New to the site

Ixion

Hey gang.

I'm a 40 something guy out of the state of MD. I work in IT and have for 21 years. I think I went a little long on my intro but I'm excited to be here. Sorry. :)

I got started on my Jeep quest in 1996. I was less drunk of the two of us so my friend let me drive us home. Along the way, we passed another Wrangler driver who did wave at me. I figured, I don't know that dude so I kept driving. Out of nowhere, my friend asks if that guy that passed us wave? I said yeah, did you know him? He asked if I waved back and I told him no as I didn't know that guy. Long story short, he went nuclear and had me pull over and then tirades the remaining distance to his house about Jeep etiquette. It caught my interest but I thought he was overreacting so I went on with life.

My friend frequently went to London for work, so I'd alternate driving his Jeep and my truck. He had a soft top and it was in January so I froze most of the time. But, when I passed folks in the Jeep I waved and they'd all wave back. I'd be stuck at the gas station trying to figure out how to put gas in the Jeep. I forgot about the tank being behind the license plate so I'm standing at the pump looking bewildered. A random guy comes over and starts up a conversation and then asks if I'm done with filling up. I half halfheartedly laughed and commented I have no idea how to even find the gas cap. He asks, "Stolen or borrowed?" Borrowed and showed him the keys. He gets a laugh and shows me to my embarrassment where the gas cap was. After everything was said an done, he asked me if I wanted to hang out with some other Jeep "borrowers". He hopped in "my" Jeep and I followed his buddies in theirs out to a bonfire and a GREAT time was had. They would track me down a couple more times that year to hang out and I started to get the feeling that this Jeep life is something I wanted.

Lots of stories between then and now. I became the proud owner of a 2010 Wrangler Sport last year. I'm not sure how I pulled it off as I'd just gotten my now ex-husband a new car the month before and my Xterra gave up the ghost 5 weeks later. Almost no value for my trade in due to work needed, a lien against the Xterra for a loan I'd done before to do repairs and nothing for a down payment. My car salesman got me into this Jeep with $0 money out of pocket, rolled the lien amount into the loan and got an extra $750 on my trade in. The universe agreed, it was time for me to own a Jeep.

My Jeep is named Bruticus. 2 weeks after I bought him, someone hit me in the parking lot. I was sitting in a parking lot checking funds to go buy stuff in Target when my Jeep felt like it got hit by a train. I look over and a Honda Accord was pulling in on my left. I get out, look at the front end of her car, let many choice 4 letter words fly and then look to see what she'd done to my Jeep. So, I looked and looked, but I couldn't find any damage at all. I looked at her, what the heck did you hit? She hit my rims which were steel and her bumper is fiberglass. I told my friend what happened and he commented that Jeeps are brutes. Then he asks if I figured out a name yet. Told him no. I started moving clothes around and found my "Behold Farticus" t-shirt (don't judge me lol) and we started adding "icus" to random words. My friend gestured at my Jeep and commented, "Behold Bruticus". And that was it.

rausch trip 7-25-16.jpg IMG_20170302_191637 1.jpg

Top Bottom