Spare 30 Spline Rear Axle Shaft - Necessity or nice to have?

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
I know it's impossible to speak in absolutes, but I'm looking for opinions or possibly experiences here.

Is it highly unlikely, unlikely, likely, or very likely to damage a rear 30 spline shaft on an open diff to the point where a JK won't be able to limp home?

Currently running 37" KM2s so technically 35s.....:crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know it's impossible to speak in absolutes, but I'm looking for opinions or possibly experiences here.

Is it highly unlikely, unlikely, likely, or very likely to damage a rear 30 spline shaft on an open diff to the point where a JK won't be able to limp home?

Currently running 37" KM2s so technically 35s.....:crazyeyes:

Technically, what you have are NOT 35's at as ALL advertised 37's have an actual measurement about 35".

That being said, it all depends on how you wheel your Jeep. Among the people I wheel with, it'd be unlikely that someone will break a shaft because we don't encourage them to engage in the kind of wheeling that would break a rear shaft.

jorgelrod

Hooked
I guess like Eddie said, it depends on how you wheel, with that said, I plan to ship my jeep stateside one of these days and drive to Moab. On a trip so far away from home, I'd think that might be one of those things I'd throw in the jeep just in case.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I guess like Eddie said, it depends on how you wheel, with that said, I plan to ship my jeep stateside one of these days and drive to Moab. On a trip so far away from home, I'd think that might be one of those things I'd throw in the jeep just in case.

Nice thing about wheeling in a place like Moab is that they have a great Off-Road shop with tons of parts in stock. If you were to break, it's not to difficult to get replacement parts. Of course, you'd need to be able to get back to town so there's that :crazyeyes:

benatc1

Hooked
I replaced my stock shafts due to bent flanges and now keep my stockers as a spare, while ideally I'll never need them they are nice to have just in case- however I would not have gone out and picked up a spare set. Worth while to have if you have them but unlikely you'll have an issue in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wert7676

The jk has a semi float rear. This means the axles shafts have pressed on bearings and retainers. So to carry spares you need shafts with bearings and races. If breakage occurs you could get off the trail to a trailer if you remove the broken shaft. You aren't going to drive home. I've never broken a shaft but from what I've read the rear axle failures are usually bent flanges. This is just a wobble and you can get home just at lower speeds. I got an extra set of axles but no bearings. So they won't help me on the trail. Probably should buy some bearings.

Top Bottom