Modded jeep stock height/ tire size

jeepr13

I'm sure this will change, but at the moment I am happy with the performance of my stock height jeep. Having two jeeps in the past I have learned my lesson about getting a cheap lift, as well as the true expenses that come with lifting a jeep. I am a pretty hardcore mountain biker and so the extreme trails I do on my bike and not in my jeep, but I still want a solid rig. I have arb bumpers front and rear and a winch, but I plan on getting sliders as well (probably ace or Evo). Anyone else have a decked out rig at stock height? Any other parts I should keep in mind? Thinking an evap and oil pan skid as well. Eventually when I actually have cash I do plan on getting an Evo lift kit and doing everything right but for the moment can't afford lift, rims, axle upgrades etc. thanks in advance and post up pics of your rigs if you have them.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I'm not sure you need skids on an '08 model. I think I read Wayoflife post that they were not necessary. On a '12 up, with an automatic transmission you would probably want them.

With your bumpers, you may actually be below stock height. You can use the 2 photographs I'll post to check. If you have, spacers are an inexpensive way to regain that lost height.

IMG_8559.JPG
IMG_8558.JPG

Stotch

Caught the Bug
The 3.8 oil pan sticks out quite a bit. This will eventually happen:
oilBefore.jpg
Or worse, acutally puncture it! :eek: I put the EVO oil pan skid on and that's it. :thumb:
oilAfter2.jpg

notnalc68

Are diff covers worth upgrading? Or are the stock ones decent?

If you go off-roading on stock height tires, I can almost guarantee you'll drag them, at some point. As to whether you need to change them yet, IDK. I'll leave that up to more experienced members. The Poison Spyder ones are probably some of the least expensive ones, and many members here, run them.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
That skid is sweet, I'll put that on my list as well.

Just do it before you need it so you don't have to replace the oil pan too, like me:crazyeyes:

As for the diffs, like notnalc said you will drag them some. Mine are still stock and have taken quite a beating. I don't have any good photos, but they've got some scars on the bottom lip. Just keep an eye on them so you'll know if they spring a leak. I always carry extra gear oil when wheeling.

BaddestCross

+1 for EVO oil pan and evap canister skid as well as upgraded diff covers. Did them all on my 08. The rest of the factory skids are pretty beefy. If you're at stock height, it's definitely a cheap investment for extra peace of mind. 👍

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
+1 for EVO oil pan and evap canister skid as well as upgraded diff covers. Did them all on my 08. The rest of the factory skids are pretty beefy. If you're at stock height, it's definitely a cheap investment for extra peace of mind. 👍

Wouldn't necessarily call the stock skids beefy, but functional yes leaving no reason to upgrade them..;)

Scrambler

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439544294.696339.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439544310.540373.jpg

This is what my rear diff cover looked like after a few wheeling trips. You don't necessarily have to go aftermarket. I took the advice of Eddie and ground down the overhang. It's a quick fix/preventative measure and is more budget friendly than buying after market.

jeepr13

View attachment 248464 View attachment 248465

This is what my rear diff cover looked like after a few wheeling trips. You don't necessarily have to go aftermarket. I took the advice of Eddie and ground down the overhang. It's a quick fix/preventative measure and is more budget friendly than buying after market.

Do you have a writeup or pics that show what you mean? Do you just grind down the bottom of the diff so its less likely to hangup?

jeepr13

Keep factory skids. What size of lift and tires are you thinking about?

Once I have the money I want the Evo Enforcer 3 inch lift and 35s. Gettig my master's degree right now though and paying off other student loans so it might be a while!

Scrambler

Do you have a writeup or pics that show what you mean? Do you just grind down the bottom of the diff so its less likely to hangup?

Take off your diff cover and either use table grinder or clamp it down in a vice and use some sort of angle grinder and simply grind off that lip that overhangs below the pumpkin. It is easiest to mark how much to cut off by tracing the outline of the pumpkin on the diff cover while it is still installed. If memory serves me correct, it was a little less than a quarter of an inch that I ground off. Sorry, don't have any after pics as I don't own the JK anymore.

GraniteCrystal

Take off your diff cover and either use table grinder or clamp it down in a vice and use some sort of angle grinder and simply grind off that lip that overhangs below the pumpkin. It is easiest to mark how much to cut off by tracing the outline of the pumpkin on the diff cover while it is still installed. If memory serves me correct, it was a little less than a quarter of an inch that I ground off. Sorry, don't have any after pics as I don't own the JK anymore.
Any reason to remove it?

jesse3638

Hooked
Okay... Maybe a better way to say it is the factory skids provide good coverage. At least on the '08. I heard they changed on later models.

I believe the only this changed was on 12' and up. They replaced the auto transmission skid plate with more of a skid bar to prevent debris from collecting and causing a fire due to the new exhaust configuration. The TC and gas tank skid still look the same to me.

notnalc68

I believe the only this changed was on 12' and up. They replaced the auto transmission skid plate with more of a skid bar to prevent debris from collecting and causing a fire due to the new exhaust configuration. The TC and gas tank skid still look the same to me.

This line, under the automatic transmission on a 2012+, is why you my need a skid.

IMG_8566.JPG
IMG_8566.JPG

Top Bottom