EVO Rockstar Skids

J

JKDream

I ordered up a set of these - and am also looking into buying new rear shocks.
I'm currently at about 3.25 inches of actual lift height.
I am wondering - what extended/collapsed length do most of you run with these skids?
I was originally looking at the 4-6 (28") extended Fox's - but think I might be better off with the ~25" extended.
Don't really want my rear springs to come unseated/lose usable uptravel.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I ordered up a set of these - and am also looking into buying new rear shocks.
I'm currently at about 3.25 inches of actual lift height.
I am wondering - what extended/collapsed length do most of you run with these skids?
I was originally looking at the 4-6 (28") extended Fox's - but think I might be better off with the ~25" extended.
Don't really want my rear springs to come unseated/lose usable uptravel.

I have both the short and longer fox shocks. When I went to 3" evo plush ride springs and did some measuring, I figured out I can get away with the longer ones. The springs are far from unseating even with the 28" shocks at full droop. I had to get brake line lowering brackets to get enough droop. The shocks are close to bottoming out at full bump as far as I can tell with a tape measure. The longer shocks give you over an inch of extra total travel. After the springs were in, I measured for the length of the sway bar links to keep the bar level, and ordered the evo links too. You can see on the right I'm running a 1/2" spacer to help level the jeep (it's still passenger side low).

33211277490_5a4fc9a5af_c.jpg

33465492121_3543a72436_c.jpg

Last edited:

chipper

I'm running the rancho rs999330 with my rockstars on a 3" lift
Compressed 16.110
Extended 26.010
Works out perfectly. Springs are good. And shocks are not bottoming out.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
I forgot the rockstars are shorter than stock, so you'd want the shorter fox shocks. I'm not running rockstars.

J

JKDream

I have both the short and longer fox shocks. When I went to 3" evo plush ride springs and did some measuring, I figured out I can get away with the longer ones. The springs are far from unseating even with the 28" shocks at full droop. I had to get brake line lowering brackets to get enough droop. The shocks are close to bottoming out at full bump as far as I can tell with a tape measure. The longer shocks give you over an inch of extra total travel. After the springs were in, I measured for the length of the sway bar links to keep the bar level, and ordered the evo links too. You can see on the right I'm running a 1/2" spacer to help level the jeep (it's still passenger side low).

33211277490_5a4fc9a5af_c.jpg

33465492121_3543a72436_c.jpg

Interesting, I'm actually quite surprised.
I have seen quite a few photos of people running the rockstars and having 1.5" of shock shaft showing with those shocks.
Did you net more than 3.5 inches with the EVO springs?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I'm running the rockstars with 4" bumps in the rear on a 16.96 collapsed shock and judging from visual inspection after wheeling, i'm using damn near all of it, if not a TAD more... :eek: I need to take a closer look at things in the rear before the next time I head out on the trail. When I was installing my rockstars, I had 3" bumps in the rear, so when I cycled the suspension I KNEW it wasnt enough bump, but the jeep is my daily, so I finished buttoning her up anyway and ordered some 4" bumps. when i got them, I bolted them on the jeep, but was to lazy to cycle it to verify...

My best advice would be install the rockstars when you have some time between wheeling trips, while installing them, pull the springs out, and once the rockstars are on, mount the shocks back up and cycle the suspension. It will be MUCH easier without the springs and you will be able to make sure you have enough bump, etc. I plan on pulling the rear springs when I check mine again.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I'm running the rancho rs999330 with my rockstars on a 3" lift
Compressed 16.110
Extended 26.010
Works out perfectly. Springs are good. And shocks are not bottoming out.

Nice, Can I assume your running Evos 3" bumps? that helps set my mind a ease a bit on my shock if your setup is working perfectly for you, based on the numbers alone I should be fine with my setup. (4" bumps and 16.96 compresses)

How much bump stop do you have? I was looking at those shocks too.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

the 3" enforcer kit comes with 3" bumps in the rear. :thumb: *Assuming hes running those :idontknow:

J

JKDream

I'm running the rockstars with 4" bumps in the rear on a 16.96 collapsed shock and judging from visual inspection after wheeling, i'm using damn near all of it, if not a TAD more... :eek: I need to take a closer look at things in the rear before the next time I head out on the trail. When I was installing my rockstars, I had 3" bumps in the rear, so when I cycled the suspension I KNEW it wasnt enough bump, but the jeep is my daily, so I finished buttoning her up anyway and ordered some 4" bumps. when i got them, I bolted them on the jeep, but was to lazy to cycle it to verify...

My best advice would be install the rockstars when you have some time between wheeling trips, while installing them, pull the springs out, and once the rockstars are on, mount the shocks back up and cycle the suspension. It will be MUCH easier without the springs and you will be able to make sure you have enough bump, etc. I plan on pulling the rear springs when I check mine again.

Agreed - the only dilemma is I have not ordered the shocks yet. Worried if I order the 4-6" fox's I'd be running way too much bump.
Ideally I'd like to maximize down travel as we have a lot of rocks out here - but I don't necessarily want to be riding on bumpstops.

chipper

How did you test your suspension setup or figure out the length?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I tested things at work with a forklift, still had 1 3/4" of shock shaft showing when on the bumpstop. You need 1 1/2" for it to work.
If you already have your lift and shocks installed take a look at your rear shocks and measure how much clean shock shaft you have, if it's over 1 1/2" you'll be good.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I tested things at work with a forklift, still had 1 3/4" of shock shaft showing when on the bumpstop. You need 1 1/2" for it to work.
If you already have your lift and shocks installed take a look at your rear shocks and measure how much DIRTY shock shaft you have, if it's over 1 1/2" you'll be good.

Fixed if for ya! :thumb:

Top Bottom