Wave from O-H-I-O

Hey all, recently sold my TJ (sad day) which I was about to stretch and throw 1 tons under. I decided I wanted to build my first JKU. So I picked up a 2009 JKU with high miles with intention to swap in an LS (hopefully soon). Currently, she is bone stock and will be mostly off road use. Here is my build plans:

- EVO DTD w/EVO long arms (considered custom dual triangulated 4 link but I really don't have the time to re-engineer everything)
- Ultimate Dana 60's w/ ARB's & 4.88 gears (I know, I know... I wanted PR60's but delivery time was over 2 months and I felt very good about Ultimate 60's. Several guys have them around here, and I like the quality)
- Fusion 4x4 2.5 ton steering
- PSC ram assist
- 40" tires (still deciding)
- 17"~20" wheels (still deciding)
- Warn Zeon winch
- 6.0 or 6.2 LS w/ 6L80e tranny
- Armor and bumpers are all TBD

Looking forward to learning about everyones experiences on your builds.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Sounds like you should do some reading and research. Ultimate 60's are garbage. 4.88's with 40's? Double throw down in Ohio? How often do you go over 30mph on a trail?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Sounds like you should do some reading and research. Ultimate 60's are garbage. 4.88's with 40's? Double throw down in Ohio? How often do you go over 30mph on a trail?

Welcome from Phoenix AZ! As stated above you're going to need more than 4:88 gears even with an LS. If you do plan on going out of Ohio to wheel or are doing a lot of the whoop sections along all the powerline roads out there, you'll really want the Prorocks. With a DTD you won't even realize how much you're beating up your housings at speed. I think the rule of thumb is a 40 on an ultimate is like a 35 on a stock housing. It will bend or break under heavy use. Can't remember where I read that but regardless, spend the extra and cry once, you won't regret it. If money is an issue, you might be better off going with better axles and the bolt on coilovers. You would come out far ahead in dollars saved as the DTD is about $10,000 more than the bolt on system. That's like maybe $7-8 grand in your pocket even with the better axles. That's a lot cash to either put in the bank or into more parts. Either way it's something to think about, and you really don't want to buy axles twice.

Amrth

Hey all, recently sold my TJ (sad day) which I was about to stretch and throw 1 tons under. I decided I wanted to build my first JKU. So I picked up a 2009 JKU with high miles with intention to swap in an LS (hopefully soon). Currently, she is bone stock and will be mostly off road use. Here is my build plans:

- EVO DTD w/EVO long arms (considered custom dual triangulated 4 link but I really don't have the time to re-engineer everything)
- Ultimate Dana 60's w/ ARB's & 4.88 gears (I know, I know... I wanted PR60's but delivery time was over 2 months and I felt very good about Ultimate 60's. Several guys have them around here, and I like the quality)
- Fusion 4x4 2.5 ton steering
- PSC ram assist
- 40" tires (still deciding)
- 17"~20" wheels (still deciding)
- Warn Zeon winch
- 6.0 or 6.2 LS w/ 6L80e tranny
- Armor and bumpers are all TBD

Looking forward to learning about everyones experiences on your builds.

Welcome aboard:beer:

Thanks for the warm welcome. How are Ultimate 40's "garbage"?

4.88's with 40's and stock motor+tranny are indeed not enough. However, with LS + 6L80e is perfect as 1st gear is equivalent to 4:1.

Over 30mph in Ohio? There are plenty of versatile places to wheel for serious high speed. Silver lake in MI (~4hr drive) is awesome dunes. Also, Badlands off road park offers everything from trail riding, UROCK competitive rock crawling to sand dunes.

Sounds like you need to do some reading and research.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the warm welcome. How are Ultimate 40's "garbage"?

4.88's with 40's and stock motor+tranny are indeed not enough. However, with LS + 6L80e is perfect as 1st gear is equivalent to 4:1.

Over 30mph in Ohio? There are plenty of versatile places to wheel for serious high speed. Silver lake in MI (~4hr drive) is awesome dunes. Also, Badlands off road park offers everything from trail riding, UROCK competitive rock crawling to sand dunes.

Sounds like you need to do some reading and research.

Do you plan on doing the engine swap at the same time? If not, that gearing will suck.. regardless, I recommend checking out Dynatrac axles. If you really are planning on an engine swap, your going to punch yourself for not ordering up beefier axles to soak up that energy without breaking parts.

Andy5160

Hooked
Welcome to WAL
Look around do some research on axels, 40's and gears options.
There is some good advise here so before you pull the trigger on your set up do yourself a favor and search the forum. Unless you have all the cash in the pocket and know everything you need to know.

Top Bottom