Simple yet really annoying problem

desertrunner

My spare 33" tire on the stock carrier is driving me nuts. I noticed about a month ago a squeak that sounds like one of those Styrofoam coolers rattling around back there. I first thought it was the rubber pipe fittings I used to extend the stock isolators but when I put the spare back on it still squeaks. The tire is literally not touching anything other than where it's mounted and the stock carrier is tight and in good shape as of yesterday when I took the spare off to check the noise again. Minus the obvious solution of turn the stereo up (Which the stock stereo SUCKS) anyone else have and or fix this annoying issue?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I would jump on the rear bumper or hit the tire and find out exactly where the noise is coming from.

desertrunner

When I take the spare off and drive around the noise goes away. When I have the spare on I have tried smacking it around pulling on it and I can't get it to make the noise. Feels like a stupid issue but it's driving me nuts haha

desertrunner

Only thing I can think of at this point is its the actual plastic if the stock carrier flexing and squeaking and I need to figure out how to isolate the tire better since the pipe fittings extensions didn't seem to be doing anything

WJCO

Meme King
I would double check that the carrier is tight on the tailgate and then put white lithium grease on the isolators.

desertrunner

I would double check that the carrier is tight on the tailgate and then put white lithium grease on the isolators.
It's definitely not the isolators since I took them off and it's still making the same noise. I'll give the carrier another check for tightness. If that doesn't work I may have to go with the upsidown drop hitch trick for isolating the tire

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Only thing I can think of at this point is its the actual plastic if the stock carrier flexing and squeaking and I need to figure out how to isolate the tire better since the pipe fittings extensions didn't seem to be doing anything

Carrier is magnesium not plastic. Check that the tailgate gate striker plate and ramp is tight and adjusted correctly as this can cause a squeak.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

Carrier is magnesium not plastic. Check that the tailgate gate striker plate and ramp is tight and adjusted correctly as this can cause a squeak.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Really that thing is magnesium? Humm learn something new every day.

I have tomorrow off I think this is going to be my project for the day just go through and check everything back there. The latch part is something I didn't check since when I took the spare off it went away I figured it had to do the the carrier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom