Tow Hitch options

cforgerson

Poison Spyder currently has their BFH rear bumpers on clearance and I'm thinking about getting one. The only thing holding me back is that I would like to have a tow hitch. I don't usually tow things but I'm planning on getting a boat in the next few years and it will be needed then. Does anyone have this bumper or something similar and has put on a hitch? Any feedback helps. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I dont know of any aftermarket bumpers that are rated to tow. Most have a hitch, but will tell you its not rated. I would just go with a factory hitch adapter and pick a bumper that works with it, or just run bumperless or some kind of fascia style :thumb:

I dont know of any aftermarket bumpers that are rated to tow. Most have a hitch, but will tell you its not rated. I would just go with a factory hitch adapter and pick a bumper that works with it, or just run bumperless or some kind of fascia style :thumb:

Our bumper receivers are tow rated to your Jeep factory specs. :thumb:

Jackal01

Poison Spyder currently has their BFH rear bumpers on clearance and I'm thinking about getting one. The only thing holding me back is that I would like to have a tow hitch. I don't usually tow things but I'm planning on getting a boat in the next few years and it will be needed then. Does anyone have this bumper or something similar and has put on a hitch? Any feedback helps. Thanks!

I had this bumper. It requires some cutting of the factory crossmember. I sold it to get the Crawler Conceptz version which uses the same bolt holes and also has a hitch but requires total removal of the crossmember. If I had to do it all over again I would have got EVO fascia as to retain the OEM hitch however the rear clearance is great. Live and learn the hard way for me. I don't tow now but I will be in the future when I get a RTT trailer. CC unofficially stated they don't think towing a small trailer will be an issue however again...that was unofficial.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I think the factory hitch is the way to go. I wouldn't tow with anything that requires cutting out the rear cross member.

I just sold my ACE rear bumper/carrier that was tow rated. But the hitch was in-line with the cross member, so it stuck out 7.5" further out than the factory hitch (and 10.5" inches from the cross member, but higher). I also wanted 100 pounds off the back of the jeep. Now i'm running an EVO hinged tire carrier and I'm stuck between the EVO fascia and d-rings, or the genright aluminum bumper which is only 19 pounds, yet keeps the hitch and only sticks out 4". It's a pricey sucker though. Currently I'm running bumper less with a quadratec hitch because i was stupid and threw away my OEM one.

I was also looking at the JCR Mauler stubby rear bumper, it's fairly light and keeps the hitch too, I think it was 45 pounds. I can't find any good pictures of people running it through. It's also half the price of the gen right.

33472474892_3a11c5b60e_h.jpg

http://genright.com/products/jeep-jk-rear-bumper-w-tow-points-aluminum.html
View attachment 250486

https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/JKRM.html
View attachment 250485

Last edited:

cforgerson

Thanks for all of the feedback. I've been fighting between the EVO Fascia and this bumper but I think I'm going to go for the fascia... at least for now haha. I'll definitely look at Rock Hard's line up before making any purchases tho!

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Yes, our steel rear bumper (tire carrier and non-tire carrier) include as standard a 7-pin cut out, 4 pin adapter plate, or block off plate.

Looks like site needs a verbiage update.

Nice! That puts you at the top of this list, when I get a rear bumper. That's a very nice looking setup.

Top Bottom