap causing the load to either shift or become dislodged. That is why I recommend the axle strap method. Now if you want to back up your axle straps with another set going to your Jeep d rings that's plenty good. Overkill? Maybe but if it keeps you from being distracted going down the road then go for it.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
There are lots of ways to secure a vehicle but I would never recommend using the d rings on a bumper as the primary restraint. All it's takes is one good bump and the suspension can cycle enough to create slack in the strap causing the load to either shift or become dislodged. That is why I recommend the axle strap method. Now if you want to back up your axle straps with another set going to your Jeep d rings that's plenty good. Overkill? Maybe but if it keeps you from being distracted going down the road then go for it.

Yes I agree that the d-ring shouldn't be the primary, but the one advantage to having it as secondary is it keeps your suspension from cycling while on the trailer, which could be several thousand miles.

PilotJK

I just got back from 5 different dealers. Its amazing how differently some businesses price the same exact trailer. Anyways, thanks to everyone for helping a brother out with all your input. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

PilotJK

16ft should be fine for a 2 door, that's what I used on my tj. I have always hooked to the d-rings and kept straps at 45 degree angle to pull the jeep down to the trailer and have never had an issue. But with my new jeep I used macs axel straps too and I'm glad I did, because my new jeep has a lot more suspension travel and one of the straps hooked at the d-rings came loose coming back from Texas. View attachment 248406

Are your trailer's fenders removable? I was wondering if you have any issues clearing them?

jeffj

Caught the Bug
It will not fit with my new rig. I have to run one tire up and over finder. I was worried if it would take the weight but it did. I will probably reinforce finder. Stock width axels and 3.5 back spacing it would fit, barely but it fit.

Top Bottom