Evap Line repair

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So as some of you know, the other day I broke one of the evap lines that comes off the gas tank which runs up to the filler neck when reinstalling my tank. Unfortunately this piece is not replaceable UNLESS you get a whole new tank. Well at $700 from the dealer I was not going to buy a new one. So today I decided to tackle it.

I was going to follow this install video below but decided to try something different.
https://youtu.be/ChFdbBuM_VQ

What you will need:
1/8 x 1/8" hose barb
Jb weld
Patience

So this is what it looked liked when it was broken
IMG_7521.jpg
As you can see the nipple sheered off the plastic

So I ran out to the store this morning in search of parts like in the video. I came to find out the the inner diameter of the nipple was very close to 1/8 in size. So I bought a 1/8 barbed nipple.
IMG_7523.jpg

I then mixed up some jb weld
IMG_7524.jpg
Image1490457569.149977.jpg

And applied some to the end of the barb. (Sorry no pics as I didn't think about it)

I installed the new barbed end into the broken piece in my hand. Then applied some more jb weld onto the other end making sure not to plug the hole.

I then installed it
Image1490457687.886233.jpg

There was a lot left over that it smushed out and I was able to apply some around the outside to help seal it a little more.

At this point DO NOT reattach the line to the filler neck! You must let the jb weld cure. I would suggest that you don't drive your vehicle either for a period of time. Once dry after 12 hours or so you can apply more weld to the outside if you choose and reconnect the line.

And that's it For about $10 and some time!! I hope this helps for if this happens to someone else in the near future

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Glad to hear you were able to get this fixed and for a lot less than $700! Nice job and thanks for posting up a write-up here for others to see. :thumb:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Glad to hear you were able to get this fixed and for a lot less than $700! Nice job and thanks for posting up a write-up here for others to see. :thumb:
Yea I'm super happy with it! Figure only $10 and your all fixed! How can you beat that!?

Also your welcome! Glad to share my repair with everyone here
Great fix! Thanks for sharing it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Good save man!

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator
Thanks guys!

Tumbleweed

Glad you got it fixed. Can't believe that you have to buy an entire new tank. That's Bull Sh!t.

Anyway, is there anything you can do to protect it, keep it from happening again?

Good job with the repair.

jkris

Had the same thing happen to me. Since mine is a 2010, I would have had to get a new tank. Epoxy is holding up so far no problems after about a year.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Just an update. Everything is holding great! Added a little extra jb weld before I went wheeling last week
Image1491675056.715552.jpg

Little messy but doesn't need to be pretty, just hold

HoosierWolf

My jeep just threw a P0456 code yesterday. Still trying to track it down. I didn't check the gas tank. I may need the help of this write up. Thanks for the info! 700 bucks is criminal.

Top Bottom