42rle blowed up

cayers71

Greetings,

My 11 JKU suffered its first mechanical breakdown last week - trans fluid everywhere, left us to call AAA. Looks like the TC got hot and burned up the input shaft seal, and subsequently all of the fluid leaked out. I don't think the friction plates within the gearbox were damaged - pan had very little material in it.

Running 35s, 4.88s, no trans cooler. Fluid temps usually between 150-170

I might be able to replace the TC and oil pump and get it working again, but thats about a $700 gamble that could go down a rabbit hole if there is damage elsewhere in the internals. Alternatively I can purchase the ATS version of the 42RLE and a new TC for about $2300, and have a more stout slushbox as a result.

SO - this leads me to a question that has been asked before and which I have not been able to find a single positive statement about - has anyone purchased the ATS version of the 42RLE, and if so, what has been your experience with ATS and the ATS product? Ive seen some negative posts on some of the diesel forums regarding ATS customer service, so I am a little wary at this point. But the product looks attractive.

Input appreciated.

silverbullet88

I have looked into both of those companies you mentioned. Very little information on either and I have also read very negative reviews about ats.

To add to your confusion there is also a company called jasper.

How do you monitor yours trans temp?

cayers71

I have looked into both of those companies you mentioned. Very little information on either and I have also read very negative reviews about ats.

To add to your confusion there is also a company called jasper.

How do you monitor yours trans temp?

Thanks for the response.

I use a TrailDash 2 for monitoring. Unfortunately, I didn't get any notice from the Jeep hot oil warning, and the temp on the trans fluid never went over 200 degrees.

I found several online companies which offer rebuilt transmission, but don't have confidence in any of them due to lack of positive feedback.

Finally, I have decided to purchase a new 2wd 42RLE and convert it to 4WD using parts from my existing trans. $1300 for the new trans and torque converter. Local shop quoted 3800 for a rebuild, so this is a nice cost savings via DIY labor.

Last edited:

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
$1300.00 is not bad even if you have to swap the rear housing for the 4wd. My close friend's family owns a transmission shop I use to work back in the day. I still frequent the shop. We have had numerous diesel guys come in with blown ATS transmissions. Aftermarket parts the customer paid ATS to have in their custom trans were not there and generally they lasted as long as stock trans. Poor transmissions to start with anyways. My buddy would rebuild them with the better stronger shafts and planetary gears/shells (like ATS claimed they did) and they would last a lot longer. So in the end I'm glad to hear you didn't pay all that money. Generally he charges around $950 to $1200.00 to rebuild an 42rle.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

cayers71

$1300.00 is not bad even if you have to swap the rear housing for the 4wd. My close friend's family owns a transmission shop I use to work back in the day. I still frequent the shop. We have had numerous diesel guys come in with blown ATS transmissions. Aftermarket parts the customer paid ATS to have in their custom trans were not there and generally they lasted as long as stock trans. Poor transmissions to start with anyways. My buddy would rebuild them with the better stronger shafts and planetary gears/shells (like ATS claimed they did) and they would last a lot longer. So in the end I'm glad to hear you didn't pay all that money. Generally he charges around $950 to $1200.00 to rebuild an 42rle.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for confirming I made the right choice. "Wholesale rebuilt transmission" just didn't sound right.

I found a shop called Florida Torque Converters that sells remanned TC for the 42RLE for about 180 delivered. http://www.floridatorqueconverters.com/Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Torque-Converter-61-1A.html That's about half of the cost of the remanned Mopar part and they have a lifetime warranty. That brings the total cost down to around $1200 including fluids and such.

I may take my spare trans and build it up with some stronger components. It then again that might be like polishing a turd. Or beefing a D30, and I'm already guilty of that. :thankyou:

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Thanks for confirming I made the right choice. "Wholesale rebuilt transmission" just didn't sound right.

I found a shop called Florida Torque Converters that sells remanned TC for the 42RLE for about 180 delivered. http://www.floridatorqueconverters.com/Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Torque-Converter-61-1A.html That's about half of the cost of the remanned Mopar part and they have a lifetime warranty. That brings the total cost down to around $1200 including fluids and such.

I may take my spare trans and build it up with some stronger components. It then again that might be like polishing a turd. Or beefing a D30, and I'm already guilty of that. :thankyou:

Can't believe they didn't want your old trans for a core. In that case you paid well. It doesn't hurt to either rebuild your old trans for a back up or resale. I would rebuild and keep it, if it were mine.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Well the dealership is crazy priced. I do not trust the dealership here they fucking blow. I could not find a new tranny or TC. I had AAMCO replace mine at a tune of I think it was @ $2300-2600, and that was rebuilt!

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Well the dealership is crazy priced. I do not trust the dealership here they fucking blow. I could not find a new tranny or TC. I had AAMCO replace mine at a tune of I think it was @ $2300-2600, and that was rebuilt!

Yeah, generally AAMCO is very expensive for rebuilds but reputable. Transmission rebuild prices vary so much for place to place. Generally most are on the high end and if you knew how much the rebuilt kit/parts cost, you would be very upset.

cayers71

Yeah, generally AAMCO is very expensive for rebuilds but reputable. Transmission rebuild prices vary so much for place to place. Generally most are on the high end and if you knew how much the rebuilt kit/parts cost, you would be very upset.

This is very true. I initially towed the Jeep to the local dealership thinking that the issue might be common and a simple fix. Their diagnostics consisted of topping off the trans fluid and then pronouncing that I needed a replacement (remanned) trans to the tune of $6700. The lesson here is that dealerships lack the ability to diagnose or repair complex transmission issues..the service advisor admitted this to me a when I questioned him. At least they didn't charge me anything for wasting my time.

Another reputable local shop charged me $100 for a thorough diagnosis and then quoted either 2k or 4k for partial or total rebuild. I didn't find get any reasonable local quotes, all were over 3k for a rebuild. Most of the coat is in labor charges, which is why this type of work is a big DIY win.

Top Bottom