30k mile service suggestions

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
My jeep is coming up on 30k miles and I just looked at the owners manual which recommends the following:

• inspect transfer case fluid
  • replace engine air cleaner filter
  • replace air conditioning/cabin air filter
  • change the Manual Transmission fluid

I'm curious to know whether you guys recommend changing the transfer case fluid, and of should I bite the bullet for mopar ATF+4 or is any auto parts ATF+4 fluid sufficent? Are any special tools necessary? I will review the transfer case writeup, but haven't recently.

What is everyone's opinion on something like a K&n washable drop in air filter? Or should I just stick with the standard paper filter?

I have never changed a cabin air filter beforw, is there anything I need to know about that? Does anyone know the part number or which filter to get?

As for the MT fluid, I have basically the same question as the transfer case... is MOPAR fluid worth the extra coin? Any special tools needed for the 6-speed? Any thing else I need to know or just simply drain and fill?

Is there anything else recommened that I pay attention to for the 30k service? I know my brake pads are getting thin, but I already have a few goodies on order from dynatrac... [emoji6]

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
IMO, do it all yourself. For tcase, any ATF-4 is OK. For manual transmission, I would recommend sticking with Mopar(drain and fill). Keep the OEM air filter. Cabin filter, use whatever, I think you have to pull the glove box to see what filter it is, sometimes they are missing originally, and you have to "add" them.. All of this is DIY stuff, IMO. Just guessing that the dealer price would be about 500. Again, just my opinions.

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
Yeah, for sure stick with the stock paper filters. I had the k&n filter on my previous vehicle and when i would play in the sand/dirt. I would see some sand that passed through.

As WJCO said, theres 2 little filters for the cabin filters that are behind the glove box. Super easy to change and if your barely changing them now. Chances are you might not have had any from the get go. Or they are going to be REALLY filthy.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
My jeep is coming up on 30k miles and I just looked at the owners manual which recommends the following:

[*]Inspect transfer case fluid
[*]Replace engine air cleaner filter
[*]replace air conditioning/cabin air filter
[*]Change the Manual Transmission fluid

I'm curious to know whether you guys recommemd changing the transfer case fluid, and of should I bite the bullet for mopar ATF+4 or is any auto parts ATF+4 fluid sufficent? Are any special tools necessary? I will review the transfer case writeup, but haven't recently.

What is everyone's opinion on something like a K&n washable drop in air filter? Or should I just stick with the standard paper filter?

I have never changed a cabin air filter beforw, is there anything I need to know about that? Does anyone know the part number or which filter to get?

As for the MT fluid, I have basically the same question as the transfer case... is MOPAR fluid worth the extra coin? Any special tools needed for the 6-speed? Any thing else I need to know or just simply drain and fill?

Is there anything else recommened that I pay attention to for the 30k service? I know my brake pads are getting thin, but I already have progrips on order along with a few other "goodies" from dynatrac... [emoji6]

what others have mentioned and keep an eye on those brake pads, especially if it's the passenger rear.

mine went from wearing thin to the inner pad falling off the metal back plate just shortly after inspecting them. the other pads were about 1/2 thickness compared to new.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
IMO, do it all yourself. For tcase, any ATF-4 is OK. For manual transmission, I would recommend sticking with Mopar(drain and fill). Keep the OEM air filter. Cabin filter, use whatever, I think you have to pull the glove box to see what filter it is, sometimes they are missing originally, and you have to "add" them.. All of this is DIY stuff, IMO. Just guessing that the dealer price would be about 500. Again, just my opinions.

What the hell do you mean "this is DIY stuff, IMO" or talking about "dealer price"?!? :thinking: Did you forget who your talking too?? Re-gears and Long arms are DIY in my book :cheesy:
No one lifts up her skirt unless its me, trusted friends, or the dealer doing it for free! :yup:
I'll get to shopping mopar MT fluid. its looking to be about $20/qt online. :icon_crazy:

Yeah, for sure stick with the stock paper filters. I had the k&n filter on my previous vehicle and when i would play in the sand/dirt. I would see some sand that passed through.

As WJCO said, theres 2 little filters for the cabin filters that are behind the glove box. Super easy to change and if your barely changing them now. Chances are you might not have had any from the get go. Or they are going to be REALLY filthy.

I'll take a peak behind the Glovebox after work today and see whats up! Thanks Nick! :thumb:
Glad to see an honest review on the K&N drop in. I've changed my intake filter twice already and its still filthy. that is why I was inquiring about a washable/reusable filter. Damned Texas Dust everywhere :doh:

what others have mentioned and keep an eye on those brake pads, especially if it's the passenger rear.

mine went from wearing thin to the inner pad falling off the metal back plate just shortly after inspecting them. the other pads were about 1/2 thickness compared to new.

:dont_tell: dont jinks me! these pads HAVE TO last until Dynatrac ships my order AND I have time to install! they needed 4-6 weeks for some reason... ;)

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
What the hell do you mean "this is DIY stuff, IMO" or talking about "dealer price"?!? :thinking: Did you forget who your talking too?? Long arms are DIY in my book :cheesy: No one touches my jeeps intimate areas unless its me, trusted friends, or the dealer doing it for free! :yup:

Lol. I was just giving you a ballpark of what you would save by doing it yourself. Well worth doing it yourself and isn't difficult, IMO.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Lol. I was just giving you a ballpark of what you would save by doing it yourself. Well worth doing it yourself and isn't difficult, IMO.

I know it seems like pretty basic stuff, but this jeep is the first vehicle I ever bought brand new. So I don't want to cut any corners if I can help it. Everything else I've ever owned was maintained under the mentality of "It doesnt matter what brand, the fact that I'm actually changing it is probably already better than what the PO did" But like I said, this one was new :blush:

RioGrandeJK

Not sure if someone said it but check to see if you even have a cabin air filter. Only ones to come with it are wranglers with auto climate control.

The service is easy do it yourself.

Packers937

I'm at 28k so I was looking at this the other day as well. Is it recommended to actually change the transfer case fluid? Or just take a look and make sure it's okay?

Sent from my SM-G930P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
I'll take a peak behind the Glovebox after work today and see whats up! Thanks Nick! :thumb:
Glad to see an honest review on the K&N drop in. I've changed my intake filter twice already and its still filthy. that is why I was inquiring about a washable/reusable filter. Damned Texas Dust everywhere :doh:

No problem! Just keep in mind, idk if its with the 12+ models. But every time i go to change the Cab Filters. This damn little vent/cover type of thing opens and closes by itself that holds the filters behind it. And the only way i can get it to open is by turning on the recirculate button. Its a pita when it keep closing on you, and i have to hold it open for it to stay open.

And yeah, i loved the idea of the reusable filter for the fact that they cause less waste with not having to keep replacing filters. But the K&Ns just dont catch the smaller particles or even heavy dirt sand as well as the paper filters for the things that we do with our Jeeps. I guess if we had pavement princess it would be perfectly fine :crazyeyes:

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Just changed my Tcase and Tranny fluid over the weekend. Pretty easy but you need to take off the tcase skid and make a 17mm tool to take out the transmission drain plug. I bought a 17mm socket bit and cut it off with an angle grinder diamond blade. You'll also need a pump to refill the fluids because you can't fit a funnel under there. Check out my build thread to see a pic of the 17mm socket bit and pump, if you're curious. Good luck!

Last edited:

sjd78

Just changed my Tcase and Tranny fluid over the weekend. Pretty easy but you need to take off the tcase skid and make a 17mm tool to take out the transmission drain plug. I bought a 17mm socket bit and cut it off with an angle grinder diamond blade. You'll also need a pump to refill the fluids because you can't fit a funnel under there. Check out my build thread to see a pic of the 17mm socket bit and pump, if you're curious. Good luck!

I checked you build thread and seen the pic of the pump but not the socket bit.

Ddays

Hooked
Holy Hell, I can't believe no one remembered to tell you to make sure you change your steering attenuator fluid yet. :crazyeyes:

Glad I could be of service! :thumb:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Holy Hell, I can't believe no one remembered to tell you to make sure you change your steering attenuator fluid yet. :crazyeyes:

Glad I could be of service! :thumb:
Shoot, I forgot about that! I'll pick some up afterwork. I gotta stop for blinker fluid and muffler bearing grease anyway. Thanks for the reminder!

Top Bottom