TPMS after Rotating Tires

dotnetrob

I am used to TPMS lighting up, especially after airing down for offroading, but today I did a 5 tire rotation on my jeep and the tpms has been light up ever since. TPMS is set at 29 psi with my AEV Pro Cal, and all tire pressure are 29/30 psi. Drove for around 10 miles, but the light is still on and blinks for the first few minutes the jeep is on, then turns solid, never says anything about a particular tire. Usually it resets pretty fast after offroading. Not to worried about it but wondering if there is something special I need to reset to get tpms back to normal.

GraniteCrystal

So you set your TPMS to 29, then air up your tires to 29 and complain the TPMS goes off? The measurement error of the tool you use to measure tire pressure along with the TPMS sensor could easily do this. Give yourself some buffer. Do you actually care if it drops to 28 psi?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
So you set your TPMS to 29, then air up your tires to 29 and complain the TPMS goes off? The measurement error of the tool you use to measure tire pressure along with the TPMS sensor could easily do this. Give yourself some buffer. Do you actually care if it drops to 28 psi?
This

I have my tpms set to 22psi, I usually run 28psi in the tires. I do not have any TPMS issues at all...

dotnetrob

My tpms was set months ago when I installed the new rims and tires, has worked fine since then. No warning. Today I rotated my tires and tpms is going off. Just trying to figure out why.

The actual setting on the AEV Pro cal is 29/23 PSI, so 29 is on the high value, believe it shouldn't go off unless it hits 23 if I understand there instruction correctly.

outkast7222

My tpms was set months ago when I installed the new rims and tires, has worked fine since then. No warning. Today I rotated my tires and tpms is going off. Just trying to figure out why.

The actual setting on the AEV Pro cal is 29/23 PSI, so 29 is on the high value, believe it shouldn't go off unless it hits 23 if I understand there instruction correctly.
The low number is what sets it off the high number is what shuts it off. If your tire gauge is only one psi of and you are only filling them to the high number it might never shut it off. Throw a couple psi extra into them and see if it shuts off, if it does you can drop them back down as long as you don't go below the low number.

Sent from my XT1254 using WAYALIFE mobile app

PERS JK

I just rotated my tires front/back and didn't do anything other than drive and the TPMS kept on working. No reset or anything special done. Was reading my pressure before the rotation and working afterwards.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

This. When I ran the AEV Procal the instructions specifically stated to set 5 PSI under what you run. I ran 28 PSI on my 35s and had it set at 20 just because. Never had an issue with it. I do specifically remember it stating to do this in either the instructions or the quick reference card though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

dotnetrob

Apparently I just wasn't patient enough :doh: , after about 30+ miles the light finally went off. Have put 100+ miles on it since and light hasn't come back on.

GraniteCrystal

The spare does have a different TPMS sensor in it and can throw a code if one of the normal road tires is at the spare location.

I can't imagine this to be true. No reason for it to be different, nor do I know of any way the system would know the position of each tire. Happy to be corrected by more knowledgeable sources though.

Bustedback

I can't imagine this to be true. No reason for it to be different, nor do I know of any way the system would know the position of each tire. Happy to be corrected by more knowledgeable sources though.

I did a five tire rotation on my 2012 and the TPMS light came on instantly. Sometimes the light would go off after driving 30 miles, but the come on again after restarting the engine. I have a TPMS tool at work, so I scanned all of tires and found the spare had a sensor with a serial number of FFFFF FFFFFF. All of the other wheels had normal serial numbers. I put the spare back into the spare location and took a quick spin, the light went off and stayed off after less than a mile.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I did a five tire rotation on my 2012 and the TPMS light came on instantly. Sometimes the light would go off after driving 30 miles, but the come on again after restarting the engine. I have a TPMS tool at work, so I scanned all of tires and found the spare had a sensor with a serial number of FFFFF FFFFFF. All of the other wheels had normal serial numbers. I put the spare back into the spare location and took a quick spin, the light went off and stayed off after less than a mile.

I would say you've got a dead sensor rather than a different type. I have my stock wheels and tyres as well as a set of 2013 rubicon wheels and tyres that regularly swap between without ever tripping the TPMS light for more than a short drive. I never put the wheels back on the same way and wouldn't have a clue which was the spare in either set.

I did recently swap to a set of steel wheels fitted with an eBay set of 'genuine' TPMS sensors and had both rear sensors die at exactly the same time 2 days later

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

He is correct. All the sensors work off a radio frequency and have slightly different frequency. The vehicle is able to see which ones are "communicating" with it and based off the frequency are able to tell location of the sensors.

Bustedback

I would say you've got a dead sensor rather than a different type. I have my stock wheels and tyres as well as a set of 2013 rubicon wheels and tyres that regularly swap between without ever tripping the TPMS light for more than a short drive. I never put the wheels back on the same way and wouldn't have a clue which was the spare in either set.

I did recently swap to a set of steel wheels fitted with an eBay set of 'genuine' TPMS sensors and had both rear sensors die at exactly the same time 2 days later

All sensors tested fine.

GraniteCrystal

He is correct. All the sensors work off a radio frequency and have slightly different frequency. The vehicle is able to see which ones are "communicating" with it and based off the frequency are able to tell location of the sensors.
I stand corrected. Here is a snippet from Wikipedia:
Screenshot_20170321-065845.png
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_TPMS

Apparently when this is performed by a shop, they reprogram each sensor after rotating. This allows the system to know which tire is low.

Cozdude, based on reading, still not sure it's a different frequency for each sensor. I think each is at 433MHz or whatnot. That wouldn't be adjustable by the shop. The sensor does send other information besides just pressure though, and I think they change that with each rotation.

Top Bottom