Let's talk roof racks.

sjd78

So I'm thinking about getting a roof rack to hold some of my camping gear on extended camping trips. I'm not crazy about the idea of drilling into my hard top but would if I must. I've looked at some online and I don't really think I need anything as elaborate as the LOD unit nor do I want to spend a fortune on one either. Any suggestions and or photos of what you run?

Thanks!

GraniteCrystal

I ran Gobi. Awesome rack. Not the quietest and had to hunt down a few rattles. Also kills your clearance if you're running larger tires. Looks awesome IMO and can hold an 800lb static load.

IMG_20160821_172243.jpg

If I got another, I'd look into a Rhino rack. Much lower profile, holds same amount of weight if I'm not mistaken. Only bummer is that it's attached to roof.

JRUnlimited

I'm running warrior products' renegade roof rack. It uses an exoskeleton that bolts on to the jeep and can be removed quite easily. Though I replaced the rear mount arms with a system that clamps the rear portion of the roof rack with the hard top. It's still easily removed, it's just a cleaner look for me. Really solid roof rack that I use on camping trips as well as trips to Home Depot.

20170209_063934.jpg

BaddestCross

Congo Pro rack system. I liked it over the others because it's made out of 2" tubing instead of 1.5". I think it fits the look of a Jeep better. I attached an off-brand basket to it because I didn't want to spend a fortune on one plus I wanted one that only covered the back of the roof on my 2 door and most baskets cover the whole roof. KMS makes a lot of different platforms and accessories, so you can pretty much build what you want once the base system is on.

IMG_1489542201529.jpg

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

black pearl

Hooked
I ran Gobi. Awesome rack. Not the quietest and had to hunt down a few rattles. Also kills your clearance if you're running larger tires. Looks awesome IMO and can hold an 800lb static load.

View attachment 249693

If I got another, I'd look into a Rhino rack. Much lower profile, holds same amount of weight if I'm not mistaken. Only bummer is that it's attached to roof.

How hard is it to pull the top with that rack?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bigtuna

I have had my Gobi Stealth for about a year and a half.
Pretty much bolt on no holes in the hard top. I took off the ladder as it interfered with tilting it back with the bumper and tire carrier I am using.
It works well but expect some wind noise even with the deflector they provide.
It is a bit pricey and took a long time to get but the quality is very good. I bought mine direct as at the time nobody sold them in California. Maybe they have more distributors now.

GraniteCrystal

How hard is it to pull the top with that rack?

Not bad at all. 4 bolts at the front and the whole thing pivots backward. It does make it awkward to remove the top at that point though because (a) you can't fit in your garage with rack rotated back so hoist is no good and (b) you can't walk the top rearward. You end up sliding it off one side. Still not bad, but not as easy.

IMG_20160812_174453.jpg

IMG_20160812_174506.jpg

IMG_20160812_182918.jpg

black pearl

Hooked
Not bad at all. 4 bolts at the front and the whole thing pivots backward. It does make it awkward to remove the top at that point though because (a) you can't fit in your garage with rack rotated back so hoist is no good and (b) you can't walk the top rearward. You end up sliding it off one side. Still not bad, but not as easy.

View attachment 249712

View attachment 249713

View attachment 249714

That's what's holding me back on getting one I use a A frame with a hoist to lift my top as I don't normally have help getting it on and off

aermotor

When I was originally looking, there was little useful info about roof racks out there as far as a simple setup goes. I found out that the Garvin roof racks come in all sorts of universal sizes (but they don't 'officially' list them as fitting a Jeep) and after some research and measuring I found something that was good and workable.

I got their 4x5 Off Road Series Track Rack. Simply mount the two tracks/rails to your hardtop, assemble the basket and throw it on there. It's got a great, durable finish and holds a crap load of weight. Garvin also has a ton of accessories for their racks as well which is nice.

I got mine from 4WD, except I found a cheaper place online and made them price match it. I think I got it for $627 delivered to my door.

Garvin Industries - 61330

garvin1.jpg

garvin3.jpg

garvin4.jpg

garvin2.jpg

black pearl

Hooked
When I was originally looking, there was little useful info about roof racks out there as far as a simple setup goes. I found out that the Garvin roof racks come in all sorts of universal sizes (but they don't 'officially' list them as fitting a Jeep) and after some research and measuring I found something that was good and workable.

I got their 4x5 Off Road Series Track Rack. Simply mount the two tracks/rails to your hardtop, assemble the basket and throw it on there. It's got a great, durable finish and holds a crap load of weight. Garvin also has a ton of accessories for their racks as well which is nice.

I got mine from 4WD, except I found a cheaper place online and made them price match it. I think I got it for $627 delivered to my door.

Garvin Industries - 61330

garvin1.jpg

garvin3.jpg

garvin4.jpg

garvin2.jpg

With that one could you Secure it to the roll bars if running no top?

black pearl

Hooked
I don't think so, no, unless you fabbed something up. You could not use the tracks that get put onto the hard top and would have to devise some other method to attach it to the rollbars.

I'll have to look into this one more as I'm no stranger to fabrication but still want ease of pulling the top with my hoist ... thank you

Bigtuna

I have quick release for the mounts on the Stealth. I have a hoist in my business shop so the roof is just high enough to pivot back myself and rest on a welding cart I made.
Then hoist the top and leave it there. So it can be done alone but isn't all that easy if you don't have the height clearance in your garage or shop.

ZeMax

I'm running the 4x4armor aka smittybilt aka barricade roof rack on my 4 door.

The good: solid, quiet and you can lower/raise the soft top with ease with the transversal bars removed.

The bad: You have to modify (drill a 2 inch hole and then some more cutting underneat) your stock rear bumper to attach it to the frame. No way would I drill my jeep's body panel for the alternative installation. It does also limit which rear after market bumper will fit bolt-on.

Takes time to settle, took a few days of re-tightening to get all the squeaks out. The coating SUCKS. I can already see rust seeping through some little cracks after one salty-canadian winter. I sprayed rust proofing on the inside of the tubing, hope that help.

Removing/installing the hardtop is now a 4 man job. You have to slide it back and you do not have a lot of clearance.

You definitely get what you pay for and I was ready to assume the consequences. I expected to have to strip it down and re-coat it in a few years... might have to change that to a year.

benatc1

Hooked
I had a gobi on my 2 door, really liked it but was noisy and killed my mpg, very well built and easy install, would be worth the extra coin if that's the direction you wanted to go

Top Bottom