Transfer Case Output Shaft Play

R

RockyMtnAnvil

I noticed some play in the rear output shaft of my transfer case. The play is up and down, almost as if there is a bad bearing. It's not a lot movement, and doesn't occur if I have a load on the driveline. The transfer case was recently installed out of a 2016 JKR and has less than 1,000 miles on it. I checked the torque on the yoke retention nut and all is good (200 ft/lbs). So, is it time to split the case and check/replace the bearings or is it normal to have a bit of slop?

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RockyMtnAnvil

Any thoughts? I should have just listened to that little voice and picked up an Atlas! :doh:

WJCO

Meme King
How much play? Do you have a dial indicator to measure it? Truthfully, I don't know specs, but things can have play as they wear. Can you post a short video of it?

R

RockyMtnAnvil

How much play? Do you have a dial indicator to measure it? Truthfully, I don't know specs, but things can have play as they wear. Can you post a short video of it?

I'll grab a video of it this evening and check it with my dial indicator. :thumb:

desertrunner

I just installed a rubi case into my sport a few weeks back and I don't remember either of them having any play up and down like you mentioned. Not sure if a small amount of play is bad or not just saying mine didn't have any that I noticed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom