How long did your stock shocks last?

Like the title says, how long did they last? I have a '15 JKU Sport that is 18 months old with 16.5k miles and a fair amount off road on mostly fire roads and some sand and rocks. No mods and the 17" rims with the Goodyear Wranglers.
Last month I noticed that my left rear shock body was wet with oil and when I checked on it this morning it appears that the right rear is now leaking with the left one now creaking a little.
I was hoping that they would have lasted longer than that and was wondering what others experiences are with the stock shocks?

Thanks, Steve.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
My right rear leaked and was replaced under warranty at about 6 weeks and 3000 km. After that never had a problem before I put my lift on 6 months later

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Worst Driver

My rear shock cracked when I was rear ended. Picked up a set of Rubi take offs and never looked back.

To me, it's a bitter sweet situation when something fails. Just means it's time to upgrade to something better!

Sent from my iPhone

On my first JKU....just over 100,000KMs. The fronts were toast, rears seem ok. I let them go too long, should have been replaced sooner, but I waited to upgrade to a coil lift.

My second JK didn't wait very long at all.....

Sent from my SM-T560NU using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dealer said.............

So, I called the dealer and they said that is normal for their shocks to weep oil, which isn't covered under warranty. Customer sees Niagara falls and service rep sees a very slight surface dampening.
Time to follow suite and get that lift!

So, I called the dealer and they said that is normal for their shocks to weep oil, which isn't covered under warranty. Customer sees Niagara falls and service rep sees a very slight surface dampening.
Normal to weep oil....? Right....

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug

That's total bullshit. Shocks should never leak oil more than a tiny bit around the seal. Find another dealer

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Mine have lasted about 15K miles. Pretty sure I've got a blown shock in the rear now. Going to be pulling them this weekend to check them out.
The stock shocks have always been replaced after lifting on all my other rigs. I guess maybe it's a sign to put a proper lift on this one? Lol

JOHN73738

On my '16 Rubicon, 2500 miles until I put on my Rubicon Express lift kit, and my '01 TJ 127,000 miles before I changed them and the springs.

aredub

I had a front shock start leaking with less than 1k miles on my rubi. I said eff it and just did a small lift and new shocks rather than warranty it.

Sent from my iPad

Who makes the stock shocks?

Does anybody know who is the manufacturer of the shocks on my JKU? I haven't had the time or inclination to climb underneath to see if there is any markings to say who it might be. If I find out it would be interesting to see what they have to say about shock seal leakage.

WJCO

Meme King
Does anybody know who is the manufacturer of the shocks on my JKU? I haven't had the time or inclination to climb underneath to see if there is any markings to say who it might be. If I find out it would be interesting to see what they have to say about shock seal leakage.

Mopar........

RioGrandeJK

I'm at 46k on my 2014 and I think they are starting to go. Highway/pavement travel during the week and washboard dirt roads, mountain passes, and firewood duty on weekends. I've been getting a lot of body sway and prolonged "bouncing" after going over bumps the last 3k miles. Got a new set of Bilstein HDs ready to go on this weekend.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I didn't read all the posts before I write this sooooo

This is such an open ended question it isn't even funny. There really is no set time frame for when they will go bad or not. Just as an example, I had a friend but brand new bilstein shocks on his jk and a month later two are blown and he never took it off road. A few years later now the original two front shocks are good still and the replacement rears are fine. Same thing goes for struts on cars. You never know how long they will last. They can outlast the car or blow out the second you drive it off the lot.

Long story short your gonna see tons of different answers to this

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug

Yes, getting the lift with new shocks is best answer all around. It makes a build thread better to read plus you become like, 47% cooler. That's a scientific fact!

Top Bottom