Clay Bar / Polishing Jeep Paint

Rubi_the_jeep

Hey guys, so Ive been thinking about clay baring Rubi lately to give the paint a new clean look, but, I was also considering just buffering the whole thing to get any brush/tree branch scuffs out. Has anyone had any experience with using the clay bar and if so will it give the car the shine that I want or should I just go balls out and buffer/ polish the whole thing? Thanks!!

WAYALIFE 🌅

J

JKDream

Hey guys, so Ive been thinking about clay baring Rubi lately to give the paint a new clean look, but, I was also considering just buffering the whole thing to get any brush/tree branch scuffs out. Has anyone had any experience with using the clay bar and if so will it give the car the shine that I want or should I just go balls out and buffer/ polish the whole thing? Thanks!!

WAYALIFE 🌅
I don't think clay bars remove scratches very well. I use a buff wheel on a drill every now and then. We get some nasty pin striping here. Virtually every trail is like Eddie's Pin Stripe video lol

Napalm

WAYALIFE [emoji560]

I use a Clay bar to get the crap out of the paint and then use a polish/wax to remove finer scratches. A Clay bar won't remove scratches but it does seem like it's good for getting your paint nice and smooth. I do it after every wheeling trip!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Clay bar is mainly for removing particles from the paint. Use water or a recommended product along with the clay bar and you'll be surprised at what comes out. If your paints to far gone it's probably not worth the time but won't hurt to try then polish/wax

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rubi_the_jeep

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm probably just going to clay bar it and see what I can get out! I'll let you all know how it goes and post some pics later today

WAYALIFE 🌅

Rubi_the_jeep

I don't think clay bars remove scratches very well. I use a buff wheel on a drill every now and then. We get some nasty pin striping here. Virtually every trail is like Eddie's Pin Stripe video lol
LOL that was one of the worst things I've ever watched

WAYALIFE 🌅

aermotor

OUCH

I would fly through this in my old JK, which already had a ton, but never in my 2012 lol.

Last edited:

RSQCON

I would recommend the clay bar first (contaminates), then a polish (scratches) and finally a wax (sealer). Easy way to tell if you need to clay it is clean a small area and then run your hand across it. If it's not smooth as glass then clay it. Same thing do a small section and compared. You'll be amazed how the paint feels after a clay bar. It does take a lot of time but we'll worth it. No sense in waxing the vehicle all you'll do is seal in the contaminates.

J

JKDream

OUCH

I would fly through this in my old JK, which already had a ton, but never in my 2012 lol.

Haha. Any bush rig here looks pretty haggard cosmetic wise.
Living right on the ocean coast and surrounded with trees and mountains takes a toll on your paint.
My 2013 looks like an angry ex had a hay day with a set of keys :crazyeyes:

zimm

Caught the Bug
I haven't clay bar'd my jeep, but have on past vehicles (that I cared about the paint). Run a hose to keep the clay blob in a bath of water. I recommend some kind of end on the hose so you don't drag the metal threads into the paint. Rub the bar until it stops "sticking" and glides over the paint. With your bare hand you'll feel when it's smooth. It's amazing how much crap you get out of the clear coat with the clay and it goes pretty quick.

MrEmmDubya

I do it once a year. Take the time to use the clay bar before you buff/wax. If you buff/wax over contaminants you can drag the particles around and actually scratch more. The claybar should make the surface nice and smooth. If your paint is dull use a cleaner next and the buff/wax.

MrEmmDubya

If you do all three steps you will definitely invest some time. Turn some music on, get your preferred drink and at the end you can enjoy the outcome........

Stotch

Caught the Bug
:shock: Wow, my Jeep is lucky to get a wash and touch up paint... I've never even waxed a Jeep, ever. :blush:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Like others said, wash first, clay, use a polish, then sealant, and finish off with a good wax. If you take your time it will come out smooth as glass!

Rubi_the_jeep

20170316_182234.jpg 20170316_182140.jpg

Thanks for your help guys! I was able to clay bar the whole jeep. I'm going to polish later today and remove the swirl marks.

Top Bottom