Gear and axle upgrade or lift

cocokrispes

So I just picked up last week a JKU sport last week. I know I have to get new gears because the 321 won't cut it. Only was looking at various lifts etc but then a thought crossed my mind. Is it better to upgrade the front d30 before I lift and gear? Just trying to think which would be more effective and cost efficient. I was thinking of a d44 for the front not a d60.Any input would help.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'd eventually like to run a 37 but most likely a 35. It will be a weekend jeep with light off road for now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Well, if you stick with 35's, you can make your 30 work for a long time especially if you just do light off roading. If you think you'll bump up to 37's someday and start playing harder, yeah, it'd save you in the long run to upgrade your front axle to something like a ProRock 44.

Napalm

I agree with what Eddie said. Run 35s on your 30 and save for a PR44 when you go 37s. I've ran 35s on my 30 twice now with no issues. I would recommend some C gussets though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

gmb425

I took the advice of many senior members on WAYALIFE and just had my C gussets welding on. I run a 35 inch tire on a Dana 30 with 3.73 gears. Probably saved $1000 by not paying someone to truss and/or sleeve my axle. That should free up some money for a lift! IMG_0591.jpg

desertrunner

Just had this exact same thing when I picked up my 12 2 door, had the money to upgrade the axles or get lift tires bumper and winch but not both. To me it seemed stupid the have nice axles and big gears and road tires at stock height and not be using it as a jeep. So I went with 33s a set of 4dr Springs sprung for a warn power plant and a rubi transfer case which makes the 3.21s tolerable off road. And it is a fantastic little set up plenty capable and now I can use it off road like a jeep should be used while I save up to make the 37s happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Would do 33's with a 3" lift. Would be decent with the gears and can still have fun while you save for axles. Wouldn't spend money on regearing (from experience). Save the 1500-2k for either rubi axles or aftermarket axles.

desertrunner

Would do 33's with a 3" lift. Would be decent with the gears and can still have fun while you save for axles. Wouldn't spend money on regearing (from experience). Save the 1500-2k for either rubi axles or aftermarket axles.

I was in the same boat starting to look at gears and lockers. I don't wanna waste money on a D30 I plan to replace before 37s so I came to the conclusion that I'm just going to run what I have until I can spring for a PR44 front and set up my rear with a locker and gears to match. Just spend the money once instead of 2-3G on gears and lockers for my current set up then going and dropping more to replace my front axle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom