Gen right or rock hard?

Jimmypaget

Ok I need to do more research before I pull the trigger on a cage. I know quite a few of you have the rock hard sport cage and I've priced it out with install and powder coating and the best price I've found is $1726 at a local shop here in Vegas. The other option is the gen right full weld in cage. Now the GR is $2500 without powder coating and install but it's a complete cage and replaced the whole factory cage. But I don't know if I'd be able to keep my soundbar, dome lights, and hi-lift mount location. I know someone here has the GR cage installed, I'd like to take a look (it looks pretty sweet!) question is, what route would you guys take? Also sorry for being a long post!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I'm planning to go genright at some point just because it is a full, welded cage. I've seen Jeeps with that cage that still have the sound bar and whatnot. Looks like you just have to trim it to fit and figure out a mount.

GraniteCrystal

I've seen the GenRight in person. You don't keep your sound bar (unless you want to modify it I guess) so I think lots of guys mount speakers to the rear part of the cage.

The GenRight is significantly more intense and more expensive. To have a shop weld it in plus the kit could set you back $5k or more.

The RH cage is bolt in and addresses the main weak points.

If you plan on rolling this thing multiple times and want it to still be functional, I'd do GenRight. If you'd be happy to just walk away in one piece, then RH.

Those are some generalizations and I've never run either. Planning on the RH myself at some point though. Probably only a small percentage of JK owners wheel hard enough to warrant the GenRight cage.

Jimmypaget

I've seen the GenRight in person. You don't keep your sound bar (unless you want to modify it I guess) so I think lots of guys mount speakers to the rear part of the cage.

The GenRight is significantly more intense and more expensive. To have a shop weld it in plus the kit could set you back $5k or more.

The RH cage is bolt in and addresses the main weak points.

If you plan on rolling this thing multiple times and want it to still be functional, I'd do GenRight. If you'd be happy to just walk away in one piece, then RH.

Those are some generalizations and I've never run either. Planning on the RH myself at some point though. Probably only a small percentage of JK owners wheel hard enough to warrant the GenRight cage.

Like you said only a small percentage of owners wheel hard enough to warrant the GR cage. I do NOT consider myself in that percentage I just like the looks of it though! It looks awesome and stout as hell!! I do know that both products are manufactured here in the U.S as well so no quality issues there. For my uses and the future I think I'll stick with the RH sport cage. Thanks for assisting with the voice of reason!

Ok I need to do more research before I pull the trigger on a cage. I know quite a few of you have the rock hard sport cage and I've priced it out with install and powder coating and the best price I've found is $1726 at a local shop here in Vegas. The other option is the gen right full weld in cage. Now the GR is $2500 without powder coating and install but it's a complete cage and replaced the whole factory cage. But I don't know if I'd be able to keep my soundbar, dome lights, and hi-lift mount location. I know someone here has the GR cage installed, I'd like to take a look (it looks pretty sweet!) question is, what route would you guys take? Also sorry for being a long post!

First of all, thank you for considering our cage!

When it comes to a fully welded total replacement cage, we are sure they work great and we are sure people that install them are very happy with them.

More important than anything else is our cage design's real world proven track record. Jeepers on this forum specifically, not counting all the other forums, have posted their stories about a roll over with our cage. While a fully welded total cage replacement certainly will keep you just as safe, if our cage is providing the same results - at a fraction of the cost or surgery required to your Jeep - we'd call that a win for our system.

Installation differences between the two systems couldn't be more different. You aren't required to completely disassemble your interior to prep for welding with our cage. With our cage, you aren't required to cut off massive sections of your tub - like removing nearly half your b-pillar. You do not have to take a hole saw to your dash. You do not have to cut holes in your floor boards if your replacement cage goes to your frame rails.

Yes, a fully welded cage is a great option. Anything is better than factory. But please don't consider a fully welded total replacement cage as a more "hard core rig only" upgrade. Eddie has ran our cages in many of his different Wranglers for decades. If he ever felt scared to tackle a trail because he felt our cage held him back, that'd be news to us.

As you mentioned above, cost is an important factor for many Jeepers. Our cage starts at $649.95. If you are on a tight budget, paint it and install it yourself. Our installation video gives you step by step directions.

To sum up, we are proud of our cage. Our concept has worked for thousands of Jeepers for decades. When we hear someone say "I wouldn't bolt a cage in", we ask them how they feel about bolting their wheels to their axles. How they feel about bolting their seats to their floor boards. How they feel about bolting their motor to motor mounts. We then ask them the most eye opening question we have: Have you ever actually read, heard, or personally seen our cage involved in a fatality? That right there is a testament to our concept. Our cage works.

Last edited:

Jimmypaget

First of all, thank you for considering our cage!

When it comes to a fully welded total replacement cage, we are sure they work great and we are sure people that install them are very happy with them.

More important than anything else is our cage design's real world proven track record. Jeepers on this forum specifically, not counting all the other forums, have posted their stories about a roll over with our cage. While a fully welded total cage replacement certainly will keep you just as safe, if our cage is providing the same results - at a fraction of the cost or surgery required to your Jeep - we'd call that a win for our system.

Installation differences between the two systems couldn't be more different. You aren't required to completely disassemble your interior to prep for welding with our cage. With our cage, you aren't required to cut off massive sections of your tub - like removing nearly half your b-pillar. You do not have to take a hole saw to your dash. You do not have to cut holes in your floor boards if your replacement cage goes to your frame rails.

Yes, a fully welded cage is a great option. Anything is better than factory. But please don't consider a fully welded total replacement cage as a more "hard core rig only" upgrade. Eddie has ran our cages in many of his different Wranglers for decades. If he ever felt scared to tackle a trail because he felt our cage held him back, that'd be news to us.

As you mentioned above, cost is an important factor for many Jeepers. Our cage starts at $649.95. If you are on a tight budget, paint it and install it yourself. Our installation video gives you step by step directions.

To sum up, we are proud of our cage. Our concept has worked for thousands of Jeepers for decades. When we hear someone say "I wouldn't bolt a cage in", we ask them how they feel about bolting their wheels to their axles. How they feel about bolting their seats to their floor boards. How they feel about bolting their motor to motor mounts. We then ask them the most eye opening question we have: Have you ever actually read, heard, or personally seen our cage involved in a fatality? That right there is a testament to our concept. Our cage works.

I'd love to purchase the cage and parts (rear overhead bar, c-pillar supports, and a few of the pads) and install it myself however I don't have a garage space to do the work. Can I drive to your shop and borrow a work bay? [emoji38] I've already got a price for just the cage stuff for under $1,000 so that's a plus! Then I'd just need powder coating and install!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

$1726!?!??? Holy shit! Just save yourself a shit ton of money and rattle can it yourself and then install it your self. It really is a straight forward install and the video rockhard put together as a step by step instruction guild is really awesome.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I'd love to purchase the cage and parts (rear overhead bar, c-pillar supports, and a few of the pads) and install it myself however I don't have a garage space to do the work. Can I drive to your shop and borrow a work bay? [emoji38] I've already got a price for just the cage stuff for under $1,000 so that's a plus! Then I'd just need powder coating and install!

Unless you live in an apartment complex with strict rules on vehicle work I don't see why you cannot get it installed on a sunny day.

Then, as Cozdude said, you can always rattle can it saving yourself a lot of money.

The Cock Father

Fitting mt RH cage today, then painting and install in the next few days. Seems like a great option and easy enough install...

So there's my vote.

tgoss

Agreed, these bolt in cages are too easy to install unless you 1: seriously don't have the time which is understandable for a lot of people or 2: you live in a strict neighborhood where they don't allow it.

Get a buddy, grab some beers and knock it out over a weekend!

And I would vote for the rock hard cage over the genright. Genright's is a serious piece of equipment and like most here stated you should be doing some serious shit to even contemplate putting that in your Jeep.

Napalm

When I go with a cage, I will go with a RH4X4 cage. The GenRight is far too much for any daily driver in my opinion! Plus, if I am not mistaken the GR has a pretty big pillar that runs down the center of the windshield. That would annoy the heck out of my OCD.

Plus, RHs ease of install appeals to me. Good luck with your choice OP!

GraniteCrystal

When I go with a cage, I will go with a RH4X4 cage. The GenRight is far too much for any daily driver in my opinion! Plus, if I am not mistaken the GR has a pretty big pillar that runs down the center of the windshield. That would annoy the heck out of my OCD.

Plus, RHs ease of install appeals to me. Good luck with your choice OP!

You can go without that bar down the middle. Agreed that'd be really annoying.

Top Bottom